Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
We keep chickens... so kind of spoiled with fresh eggs.
We've been sharing with some friends and neighbors and a couple of them gave pretty strong reactions.. One said "I can't bear the thought of buying at the store. Please don't stop keeping chickens." Apparently he hadn't ever had fresh eggs before. Huge difference.

Absolutely HUGE difference. Wife often gets them from someone at work, but when she can't, we pay the extra few dollars for organic & local.

The yolks are more orange & bulkier, and the eggs do taste much better.

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
I've always liked sour cream (with chives) in my eggs, but for some reason I haven't had it around for quite some time.... got tired of throwing out a half full tub when it got moldy - just couldn't get thru the whole tub and always worried when I 'pushed the envelope' for using old stuff. It seems like bad sour cream tends to be the start of a good round of food poisoning. Since I usually top the eggs with cheese, I really don't miss it now... and with the stick blender for beating the eggs I end up with the fluffy/creamy consistency the sour cream adds.

Sour cream (without chives) is awesome to add to a boxed cake mix (~1/2 cup) --- really makes the chocolate flavors pop! Reminds me of the cream cheese/sour cream cakes and cupcakes mom made when I was a young'in.

The newer tubes of sour cream are a GAME CHANGER...

They only dispense what you need and keep the rest of the tube airtight/sealed....

Hwwip the eggs nice and fluffy... folding in the sour cream..

:yes: :plusone:

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
I don't know if you guys had caught the blurb on how to make scrambled eggs 'savory'.... I was really impressed! The secret ingredient... soy sauce.
I've been doing a ~1-2 tsp splash for 2-3 eggs and it really does make a difference --- I think its become my new standard, along with blending the hell out of them with the stick blender --- fluffy savory eggs that are really satisfying.

I just got a stick blender the other day, so I was excited to try this recipe since I have an omelette each day on the weekend. The omelette came out thinner than usual. Very disappointed, maybe I used too much soy sauce. I'm going to try again Sunday, and see what happens. I might have used tablespoons, instead of teaspoons.

Thanks Chuck, I have a stick blender that I forgot I had and once you mentioned it I went and got it out.
I forgot how fluffy the eggs can be using it. :bow:

I forgot to try the soy sauce. Next time.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:48 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have never liked "fluffy" eggs... Reminds me too much of a restaurant.
I like to drop the eggs in some butter and cook them without breaking them for a few seconds, then break the yolk and fold them a few times. That's scrambled eggs around here. Most of the time there is some bacon to crumble and mix in the eggs. Gently though... No fluffy over here. :bigsmile:

Er, if there is bacon available, the eggs are being cooked in bacon grease. :drool:

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 am

I found a pic of one of the first couple of German Pancakes I made.... the way they are 'supposed' to be.... in case anyone was interested.

Attachment:
20161127_124437 (Medium).jpg

First two turned out perfect like this --- bubbly with a crackled surface, just the way mom used to make. After that, I was less than 50/50 whether it turned 'kinda' bubbly or just rose into a cake/hard biscuit like puck. Kinda gave up on it..... I'll have to retry it again soon.

Edit --- Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try something new/different....

German Pancakes
4 eggs
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp soft butter

Heat oven to 400
Butter WELL two 9" cake pans
Put eggs in blender - process till light yellow (or beat)
Add other ingredients - process (or beat) til smooth
Pour in pans - bake at 400 for 20 minutes
Reduce heat to 350 and bake 10 minutes longer
Slide onto hot plates

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:50 am

So.... I started down a new path last weekend starting to play with jalapenos...

I took all the advice and blackened the 3.5-4" jalapeno on the stove burner - got it nice and black - then wrapped it in some paper bag paper (I originally thought a plastic bag would work as well for steaming - dropped the hot pepper in the bag and realized why you use paper bags as it fell thru the bag melting plastic all the way :doh1: realized foil would work just as well) -- scraped the skin off --- came off REALLY easy - then sliced it length wise and removed the seeds and the pulp.

I diced up half the pepper and used it in my cornbread mix --- it looked to be waaaay more than I should use, but I tasted some bits and it didn't seem all that hot. I was really surprised that there was NO heat left in the pepper --- only jalapeno flavor --- I was kinda happy, but disappointed since I was looking for 'a little' heat.... wish I would've used the whole pepper. I ended up using the rest in scrambled eggs... very nice flavor! But again, a little heat would have been welcomed. Gave me the courage to continue experimenting, even though I know at some point I'm going to get too much heat and hurt myself...

Gonna try the cornbread again tonight, but this time I am gonna forgo the blackening and just slice the pepper the same way and see if there is heat - and adjust the amount used based on the taste. I'm wondering if I hit a batch of jalapenos that are naturally mild. I did a bit of googling and found info saying that smooth, shiny peppers are 'young' and have less heat --- peppers that have white 'cracks' in the skin are older and tend to be hotter. I haven't verified this yet, but I'm using it a guideline.

Question --- how do you store jalapenos? Counter? Fridge?
I found that Fred Meyer sells their jalapenos for .99/# -- half any place else -- so medium size peppers are ~ $0.10 each --- no reason not to have them around, and if they really are that mild, they can take the place of bell peppers anyday. I picked up 3 just for experimentation...

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting experience, JB...

Heat for jalas can be tricky, but the general idea is, smaller has less heat; if it has 'corking', or white stretch marks, it's considered usually hotter, because they occur when the pepper is under duress, less water, extra sun, so the capsaicin intensifies...

So, larger tends to be hotter, white stretch marks, too., ...

As far as your experience, cooking them twice will increase the jala flavor, but reduce the heat. Fresh, finely diced jalas, with no seeds or membrane, might be what your after, just don't broil first. Cooking once as the cornbread bakes, will be enough, and you should have a fresh taste, and some heat. If you want hotter, leave some seeds and/or membrane.

The technique you used on the burner (or under a broiler), tenders to work well for something like chili, where you take a few jalas, a few pasillas, a few poblanas, etc., and do that, and then create chili, tends to meld the flavors and heat. The reason it works better for that is that you using more chiles, and you are putting them directly on your tongue.

You have the concepts right, though :thumbsup2:

Edited to add some jala storage info:

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-kee ... ers-fresh/

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:43 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The house smells nice.
A big pot of split pea soup and ham has been lightly bubbling away on the woodstove since about 9am.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been three days of solid Asian food. Good stuff

Right now though a big ass ham sammich!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cookies.
Thread & recipe here:
https://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=97196

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Pablo wrote:
Been three days of solid Asian food.

Funnily enough, I have done an Asian-influenced thing today. I followed the Food Wishes bulgogi marinade and put that on beef short rib - not the thin-slice cut that Koreans use for kalbi, but the chunky stuff with the ribs still attached that you see at the supermarket. I let that marinade overnight and I smoked them today, as usual.

That's not a mistake.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:07 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Split pea soup with ham... Trying to finish off the last of the Christmas ham. Delish.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Split pea soup with ham... Trying to finish off the last of the Christmas ham. Delish.

:ROFLMAO: :thumbsup2:

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Yeah, my mother in law did a ham for Christmas too. And with the leftovers she made a casserole with scalloped potatoes, and fed 40 homeless people with it.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:50 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

cmica wrote:
PMB wrote:

:ROFLMAO: :thumbsup2:
Spoiler: show

Chris are you going to be able to down all that nice meat before it spoils? I had lots of help here with the boys and the Balrog. Not sure that I could have finished ours without that help.
If you're struggling under the weight of all that meat, you know that we're here for you brother.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 277  Next