Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 275  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good God, Chris.

Bring me the other half!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:10 pm

So.... I assembled my casserole on teusday -- half a bag of egg noodles on the bottom of the pan - mixed can of cream of mushroom soup, can of my homemade broth, bag of mixed veggies, chopped up smoked breasts and half a bag of slivered almonds.... I HAD to get the almonds --- they put such a satisfying crunch in there! I was amazed that it all fit in my casserole dish --- I was betting I'd have some left over.
Attachment:
20221122_175335.jpg

It smelled sooooo good as I was mixing it.... Got it all together when I noticed the onion still sitting on the counter.... :blackcloud1: DAMMIT!!!! I diced up ~1/3 of the onion and just threw it on top.

Cooked it up last night - into the oven @325. I checked at 30 minutes..... I was horrified to see that it WASN'T bubbling!?!?! And even worse - there was NO liquid in the noodles!!!! Panic mode set in - I added ~1/4 cup of water by poking holes thru the mix and pouring it in. Another 15 minutes and no change..... so I added another 1/2 cup of water. 20 minutes later I could see the liquid bubbling in the noodles and the mix bubbling on top --- so I topped it off with some crushed ritz crackers.

Attachment:
20221123_193949.jpg

Turned nice and tasty!!!! But..... due to my mistake of not having enuff liquid in there and the excessive cook time - I had blown all the smoke flavor out of the dish :wink05: It was just a 'really good chicken casserole' instead of a 'killer smoked chicken casserole' that I was shooting for.....

Lessons learned and hopefully not forgotten.... add more broth to the mix - one can was not enuff and/or add more broth to the noodles so they cook from the get go..... I've got more than enuff fixings to make another one after I get sick of this one and crave it again. I'll be having plenty of turkey to use soon too!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gochuganjg smoked wings.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JB damn never done it with almonds or ritz. my mom used to add crushed ruffle chips to the top for crunch looks good.

pablo well done

keystone WOOOOW

no cooking for me lol

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:53 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Gochuganjg smoked wings.

Oh dear god, please tell me more.

Wings in my freezer . . . check.
Tub o' gochujang in my fridge . . . check.

I'm ready!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:05 pm

cmica wrote:
JB damn never done it with almonds or ritz. my mom used to add crushed ruffle chips to the top for crunch looks good.

pablo well done

keystone WOOOOW

no cooking for me lol

Yeah ---- almonds in casseroles was mom's signature!!!! Water chestnuts work good too --- just something to give it a 'crunch' instead of mushy..... makes it really nice!

I had planned on using stovetop stuffing for the topping, but being that I have 'many' rolls of crescent rolls, I figured I could get by with just some crackers for crunchy topping.... in hindsight, since I screwed up with the amount of liquid --- it was a good thing :bigsmile:

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Gochuganjg smoked wings.

Oh dear god, please tell me more.

Wings in my freezer . . . check.
Tub o' gochujang in my fridge . . . check.

I'm ready!

I brined the wings for like 18hrs. Seasoned them. On smoker for about 1.5 hours at 225. About 20min at 275 for a bit of crisp at the end.
Sauce is a base of butter, season for spice. Honey and brown sugar, fresh garlic. And then your gochganjg sauce. Pretty simple. They are incredible!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, that sounds fantastic.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To those who want more simple, cheersImageImage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Our Thanksgiving plans fell through but did our cook today. Picked up a NY Strip loin roast that Safeway had on a half off sale (paid $46, was $93) Did a reverse sear on the Kettle today. Came out really good.

Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoa

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:35 am

Damn Damon --- that looks so tasty!!! You've inspired me again to make popovers --- something I've been wanting to do for a while now that I have stocked back up on flour and other baking goods - I've got a bunch of chicken broth that I jarred up that would make a killer gravy to dip them in!!! Damn deal on crescent rolls has made it too easy not to make popovers....

I've been switching back and forth between turkey sammys and chicken casserole for the last two weeks --- finally finished up the casserole last night.... and I'm already craving it again ---- it was that damn good and I've got turkey I can use up too!

Tonight is going to be a burger in the cast iron.... got the craving for beef with ketchup and mustard. Too cold to smoke up the meatloaf in the freezer....

I picked up a bag of spuds for Tday with the intent of making some mashys and hasselbacks.... still haven't done it yet. I've been loving roasting the diced spuds in a cast iron pan in the oven with SPG --- they have been turning out soooooo good --- so much better than trying to fry them in the pan! NO burning and even browning and crispyness!!! Got some going right now to go with a couple of fried eggs....

Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:36 am

Planned on making a burger tonight, but when I took the pack out of the meat drawer at 5:30 it was still frozen after two days :blackcloud1: So after a lot of consideration, plan B was popovers and gravy with leftover turkey.... damn you Damon....

You have to tell me your recipe..... tonight I used 3 eggs, 1c flour, 1c milk, salt and ~2T oil - 400 for 15 min and another 25 at 375....

Attachment:
20221204_195734.jpg

Not bad.... but still didn't 'pop' enuff like mom's used to. I don't know if its because I'm using a 12 hole muffin pan.... mom used glass ramekins. I don't want to go buy a popover pan or even a 6 hole 'big' muffin pan, but I may have to - my best guess is it needs to be deeper to get the big 'pop'.

I preheated the pan with ~1.5t of tallow in each hole.... damn if when the were done there was still lots of tallow in each hole..... Shows me that you really don't need that much.

Gravy turned out really good --- split the popovers and poured the mixed turkey and gravy over them.... NICE!!!! The flavor and the texture of the popovers brought back some awesome memories! I just need to figure out how to get the size now....

I made it thru five of them tonight....

Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoa Oly... just perfect

Jb not bad, interesting form

bacon mash, beans and wings (keystones mix) only on grill for an hr. didn't go heavy on gochujang since I never had it. a finger dip had a nice heat. good amount of garlic and honey taste. gochujang kicks in after, might double up amount next time

Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 275  Next