Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Butter: Is it getting harder? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
oldkim wrote:
Maybe the modern refrigerators are more efficient and colder? So it takes longer to melt? Even on hot items??

I've left my butter out for a day or so, so I don't think it's a matter of not coming up to temp.

I’ve noticed the same thing

Thu May 27, 2021 9:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sun May 30, 2021 6:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, over the last few months I've bought a few kinds of "premium" butter . . . Kerrygold and similar.

I've gotta admit, they HAVE been better than the cheap stuff that I was buying before. They seem to be softer, and to have more flavor.

So for now, I'm gonna keep plunking down the coin for the high-end stuff.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried turning down the AC?

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:39 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

ironworker78 wrote:
Have you tried turning down the AC?

That’s crazy talk! icon_eek

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya gotta let it thaw out before you start chewing on a stick, chubby. :bigsmile:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:34 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I really love this thread for the wisdom. I’ve been a victim of routine for a long time. “Mom made it this way” or “no I always order it this way.”

The older I get the more I appreciate the knowledge and experience of others. One of my long time friends is a restauranteur and told me some years ago “always ask your waitress what’s good.” He was right. Most notably recently we were on vacation on the coast and visited a local restaurant for a nice dinner. I’d had a hankering for lobster for a while so I asked the waitress about the lobster.

Her response “all the seafood here is frozen crap. Get the lamb stew. It’s locally sourced and the veggies come from our chef’s garden.” It was amazing!!!

I’m getting long winded here but to summarize I’m starting to realize how valuable the collective knowledge of our experiences can be. Even on something as seemingly simple as butter.

TLDR. I’m getting old. You guys know some good shit. I appreciate you. Carry on.

Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:20 pm

I was a margarine guy forever for this very reason --- Country Crock was ALWAYS spreadable right out of the fridge. I too had fallen for the 'butter is bad' narrative that was prevalent throughout the 80s and 90s (along with eggs) and just got used to using CC in place of butter --- it never really bothered me at all. With in the last year or so, I've been moving back towards butter.... and have been annoyed that its hard as a rock out of the fridge. I've taken to keeping a stick in a small tupperware container on top of the microwave to keep it soft --- got a cat that likes to lick butter, so a lid IS needed. Its amazing how soft it is at room temp -- kinda scary at times because when you go to butter toast/garlic bread/ect.. it just soaks into the bread and it seems like I'm using WAAAAY more than I should.... I'm starting to get past that now.

What I did find interesting is when I used butter to make Kraft mac'n cheese ---- it turned out HORRIBLE!!! It was ok when I first made it, but was really greasy and oily on the reheats..... I had NEVER had that problem when using CC.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:50 am

I have noticed that in the last couple of weeks the butter stick that I keep out to be 'spreadably soft' has gotten much more difficult to spread..... guess thats what happens when the inside temp drops from 72/73 to 67/68....
Kinda sucks....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3