Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use mainly cast iron. But I do have one tfal non stick.
They have a limited life. After bear a year, it's still doing well.
I'm meticulous about not overheating it or scratching it.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:21 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
In a couple of months of regular use, it will be a piece of sticky crap. I've tried just about every gimmick pan out there and at first, they seem amazing, but after a couple of months.... garbage. I've gone to T-Fal SS:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Fal-Perfor ... CDEALw_wcB
Even if I burn something I can still use any type of scrubber to clean it without worrying about hurting the finish.
Also, I found cast iron pans to be amazing. Once seasoned properly they are better than Teflon. Also, my Blackstone griddle is amazing.

^^^^ This ^^^^ I picked up one of the 'as seen on tv Orgreenic' pans --- worked well for a while, but now I fine I HAVE to use oil or butter in it to keep everything from sticking.... Basically use it like a cast iron -- keep it well greased/oiled and its good to go -- let something run away on you and you are scrubbing the hell out of it. Its still better than the teflon pans tho.... but still prefer my cast irons.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since today is national bosses day I decided last night to make bourbon pineapple chicken sausages for work today. Cooked them in the instant pot last night then finished today over charcoal

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albert Einstein

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:27 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I'm still undecided on it, but in the past all of my non stick pans eventually started to stick.
That's why I bought this set from Costco and saved the box.
Lifetime cash refund.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Low heat is the key. Don't scorch it.

I made ham potato and corn chowder.....OMG so good.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Rix86 wrote:
Low heat is the key. Don't scorch it.

This is the key for any pan... as I've been learning the hard way. Its really difficult to have a heavy cast iron skillet on the stove top and have the (gas) burner dial set between 2 and 3.... anything higher and it shoots right thru the smoke point of any oil/fat.

On a side note.... is anyone familiar with any sort of 'burner plates' that can be put between the burner and the pan to distribute the heat better? I find that my 10" and 12" pans are too big for the flame patterns for my burners --- at a usable flame setting I end up with a hot center and cool outer ring in my pans. Having a plate to spread the heat out more would be ideal.... I thought I've heard of them before, but have never seen them.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just heat it up real slow so that the heat has a chance to move outward. Also if you are searing a steak you do want it screaming hot about 500 degrees. Also, grapeseed and avacado oil have the highest smoke point.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am

Yeah.... I've tried that.... long preheats too. Still a hot center. I think the fundamental problem is a 3" burner under a 10/12" pan -- a 4 or 5" burner or a double ring burner would be so much better.... but I'm not ready to replace the stove for that yet. When I make hashbrowns or pancakes in the big pans I always end up with a very brown center and light outer ring. I seem to recall seeing ~1/4" thick cast or steel plate ~6-8" in diameter that is used to spread the heat --- especially for lighter aluminium or SS pans.... just don't know what they are called or where to find them.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My stove has 4 different size burners and the oval center one.
Lots of choices

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Made some fresh tortellini. Filling is a mix of ricotta, mushroom, mozzarella, parmesan, sausage, and arugula. Turned out fantastic. Used a red sauce to help cur through the creamy cheeses. Takes a bit longer, but so tasty.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Baked these goat cheese and shallot tarts this afternoon.
Appetizers for tomorrows combined birthday and Halloween party.

Attachment:
goat cheese.jpg

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:24 pm

I finally got around to making a batch of brownies last night.... nothing special to start, per usual as I make the box brownies --- use 3 eggs instead of 2, added ~1/3 cup of sour cream (if you haven't tried it - DO IT!!!).... then I got a little creative.... Had some bacon grease in the skillet, so I used that to grease the pan -- had been saving some 'bacon pan scrapings' for eggs, but decided to throw those in the mix too -- decided to go really hell bent and chopped up a jalapeno really fine (only used half) and threw that in too.... Turned out (pretty) great!!! I think next go around I'm gonna use the whole jalapeno and 2 strips of bacon --- it should be even BETTER!!!

The jalapeno really melds well with the chocolate - nice little hint of flavor - the sweetness of the mix can easily handle more. The bacon bits added only a faint hint of bacon, so next time subbing some bacon grease for the oil and adding 2 strips should really set it off!
It really changes up a boring box brownie mix.

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I finally got around to making a batch of brownies last night.... nothing special to start, per usual as I make the box brownies --- use 3 eggs instead of 2, added ~1/3 cup of sour cream (if you haven't tried it - DO IT!!!).... then I got a little creative.... Had some bacon grease in the skillet, so I used that to grease the pan -- had been saving some 'bacon pan scrapings' for eggs, but decided to throw those in the mix too -- decided to go really hell bent and chopped up a jalapeno really fine (only used half) and threw that in too.... Turned out (pretty) great!!! I think next go around I'm gonna use the whole jalapeno and 2 strips of bacon --- it should be even BETTER!!!

The jalapeno really melds well with the chocolate - nice little hint of flavor - the sweetness of the mix can easily handle more. The bacon bits added only a faint hint of bacon, so next time subbing some bacon grease for the oil and adding 2 strips should really set it off!
It really changes up a boring box brownie mix.

:nicepif: :Init:

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smash burgers. Each patty is 1/4 cup of beef burger. Cooked in a hot cast iron. Real tasty.

Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
Made some fresh tortellini. Filling is a mix of ricotta, mushroom, mozzarella, parmesan, sausage, and arugula. Turned out fantastic. Used a red sauce to help cur through the creamy cheeses. Takes a bit longer, but so tasty.

Been gone for awhile...

Nicely Done! :thumbsup2:

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 4145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 277  Next