Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Smoking Turkey for the Holidays 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Smoking Spiral cut hams makes for "Bomb" Ham. Great idea using lemon wedges to open the spirals. :thumbsup2:
Nothing much better than a twice smoked Ham.
Yeah probably best ham I've had in a while. Going to make more for sure. Cheap and easy family meal. The little bit of leftovers I had made for some good sandwiches.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:45 pm

MadPick wrote:
. We did an 8-lb turkey breast. I softened a stick of butter and then mixed some rub and garlic powder in it, then stuck it under the skin and smeared on top . . . then cooked at 325 for a few hours on the Recteq pellet smoker. Very good. thumbsup

Steve..... I'm disappointed you 'chickened' out and went back to your old ways...
I want to challenge you --- and anybody else --- to try another breast prepped the way I did it and have you decide which is better :bigsmile: I ***might*** consider doing a breast without slitting the skin at some point, but for how fantastic mine turned out, I'd be worried that I would be underwhelmed by the results. I most definitely have no reservations about the process I used now! I would gladly change my methods if I KNEW it would be better, but I'm tiring of experimenting after I've found something that works very well and meets my expectations!

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:48 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

JohnMBrowning wrote:
MadPick wrote:
. We did an 8-lb turkey breast. I softened a stick of butter and then mixed some rub and garlic powder in it, then stuck it under the skin and smeared on top . . . then cooked at 325 for a few hours on the Recteq pellet smoker. Very good. thumbsup

Steve..... I'm disappointed you 'chickened' out and went back to your old ways...
I want to challenge you --- and anybody else --- to try another breast prepped the way I did it and have you decide which is better :bigsmile: I ***might*** consider doing a breast without slitting the skin at some point, but for how fantastic mine turned out, I'd be worried that I would be underwhelmed by the results. I most definitely have no reservations about the process I used now!

Haha . . . yeah, I took the easy way out but it was still pretty darned good, so no regerts here. :bigsmile:

I'll think about it next time, though. I don't mind playing around a bit. You can always make a turkey soup if it all goes to hell, right??

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:57 am

lucasclay wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
Goal #2 --- smoke a spiral ham! Damn that looks good! How did you cut it to get it to splay out like that? I assumed you just set the ham on the grate, which would be minimally effective.... That looks perfect.

I've got a Cure81 ham sitting in the freezer.... I've always wanted to get one of their cherry smoked hams, but they are always $1 more /#.
I just put it on the grill and it opened up on its own. Didn't really have to do anything to it because it was already cooked. Honey mustard glaze first to help pick up some smoke flavor and then glazed with a homemade apple cranberry sauce towards the end. Added a few apple slices to help keep it from drying out. Really easy and came out great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sh3mxo31BfA
Followed this video, but I used a spiral cut.

Gotta ask.... did you set the ham on the grates with the flat down or on edge?
I'm gonna do this sooner rather than later as I planned..... I was chatting with my brother and he said there is no reason to wait for cherry wood to dry before using it --- he uses green wood all the time - he said it actually smokes better and longer !?!? I'm gonna believe him and plan on using some on a ham very soon.... just have to track down a glaze or recipe to use now.

And to add --- he agreed that hickory is ok on poultry if its a hot and fast cook, but tends to be strong when used for a low and slow cook.... he uses quite a bit of fresh hickory himself.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
lucasclay wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
Goal #2 --- smoke a spiral ham! Damn that looks good! How did you cut it to get it to splay out like that? I assumed you just set the ham on the grate, which would be minimally effective.... That looks perfect.

I've got a Cure81 ham sitting in the freezer.... I've always wanted to get one of their cherry smoked hams, but they are always $1 more /#.
I just put it on the grill and it opened up on its own. Didn't really have to do anything to it because it was already cooked. Honey mustard glaze first to help pick up some smoke flavor and then glazed with a homemade apple cranberry sauce towards the end. Added a few apple slices to help keep it from drying out. Really easy and came out great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sh3mxo31BfA
Followed this video, but I used a spiral cut.

