Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:18 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WanderingWalrus wrote:
BANH MI.

I have a theory that anywhere where the food is "local, with French influence" it's good food. Vietnam is an example. I may have had pho for lunch. I had banh mi for dinner.

Yesterday I cooked some pork belly sous-vide for 9-10 hours (I forget exactly) until it was very, very tender. I sliced this up today and put it in a skillet to heat through and brown a little on the cut sides. In the meantime I crushed some peanuts, make pickled carrot and daikon matchsticks, and got the pickled cucumber and onions out of the fridge. I put some French style bread in the oven, and when that was warm I sliced it open, put on a thin layer of pate, some pickled onions and cucumber, slices of pork belly, pickled daikon and carrot, and some crushed peanuts.

Frankly, I fucked up. My wife got home a little late and the bread was too crusty as a result - it needed to be softer. It also needed the big handful of cilantro, or parsley (if, like me, you have the gene for cilantro tasting like soapy ass). I didn't fuck it up enough that I'm not having another banh mi for lunch tomorrow...

Crappy picture, sorry. All of the pictures came out bad tonight.

WOW. Excellent. I too hate cilantro. But yes with paté killer sammy!!!!!!!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

WanderingWalrus wrote:
Crappy picture, sorry.

Not crappy enough.

I haven't had dinner yet and I'm pretty hungry . . . and as soon as that pic came up my mouth started aching because the saliva was flowing.

Dammit. Gotta go nuke some leftovers now.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Chuck roast was 2 for 1 at QFC, so I got 2. It's a similar taste and toughness to brisket, but in smaller sections, so you don't eat the leftovers for a week if there's only 2 of you. (My wife claims this is a problem. I, on the other hand, get to eat brisket for a week...)

Rubbed, and smoked with cherry, pecan and maple blend until it stalled, then wrapped tightly and temperature increased to 300 until it probed like warm butter, and then turn the smoker down to 150 and let it rest there until my wife and friend got home from enjoying a campfire in the woods. In the time I also made brown butter cornbread with blackened poblano pepper, onion and corn kernels, and some honey butter, and when they arrived I heated up some of the Trader Joe's "soycatash" (a succotash with soy beans in, too). Also got the home made pickles for the Banh Mi out of the fridge.

I'm proud of that smoke ring, and that the whole thing was tender. The blue jar has pickled onions and cucumber. The white ramekin has (caramelized) honey butter. The green bowl has the soycatash, and you can see the cornbread in the cast iron pan. Dutch tilt[/img] because we talked about Cesar Romero over dinner, and how he refused to shave his mustache for the original live-action Batman series, [url=https://metvcdn.metv.com/jPK4Y-1455563777-187-lists-romero_main_1200.jpg]so they just put the Joker makeup over it.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carne adovada
https://iamnm.com/new-mexico-style-carne-adovada-recipe/

Prepped the red chile marinade this morning. All done and cooling on the stovetop so I can add to the marinade bags later.
Cubed an 8lb pork butt roast earlier then that went into zip-loc bags to wait for the marinade to cool down.

It all marinades overnight then cooks in the oven for 3 hours or so tomorrow morning.
Looking forward to it.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Carne adovada
https://iamnm.com/new-mexico-style-carne-adovada-recipe/

Prepped the red chile marinade this morning. All done and cooling on the stovetop so I can add to the marinade bags later.
Cubed an 8lb pork butt roast earlier then that went into zip-loc bags to wait for the marinade to cool down.

It all marinades overnight then cooks in the oven for 3 hours or so tomorrow morning.
Looking forward to it.

Oh man..........so gooooood............ :thumbsup2: :bigsmile: :bow:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brisket is about to go into the Pit. Separated the Tip from the Flat for Burnt ends, (Yum) Rubbed with a mix of a Bourbon, Hickory and Alder Rub yesterday afternoon.
Smoker is fired with Hickory, dinner at 6:00. :wagwoot:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Brisket is about to go into the Pit. Separated the Tip from the Flat for Burnt ends, (Yum) Rubbed with a mix of a Bourbon, Hickory and Alder Rub yesterday afternoon.

How was dinner? :bigsmile:

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 pm

I've never done burnt ends - I enjoy slices of the point too much. I separate them to reduce cooking time by a few hours, and be able to pull them off the smoker and let them rest at different times.

For my next brisket I'm going to lengthen cooking time by misting it to try to build up more crust. I can have it ready on time, and the right texture consistently, now

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
usrifle wrote:

How was dinner? :bigsmile:

Dinner was :thumbsup2: Burnt ends are just amazing, they melt in your mouth. Eat them with some sweet Pickles, red onion and Jalepeno's or Green chili's, love the sweet, smoky and Hot together.

