Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great Story! Great history, and re-interpretation for your situation.

That plate looks awesome :thumbsup2:

I also like the re-thinking for texture for next time.

Can I ask what the source was for the duck? I've read Western Washington ducks can have flavor issues due to diet, so just curious.

Regardless, awesome post! :cheers2:

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:bow: Thanks for the story! Looks awesome. Never had the real thing.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 am

NWGunner wrote:
Can I ask what the source was for the duck? I've read Western Washington ducks can have flavor issues due to diet, so just curious.

I don't know - I found this one pre-frozen at the local Safeway, at the weird-end of the frozen meals, as opposed to with the meat. I can't remember the source, since I broke it down a couple of weeks back and so don't have the packaging any longer. My wife says to keep an eye out for another one, though, so if I find the same brand I can check. Also, I now own a Beretta over-under, so I can actually take people up on hunting trips now, too.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 am

I have been getting into brown rice lately -- like the texture over white -- but having trouble finding seasoning to make it pop. Craving the 'sweet teriyaki' sauce that you get at all the shops, but didn't want to go hunting to find a good one off the shelf. Went googling and found this...
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/res ... ivity-feed
Seems easy enough.... I've got a big bottle of soy sauce that never gets used, so I thought this would be a good way to use it up. Went out and got some corn starch (I've never needed it before), minced garlic (usually use powder) and some ginger root (damn powdered ginger is $$$). Made some up last night and .... DAMN - just as good if not better than any sauce I've had a teriyaki joint!!!! Easy to adjust to suit taste.

Bonus --- I really like the sesame ginger marinade (Lawrys - can't find anymore) for chicken and pork chops on the grill (mmmmmm). Read the ingredients on the bottle.... pretty much the same thing but with the addition of vinegar, sesame oil and citrus juice.... thats easy enough to add. Gonna up the grilling game now!!!

I never knew it was that easy... or that GOOD!!! Pretty cheap too compared to the sauces that I see on the shelves --- no use wasting money when you can do better yourself.

Next search/quest will be chicken satay and peanut sauce....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds delicious, nicely done! :thumbsup2:

There are recipes out there where you can use fresh grated ginger instead of powdered, or a combo.

Also, some call for Mirin, which adds acidity.

By the way, the Seattle Times had an interesting article in the last year or so, about Teriyaki joints here, and one thing that adds to the unique taste of the Teriyaki here, .vs elsewhere is the addition of pineapple juice. It adds a citrus note without making it cloyingly sweet with the brown sugar.

Good stuff, JB, now I want some Teriyaki Chicken :bigsmile:

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Nice - I'll make it a point to pick up some pineapple juice.... I had asked my neighbor what sauce he tends to use.... he said he makes his own because the off the shelf ones are too sweet - thats what got me searching. This one can be made to suit. I'm gonna try a little coriander in the next batch too.

On a side note -- pulled out the dish of leftover sauce from the fridge... surprised to see that it gelled up... wasn't expecting that. Making a note to go lighter on the corn starch next time. Definitely need to let it warm up or heat it before using. I only made a half batch last night to try it out... my plan was to store it in a agave squeeze bottle for ease of use -- it has that little rubber sphincter in it to limit how much comes out -- but after seeing the gelling, I may have to adjust some.

I put ~1/4 cup of the sauce in a bowl - added some apple cider vinegar, couple of drops of sesame oil and some Squirt (no oj in the fridge) and mixed it up to marinade some pork chops for tonight.... initial finger licking says its going to be good.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment:
29512322_2232268793711530_8302995815619578481_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Attachment:

Wrong thread Rick. :gibbs:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
AR15L wrote:
Attachment:

Oh, sorry. They aren't cooked.
:ROFLMAO:

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
usrifle wrote:
AR15L wrote:
Attachment:

Oh, sorry. They aren't cooked.
:ROFLMAO:

...and YOU would have needed to cook them. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Oysters Rockerfeller is pretty damn good, though. Then again, I think I could put butter, garlic, parsley and cheese on a rock and it'd still be good.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thick sliced bacon, and crepes with lemon yogurt, fresh sliced strawberries, freshly made blueberry compote and powdered sugar and lemon zest on top.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just threw 3 nice New York Steaks in the Cooker, they will be finished with a reverse sear. Wife is getting Mashed Tater's and Salad together, it's gonna be a great Meal after the Trap shoot today. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:56 pm

We had a couple of Christmas present left over for people we didn't get to see over the holidays, and after the holiday season the supermarkets eventually hit a point where they want their freezer space back and sell off whole turkeys for a very reduced price - 26 cents a pound for the 15 pounder I bought.

So we did what any normal set of people would do. We had Christmas again yesterday. And I forgot to take photos.

I highly recommend cooking stuffing by putting it in your waffle iron. It makes a crispy top layer that lets your gravy sit in it without just soaking through.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

corndogs

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 277  Next