Gotta ask.... did you set the ham on the grates with the flat down or on edge?
I'm gonna do this sooner rather than later as I planned..... I was chatting with my brother and he said there is no reason to wait for cherry wood to dry before using it --- he uses green wood all the time - he said it actually smokes better and longer !?!? I'm gonna believe him and plan on using some on a ham very soon.... just have to track down a glaze or recipe to use now.

And to add --- he agreed that hickory is ok on poultry if its a hot and fast cook, but tends to be strong when used for a low and slow cook.... he uses quite a bit of fresh hickory himself.
I think it was flat down, I just kinda tossed it on there.
Yeah thats good to know on the hickory. I use it a lot when smoking pork butt for pulled pork. Usually use apple and hickory or mesquite together and it comes out great. Don't think ill use anything but fruit wood in the future with turkey.

I always heard green wood tastes bitter? I could definitely see it smoke longer though.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally i would not smoke Meats with Green Wood. Some say yes, many say no. If you aren't actually Burning the wood as fuel for the heat, IE: just using chunks or chips for flavor with Charcoal etc, it would likely be fine.

It looks to me like Lucasclays Ham was on it's side, not flat down. Look at the way the spiral cut slices are opening while smoking, it wouldn't do that flat end down.

It looks great, i will do my next one that way.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:09 pm

lucasclay wrote:

I always heard green wood tastes bitter? I could definitely see it smoke longer though.

Yeah - I've heard and read the same too.... but I feel comfortable trusting my brother on this one. Its going to come down to how soon/badly I want to smoke my ham :bigsmile: I'm even contemplating tossing a couple of chunks into the oven for a while to 'kiln dry' it --- my only concern is smelling up the kitchen and oven by doing so....

And yes, this will be on the WSM with charcoal, so it would only be 2-3-4 chunks on there for flavor.

I ran across this vid today that was kinda interesting..... and nerdy, but useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4bNyeyOiY
Reaffirms that there is nothing wrong with my dry brining method that I've been using.

And just to say.... I had my 4th (full) meal off the breast last night - open faced sammy! I was low on spuds and stuffing, so I smeared the bread with the spuds, slathered with gravy, stacked the turkey, covered with stuffing and coated with gravy.... FANTASTIC! It was almost sacrileges to put gravy on the turkey, but the smoke flavor still came thru all the other flavors! I still have a full half a breast to go too!

I know I have said it before in the smoker thread, but you guys really need to try some pecan with birds.... once you do, you'll be pissed that you hadn't done it before!

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
lucasclay wrote:

Yeah - I've heard and read the same too.... but I feel comfortable trusting my brother on this one. Its going to come down to how soon/badly I want to smoke my ham :bigsmile: I'm even contemplating tossing a couple of chunks into the oven for a while to 'kiln dry' it --- my only concern is smelling up the kitchen and oven by doing so....

And yes, this will be on the WSM with charcoal, so it would only be 2-3-4 chunks on there for flavor.

I ran across this vid today that was kinda interesting..... and nerdy, but useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4bNyeyOiY
Reaffirms that there is nothing wrong with my dry brining method that I've been using.

And just to say.... I had my 4th (full) meal off the breast last night - open faced sammy! I was low on spuds and stuffing, so I smeared the bread with the spuds, slathered with gravy, stacked the turkey, covered with stuffing and coated with gravy.... FANTASTIC! It was almost sacrileges to put gravy on the turkey, but the smoke flavor still came thru all the other flavors! I still have a full half a breast to go too!

I know I have said it before in the smoker thread, but you guys really need to try some pecan with birds.... once you do, you'll be pissed that you hadn't done it before!
Yeah. Think I'll do apple pecan next time with poultry. Not sure what to make for Christmas dinner, either another ham or maybe a turkey breast, yours looked good.

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:46 am

You won't be disappointed!!!