You guys should try some, they are the best part of the Brisket IMHO. :wagwoot:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:19 am

French Onion Soup.

I had some beef stock in the freezer for a while. I'm not sure where it came from, but the weather got cold and wet, and yesterday I was concerned that one of my freezers had broken so I had to choose what defrosted and what didn't, so I let the beef stock defrost to make soup with. I chopped up some onions, added a touch of sugar and baking soda to bias the Mailliard reaction to happen despite the presence of water, and put those onions in a pot with some melted butter and beef fat (which was probably saved from the same time I got the stock - skimmed from the top). Cook the onions down until they're somewhere between gold and brown, then add the stock and a splash of champagne vinegar. Season to taste. 2 slices of grilled bread with melted gouda on go in to this - one's halfway down.

I also made duck soup with th duck carcass that was in the freezer for doing this with. It was still too frozen to roast first, though, so it's a relatively light duck soup. I didn't take photos during the process, because the process is "boil a duck carcass with a carrot, an onion and a green bell pepper all chopped in half, and a big handful of parsley". It was simmered for 4 hours, and then put in jars.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:09 pm

BBQ'd up some drumsticks last night...... damn these things are so good! My neighbor and I have been having a contest to see who can make the better bbq chicken --- I think I have him on taste, but he's got me on amount/ease of cooking -- he can throw 15 thighs on the grill and walk away for 20-30 minutes and not even think about it and they turn out great.... I sit there and tend mine the whole time since I'm too worried about burning them to a lump of coal. My neighbor was out of town, so I invited his son down to compare the 'newest' version..... he said it was by far the best bbq chicken he has had :thumbsup2:

I had googled alot about rubs.... not wanting to pick up all the spices to make my own (yet), I opted to pick up the 'Memphis Style Rub' from the dollar store just to get a feeling for it... my research showed that most rubs are based off the 5-6 main ingredients, so $1 for ready made vs $2-5 per spice seemed wise. This rub didn't have any sugar in it -- didn't really think it would be a problem since I'd be putting bbq sauce on there for sugar.... I assumed that the sugar was added for meats that wouldn't get a sauce. It worked/tasted good, but I was noticing that when I reheated the leftovers, they tended to taste kinda 'salty', especially deep down in the meat. I decided that I'd try adding sugar in with the rub while dry brining - couple of spoonfuls of brown sugar to start..... DAMN -- what a difference!!!! The sugar really cuts the saltyness all the way down into the meat - juicy as hell too/still --- even with a 24 hour dry brine. I had been limiting the brine to 6-8 hours to avoid the saltyness, so this was/is a huge improvement. Been using Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce --- sweet and spicy mainly, finally got some of the Hawaiian Style to try out.... good stuff!!!! The pineapple flavor goes really good with the bbq. Got a bottle of the Sweet Vidalia Onion that I'm itching to try out too....

Thawing out a pork loin to try the sugar rub with for teriyaki pork.... I had brined it with the rub before, but it too turned out being overly salty. Thinking the sugar will work just as well with teriyaki as it did with the bbq sauce.

Still learning how to take the 'simple' things to the next level.....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Threw an 8 lb pork shoulder on the traeger this morning. Dry rubbed overnight with kosher salt, cracked pepper, granulated garlic and brown sugar. After a 6 hour cook and 90 min rest, it was super tender. Had pulled pork sandwiches, cole slaw and corn bread for dinner.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:49 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Dread Princess and The Balrog brought a slice of fresh apple pie down to the man cave... I am already stuffed from a big supper.

I believe they are trying to fatten me up for some nefarious purpose.

The apple pie is delicious... Crumble top, my fav. Normally I'd add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but no way can I fit more calories down the hatch.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I smoked uncured Kielbasa and did some bacon wrapped Hotdogs for the Mrs. She likes well done Tube Steak and Crispy Bacon, too bad she had to watch the Brady's win.

The absolute ball licking of Tom Brady by Chris Collingsworth was disgusting, has NBC no shame?

I think he could take a stadium sized bacon wrapped Hotdog and still call the game bun deep, especially if it was the Brady's and he was hungry.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:14 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

usrifle wrote:
The absolute ball licking of Tom Brady by Chris Collingsworth was disgusting, has NBC no shame?

I lol'd.

The Dread Princess and Balrog made this from fresh picked apples yesterday. Now it is safely ensconced in the man cave refrigerator.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 277  Next