Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 275  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Home made pizza.
Make the dough in the breadmaker.

Lady friend is coming out this weekend, told her I would take her out to any place she wanted.
Port Townsend, Seattle, Bellevue..................
Daniels Broiler, Palisade, Met Grill, anywhere she wanted to go.

Said she would rather just help me make a pizza.
With my seasoned garlic Parmesan dough.

Good girl. Saved me $200-300 anyhow. Hahahaha

Tue May 01, 2018 12:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone smoked asparagus?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue May 01, 2018 12:38 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Has anyone smoked asparagus?

Maybe this guy.
I always had trouble keeping it lit.

Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Smoking asparagus would be interesting - veggies don't soften until they hit about 186, when the pectin breaks down. I just lightly grease a pan, throw on some Santa Maria seasoning, sit it on low heat and then let them sit undisturbed until they char on one side, them flip and let them do the same on the other. Takes about 15 minutes total.

Tue May 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Boiled down a ham bone yesterday to make a batch of ham'nbeans..... damn i never knew how easy it was to make kick ass beans. Sis told me the secret spice for han'nbeans that I never would have thought of..... Old Bay. It puts such a nice snap in the sauce -- of course there is a splash of bbg sauce, couple good squirts of mustard, worcestershire and dash of A1 along with lots of garlic and black pepper..... better than any Busch's gourmet beans. This batch 'should' be big enough to feed me for a week+ and put a tub or two in the freezer.

Interesting thing happened on the last batch I made --- spiced it up really nice - turned out fantastic - it was REALLY heavy with ham!!!! Decided that I wanted to 'thin' it down some -- Sis had sent me a recipe for southwestern beans that said to throw a can of tomatoes in.... thought that sounded like a good idea..... To my surprise, the tomatoes washed out all the seasoning! I had to re-spice it to bring the flavor back. I'm gonna skip the tomatoes on this batch....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri May 04, 2018 9:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made paprika chicken ham roll ups.........sorta invented it myself, using the classic chicken cordon bleu as a loose basis

https://www.google.com/search?q=chicken ... irefox-b-1

Make a dry rub with a good smoked Spanish paprika (Hungarian will work), a tiny amount off cayenne, other dry spice to taste (even garlic powder or onion in the dry rub), rub on boneless, skinless chicken thighs and pound flat, and more dry rub if you like. Grill to just partially done on bbq grill, remove from grill. Roll with thin ham type product of your choice and cheese or not of your choice - I used some Italian cheeses, but even blue cheese varieties work. Hold together with tooth picks. Toss rolls in oiled baking dish. Throw some other herbs in - Mexican oregano, bay leaf, etc, pour in a quarter inch of marsala or port or wine.....a good booze. Bake at 375°F until chicken done (only takes a few minutes).

Your spouse will be pretty damned impressed.

EDIT: Typos and added link

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Last edited by Pablo on Fri May 04, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 04, 2018 10:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
I made a paprika chicken ham roll ups.........sorta invented it myself

Make a dry rub with a good smoked Spanish paprika (Hungarian will work), a tiny amount off cayenne, other dry spice to taste, rub on boneless, skinless chicken thighs and pound flat, and more dry rub if you like. Grill to just partially done on bbq grill, remove from grill. Roll with thin ham type product of your choice and cheese or not of your choice - I used some Italian cheeses, but even blue cheese varieties work. Hold together with tooth picks. Toss rolls in oiled baking dish. Throw some other herbs in - Mexican oregano, bay leaf, etc, pour in a quarter inch of marsala or port or wine.....a good booze. Bake at 375°F until chicken done (only takes a few minutes).

Nice...a variation of Chicken Cordon Bleu....

Fri May 04, 2018 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Pablo wrote:
I made a paprika chicken ham roll ups.........sorta invented it myself

Make a dry rub with a good smoked Spanish paprika (Hungarian will work), a tiny amount off cayenne, other dry spice to taste, rub on boneless, skinless chicken thighs and pound flat, and more dry rub if you like. Grill to just partially done on bbq grill, remove from grill. Roll with thin ham type product of your choice and cheese or not of your choice - I used some Italian cheeses, but even blue cheese varieties work. Hold together with tooth picks. Toss rolls in oiled baking dish. Throw some other herbs in - Mexican oregano, bay leaf, etc, pour in a quarter inch of marsala or port or wine.....a good booze. Bake at 375°F until chicken done (only takes a few minutes).

Nice...a variation of Chicken Cordon Bleu....

Pretty much. I love me some smoked paprika. Lousy picture:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri May 04, 2018 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Boiled down a ham bone yesterday to make a batch of ham'nbeans..... damn i never knew how easy it was to make kick ass beans.

