Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 

I was out and about yesterday and scored red peppers 2/$1 --- sweet - grabbed an onion, knew I had a green pepper in the fridge that needed to be used.... Rummaging thru the freezer trying to decide what meat to grill with them.... decided on a kielbasa since I knew it would thaw quickly. Wanted to try out the new Sweet Baby Rays teriyaki sauce on the veggies, decided to slather the kielbasa too just for the hell of it.... god damn that was good with some rice!!! I usually cook this up in the skillet, but it was SOOOO much better on the grill. Pleased I only lost one onion ring to the grill gods.... thinking I need to pick up one of those grill 'pans' for veggies now.

BTW --- the SBR teriyaki sauce (marinade/dipping sauce) is a BIG two thumbs up.... SW has a coupon for them right now for $1 each -- gonna stock up on that shit.

Next time I'm gonna spiral cut the kielbasa so the teriyaki sauce can permeate/coat more.... should be awesome.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon May 28, 2018 10:19 am

I'm going to let you all in on a secret now. Well, not a secret, but something I don't tell people a lot. Despite quite a few people praising my pulled pork, ribs, bacon, brisket, fish, and pretty much anything else that comes out of the smoker, I'd never done a brisket in the smoker start to finish before.

How many of you thought "wait a minute, you put brisket in your list"? How many of you went back to check the list, and saw that it was there? That's because in the past I have cheated. I have cooked brisket sous vide, then let it cool and then smoked it up to temperature. On one occasion I screwed it up completely, and on the other it was fantastic. But it wasn't proper Texas brisket.

On Friday I realized that I had no plans on Saturday, and I wanted to relax, so my wife and I went to Costco and we bought a brisket. I trimmed it like the dude from All Things BBQ suggests - trim the fat off the point, separate the point and the flat, remove the hard fat that's left because it won't render anyway, thin the fat on the flat to a quarter inch, apply rub, leave in fridge overnight. I then woke up at 7am on Saturday and decided it was either time to smoke dinner or time to smoke what I'd be eating reheated on Sunday. I put the flat on fat side down so that the drippings of fat onto the hot part of the smoker would yield beef-fat flavoured smoke, and put the point on the rack above it so its rendered fat would drip onto the meat of the point.

When they hit the stall (about 10:30 am) I wrapped them tightly in butcher paper, put them back on the smoker, and then left them. I problem them about 2pm to check temperature and they felt like people said in the videos - like poking butter. THat's the point that my friends said they would be able to make it over for dinner at 7pm. I just turned the smoker down to 160 to maintain temperature there, and when they arrived I poured some Kentucky Mules, put the packages of butcher paper on to my cutting board and served right from there.

Despite me under-rubbing it (I ran out, okay), and the extended time on the heat in the peach paper meant that it stuck to the peach paper, so I lost a little it of the outside, this was some of the best brisket I've ever had. My wife agrees.

So, I'll be doing that again at the end of the month, when I have more people over.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done, Wanderer :thumbsup2:

We all cut corners at different times, and it's always good to do things right from the start, to see what corners are worth cutting, and what aren't ....

You said you & the wife had some 'free' time, sometimes that can make things taste better, too :ROFLMAO:

Bon Appetite!

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chicken cor don bleu

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Chicken cor don bleu

Nice!

You're gonna land yourself an Okie from Muskogee with all these cooking skills, and never move back! :bigsmile:

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sous vide chicken parmesan:

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recip ... n-parmesan

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:15 pm

I made more bacon.

It's even better than the first batch.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you are in the mood for steak why not a 3.7 pound Tomahawk? Sorry no finished picture but I had to dive into it. Surprisingly my wife finished hers and it was just shy of 3 pounds.

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smoked Ribs, Reverse seared Ribeye's and Mashed potatoes with a nice Salad.

We are Stuffed. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lionhrt wrote:
When you are in the mood for steak why not a 3.7 pound Tomahawk? Sorry no finished picture but I had to dive into it. Surprisingly my wife finished hers and it was just shy of 3 pounds.

Nice!

Was that the one from Costco?

They sent an email out this morning, but I was there yesterday, and Costco on the weekend is an exercise in stupidity...

While I have plenty of stupid to offer, I prefer to refrain....

Great looking Tomahawk :wagwoot:

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No they had Tomahawks at Fred Meyers this week. I had to treat us when I saw them.I didn`t make it half way threw it and damn was it tender and juicy

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costco in Covington was easy yesterday about 1:00 PM. I walked right up to a Register with my Steaks and King Crab.
No line. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Costco in Covington was easy yesterday about 1:00 PM. I walked right up to a Register with my Steaks and King Crab.

Well, 'yesterday was Friday, for our reference here; plus, you bitched about the traffic over on the hate thread, so.....

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Well, 'yesterday was Friday, for our reference here; plus, you bitched about the traffic over on the hate thread, so.....

When i posted it was Sunday. Not by much, but it was Sunday. :bigsmile:

Yeah, the Traffic did Suck, but Costco was relatively easy.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol! My Bad.

I was wrong...

You posted today about the traffic...I read it so long ago, I thought it was yesterday...

Traffic & parking is part of going to Costco, however....

That, & people blocking aisles to get a free cracker....

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 277  Next