Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 

Looks more like cheese soup.....

That being said ---- you got me to craving some 'proper' Wisconsin beer cheese soup..... I haven't had any in forever.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

WanderingWalrus wrote:
I think my proportions are off.

:ROFLMAO:

It still looks damned good, though! I'd attack that with a soup spoon!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheese soup!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:23 pm

I didn't say that I didn't eat it. It was tasty. I just probably need to eat less dinner.

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I wanted.

The (tasty) mess I ended up with.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

would still eat

Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
would still eat

Trust me we did eat, and leftovers for tomorrow.

Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love fork spit holder!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steak au Poivre Baked Penne

Attachment:
20220416_080643.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:15 pm

So.... my neighbors daughter was back in town this week -- I called him up last night and offered to smoke some chicken for them - unfortunately, she had a flight out this morning... but my neighbor was all for a whole smoked bird. Looked at the forecast for today - saying rain coming in this afternoon.... damn..... could have done it..... BUT --- I was going thru my fridge and I found a half bottle of Lawry's sesame ginger marinade (thats been in there WAY too long)..... Looked at the pineapple I just picked up sitting on the counter.... Yeah ---- it was meant to be!!!! Neighbor stopped bye with the two chickens at ~9:30 this morning after dropping his daughter off at the airport. Got the pineapple cut down.... I took the core and threw it in the blender (god - I haven't used my blender FOREVER) and pureed the hell out of it - added a couple of more chunks for good measure - poured in the sesame ginger marinade - added some OJ and ~1.5 T of fresh grated ginger just for the hell of it..... Damn tasty marinade! Chickens in separate bags - ~1 3/4 cups of marinade in each - into the fridge until ~9:00 tomorrow night with occasional mixings - drain and rub and dry in the fridge for smoking on Friday. Its the closest I've gotten to wet brining yet. I was debating about saving ~1/2 cup of the marinade for basting/finishing.... but realized what a pain it would be to brush two chickens at the end...

Should be really close to a nice/real huli huli chicken! The best part ---- I had the pile of pineapple rinds sitting on the counter.... kinda pissed at how much flesh/meat had to be taken off to get the eyes out.... smelled great.... LITE BULB!!!! I put the rinds in a bag and put it in the fridge..... I'm gonna cut up the rinds and put them inside the chicken while its smoking!!!! I feel like I'm 'channeling' my mom --- use everything and don't waste good flavor!

More to come Friday night!

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds good JMB!

I just grilled up a Flank Steak on the Weber, some Flank Steak wraps coming up shortly. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
What I wanted.

The (tasty) mess I ended up with.

chuck made it too. used mozzarella cheese, it was good but lacking something. maybe I should have used some orange zest in the mix

Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:58 pm

I pulled the chickens out of the bags this morning ~7am - 44 hours of marinade/wet brine - if that doesn't get flavor into the meat - I don't think anything will.... Drained the marinade off and put some rub on them - stuffed them with the pineapple rinds - on a rack and drying in the fridge. If these taste even 1/10 as good as they smell ---- they are going to be fantastic!!! I was debating whether to put rub on or not --- was worried about too much saltiness - I'll find out if I made the right call later.... Still trying to decide whether I should glaze them..... probably will since I have some SBR Hawaiian bbq sauce that should go great with the pineapple/sesame ginger marinade....

Planning on some plum and pecan chunks for smoking...

Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:15 am

Well..... cooking that chicken last night ended in a pretty big disappointment.

Everything went well as far as I could see.... smoker ran well - took a bit longer than I thought.... but I was not expecting what happened at the end..... Cooked it as usual - planned on popping it in the oven to crisp up the skin - pulled the chickens off the smoker and they were literally falling apart - after broiling for ~10 minutes, I pulled the pan out of the oven and noticed that the skin had disintegrated!!! Let it cool - went to pull a leg and the whole bird just fell apart --- lifted up the breasts and the backbone just fell apart - it didn't even move off the bottom of the pan..... Meat was 'flavorful', but incredibly mushy.... Boy --- did I fuck up.

Thinking about it last night --- the only thing I could come up with is all the acid in the pineapple juice and OJ 'ceviched' the meat during the 40 hour marinade...... Googling around this morning and sure as shit, I find "The acids and enzymes in the marinade break down tough fibers and tenderize the meat, which makes it soft and melty after it's cooked. But if you keep it in the marinade for too long, it over-tenderizes the meat so that it has no texture and falls apart when cooking." Fuuuuuck..... what a rookie mistake.....

So.... I learned something out of this experience..... Just stick with rubs when smoking --- and if you feel like you HAVE to marinade, no more than 24 hours.

I owe my neighbor a new chicken.

The meat is still edible - and as it cooled, it seemed to firm up. I'm thinking I'm gonna make a batch of chicken enchiladas and some chicken salad with whats left of mine.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:50 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh yeah . . . pineapple will do that, it will disintegrate meat. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 277  Next