How long did it take to smoke up that ham? Just want to gage how long to set the WSM up for.... I'm guessing ~3-4hrs?
Did you pull it by temp or by looks?

Right now I'm thinking it will be a Xmas ham.....
A meatloaf is coming next as soon as I finish up this turkey....

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
You won't be disappointed!!!

How long did it take to smoke up that ham? Just want to gage how long to set the WSM up for.... I'm guessing ~3-4hrs?
Did you pull it by temp or by looks?

Right now I'm thinking it will be a Xmas ham.....
A meatloaf is coming next as soon as I finish up this turkey....
I left it on too long because I didn't want it to get cold. Probably 4.5 hrs. I put it on same time as turkey and took it off at the same time. I think it was around 180 when I pulled it. Shouldn't have had it on that long, couple spots dried out a little. Could probably do it in 3 hrs maybe less. The grill wasn't very got either.

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:51 am

I'm boiling down the breast bones from my smoked turkey..... WHOA --- it smells REALLY smoky!!!!
What does the collective say about making soup or gravy from smoked turkey carcass?
I'm having second thoughts at the moment....

Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lucasclay wrote:
Never made a turkey befor. Apple and hickory wood on the webber kettle for about 4 hrs now. Almost done.Image

Look at the size of the balls on that turkey!
:bigsmile:

Seriously though, I just bought my first pellet smoker so I'm thinking to try a Christmas turkey on it. Looks like some great ideas here.
We flipped things around this year and I smoked a sliced ham on the charcoal grill; lots of work keeping the temp down because that old grill is too drafty, but the ham turned out awesome, like meat candy. Only seasoning I used was some good southern dry rub my buddy made; he won't tell me what's in it and he moved so I can't get more, but it's really good stuff and I need to find more of something similar.
This thread reminds me I should have used the old Weber that's sitting right next to the big charcoal grill. Duh.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
lucasclay wrote:
Never made a turkey befor. Apple and hickory wood on the webber kettle for about 4 hrs now. Almost done.Image

Look at the size of the balls on that turkey!
:bigsmile:

Seriously though, I just bought my first pellet smoker so I'm thinking to try a Christmas turkey on it. Looks like some great ideas here.
We flipped things around this year and I smoked a sliced ham on the charcoal grill; lots of work keeping the temp down because that old grill is too drafty, but the ham turned out awesome, like meat candy. Only seasoning I used was some good southern dry rub my buddy made; he won't tell me what's in it and he moved so I can't get more, but it's really good stuff and I need to find more of something similar.
This thread reminds me I should have used the old Weber that's sitting right next to the big charcoal grill. Duh.
Webers are great, they can do anything. Have 2 of them, both were free one needed a new grate. Have a old barrel smoker but I've never used it, I learned on the weber and its always been a solid choice.

Yeah i was surprised how good reheating a ham on the grill can be. Easier too, less dishes to do later.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I'm boiling down the breast bones from my smoked turkey..... WHOA --- it smells REALLY smoky!!!!
What does the collective say about making soup or gravy from smoked turkey carcass?
I'm having second thoughts at the moment....
Smokey turkey soup sounds good. Maybe add some canned broth to tone down the smoke a little?

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:21 pm

Yondering wrote:
Only seasoning I used was some good southern dry rub my buddy made; he won't tell me what's in it and he moved so I can't get more, but it's really good stuff and I need to find more of something similar.

I would bet it is something like this one....
https://www.thespruceeats.com/magic-dus ... rub-335886
I'm starting to branch out into different rubs/dry brines right now.... I need to pick up some cumin and mustard that can easily be added to the Memphis rub that I'm currently using --- it seems like all the 'better' rub recipes call for them... I'm a big believer in that a rub should have sugar in it - so many people say 'no sugar, it will burn' but I have never found that to be a problem. The sugar helps offset the salt if you are dry brining (especially for long times) or if you go too heavy with it.

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next