Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Enjoying a freedom here not seen elsewhere in the US 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up a jug of this stuff in Duvall since I was always intrigued by it's weird political debate on its legality in various states. WA is one of the few that allows retail sale of raw milk.

It tastes pretty good, I did it straight and also a 145f low temp pasteurization. The flavor is preserved when its pasteurized at that temp it seems, and it almost turns creamier from it.

I think I'll pasteurize the rest of the stuff myself, I did the research and it doesn't seem like there is anymore risk from raw milk as you do from eating raw oysters, beef, or eggs.

I don't know why so many states don't allow it to be purchased. You can buy a raw chicken breast at the grocery store and eat it raw, why can't you buy raw milk?

It's stupid, but at least WA is one of the few that aren't about this specific topic.

Sun May 23, 2021 7:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting. I grew up on a dairy farm, and raw milk was all that I knew for a long time. You can't beat it, still warm from the cow. :bigsmile:

I guess it's what you get used to, as with anything. I thought store-bought milk was total shit for a while, until I got used to it!

It's been a looong time since I've had raw milk, though. I'd probably have to re-adjust to it, lol.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun May 23, 2021 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way back when... when there were still unelectrified parts of Appalachia, when most roads were dirt or tarred gravel, and when the milkman used to deliver our milk from the dairy down yonder, the milk came in glass bottles sealed with cardboard pogs.

You either scooped the cream off the top or stirred it in. I think it was still pasteurized. I recall the advent of 'homogenized' milk... and there went your cream (pre-scooped off and then sold separately)

Later on, here on the west coast, I used to get raw milk from a health food store (the filthy hippies) down on 6th Ave in Tacoma. It too was bottled in glass and the cream would float to the top. Great stuff, raw milk.

Your dairyman needs to be super conscientious because the bacteria (listeria and campylobacter) that can get in it is quite toxic, especially for preg-a-nant folks of any gender.

Worth the risk.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun May 23, 2021 10:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was a kid living in Spring, TX, my mom would fill gallon jars from a holding tank and leave the little bit of change that they use to charge in a coffee can at a local dairy. She would also separate the cream off the top and use it for making recipes.

I turned out just fine. :zombie:

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Mon May 24, 2021 12:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent!

I am ALMOST brave enough to start yogurt with raw milk.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon May 24, 2021 4:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grew up on raw Jersey milk from the dairy across the street from me.

Would bring home a gallon pickle jar sealed with a piece of wax paper under the lid, after feeding the calves and cleaning stalls.

My grandma would scrape the cream off and then I'd spend lots of time churning the cream into butter. She'd roll the butter into baseball sized balls, wrap them in wax paper then into the freezer.

Hard to find raw milk anymore.

As far as I know there is only 1 dairy left in all of Pierce county, that's Bert Haugen on the old Buckley/Sumner highway.

Enumclaw had dozens and dozens back in the day...a family could make a decent living milking 30-40 cows.

Now virtually all dairies are gone and only those milking upwards of 400+ are still around. But they are dwindling down as well. The farms are getting sold off and housing being built on the land.

The times they are a changin'

-- Travis A Kisner

Mon May 24, 2021 5:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

we have a farmer down here a few blocks from the house, he has 3 dairy cows, a couple dozen goats and who knows how many chickens, he sells the eggs, and raw milk....I have yet to get lucky enough to get the cow's milk....it is first come first serve, you gotta time it right. We did get goats milk and some goat cheese from him the other day.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon May 24, 2021 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenews/s ... 193992.php
I thought you going to talk about the annual Fremont Naked Bike Parade.

Mon May 24, 2021 7:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a dove release just across the bridge from the freemont solstice parade about ten years ago.
Way to many libaturd hippies for my liking. But the money was good.

Steve
Have you been home since we painted you houses?

Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]