Oh yeah... the ham bone imparts a TON of flavor... After xmas it's bean soup for a week.. :D

Quote:
Sis told me the secret spice for han'nbeans that I never would have thought of..... Old Bay.

Old Bay goes on everything..... :D Try it on some rippled potato chips...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat May 05, 2018 6:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those of us doing the low carb thing portobello pizzas are pretty good.

Thu May 10, 2018 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kalbi style flank steak. :thumbsup2:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu May 10, 2018 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Safeway has $3.98 lobster tails!

Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Spencer steaks from Double D with onion salt potatoes and asparagus finished off with tiramisu. Food coma time

Fri May 11, 2018 6:52 pm

I've been away.

I've eaten a few good things:
Oxtail Benedict. Actually, not so awesome. The oxtail was not great - flavourful, but overpowered by tomato. Since the bread wasn't toasted there was no texture difference between wet bread and braised oxtail. The egg and hollandaise were reasonable though.

At the same place (Sugarcane, at the Venetian in Las Vegas), duck and waffle.
Waffle, topped with a confit duck leg, a fried duck egg, some parsley, and mustard-infused maple syrup. This was FANTASTIC.

At the Hash-House A Go-Go, their fried chicken benedict:
From the bottom up - country potatoes, fried spaghetti sticks (for .. presentation?), a massive biscuit, spinach, slices of tomato, bacon, a chicken-fried butterflied chicken breast, scrambled eggs, then that browned and melted cheese as a hat. The hollandaise is the rear of the two cups, with a sausage gravy in front. The sausage gravy was at least 60% sausage. Maybe more.

I was choosy about what I finished. Way too much food, but surprisingly cheap. That's a regular sized coffee cup at the back.

Oxtail Bibimbap: Image
I forget where this was, but I do not regret finishing this. It was delicious.

Some sushi: Image

I made tacos this week - skirt steak, cooked hot over fire, along with charred broccoli, asparagus, tomatillo, and onions.

Last night was kimchi-fried "rice" (cauliflower rice, in fact) with veggies, and gochujang glazed chicken wings.

You'll spot in the ackground of the duck and waffle photo that there's a cocktail. I have replicated it - it's a rum manhattan.
Rum, vermouth, bitters and some orange peel. I've been using molasses and citrus bitters.

For a little while now, I've been referring to my freezer as "Noah's Ark", because there are so many different kinds of animal in there. Then... a couple of days ago, while mentioning to my neighbour that I had duck eggs coming from a farm and how they're both tasty, and make brownies gooey and delicious, he gave me another species of egg. These are the eggs I have now:

From from right, working anti-clockwise we have quail, chicken, duck and now turkey, too.

I'll be posting again, once I'm back in the time zone and cooking some more.

Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Since it was so cool yesterday, I decided to cook up the ham that was in the fridge to warm up the house (it was down to 68 for christ sake and I REFUSE to turn the furnace back on) -- seemed like good timing to me. Damn -- these hormel hams are good.... I'll be eating like a king for the next two weeks -- ham on EVERYTHING!!! Good stock of sliced cheese in the fridge from previous $1/pak sales and a rain check for more - LOTS of ham sammys ahead. Just wish egg prices would come back down for hamn'eggs..... So pleased to look over the bone -- lots of incredibly tender meat tucked in and around the bone --- I foresee a awesome batch of hamn'beans later in the summer once I work thru the previous batch.

Pleased with myself for going down to QFC to get a raincheck for two more hams @ $0.50/#!!!!! I'm doubtful that they will get anymore in within the next two months (rain check good for 60 days) since ham season is more fall/winter, but if they do I'm ready to score big again!! Hopefully I'll have enuff room in the freezer to keep one for a while. These hams were a steal @$1/#, @$0.50 they are a gimme.

Decided to try something a little different this time.... I cut the flat face of the package off and removed the ham and discarded the bone cap and pad from the package -- allowed the ham to drain for ~15-20 minutes. Put the ham back into the package and set in a large bowl with flat side up - poured ~1.5 cups {half cherry 7up - half cola} -- didn't have any cherry coke - into the pack and let it marinade for ~2 hours before cooking hoping the soda would soak into the meat more than just pouring it into the pan before cooking. Flipped ham into pan and poured the soda over the ham and cook per directions basting 3 times. I screwed up the glaze a little - I used juice from the pan to mix with the glaze packet instead of water - which prevented the glaze from melting and bubbling, but it still browned the rind nicely and since I made the glaze pretty runny, it got EVERYWHERE.... didn't even use all the glaze since it seemed like way too much. Turned out tasty as hell.... again. Food of the gods.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon May 21, 2018 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 275  Next