Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 275  Next
 what did you cook today thread 

stompah wrote:
Here we go. Been on my mind for the last few weeks. JMB's post pushed me to do it.

I wish Buzzy's Roast Beef in Boston was still around. Puts my sandwich to shame.

Hand cut thick fries. Five Guys but on steroids. Thicker, double fried, crispy ends.

The beer battered onion rings cut and dipped in front of you as they make your order.

Unfortunately, their little shack was in the way of Massachusetts General Hospital's expansion. Pure tragedy.

Nice! I'm jealous of the nice red color of the roast beef :wink05: Thats what kept me from buying more the first time when I ran into the deal on RB ---- it wasn't red so you have no idea what it will taste like.

I just finished off pak #1 of 8 last night and I have to say it was the best sammy yet - got the bun toasted nearly perfectly with mayo/garlic and added some fresh ground pepper to the ketchup/franks/whoosty -- that added just the zing that it was missing. I got five good sammys out of that one pak and thats with kitty getting at least three slices too. I've been finding that 4 slices of meat are 'good' for most sammys, but going to 5 or 6 puts it into the 'killer' range. I'd love to make more 'Dagwood' sammys, but that just gets too glutinous and gratuitous for me --- I like a good/reasonable balance in my meals.

I don't know why, but I've been leaning to less cheese on my sammys..... I'll take a slice and cut it on the 45s and just use two of them for a sammy.... I'm finding that too much cheese just over powers the flavor of the (good/smoked) meats --- I don't even care for cheese on cold sammys now - just mayo/lettuce/tomato and I'm happy - especially with my smoked chicken - I find that the cheese actually 'degrades' the sammy - its just not needed. It all comes down to the balance again....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ribeye , greens and greens

Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't go wrong with a good ribeye! Only problem is my favorite greens is missing asparagus!

Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:43 am

So..... after my first attempt/adventure making pasta sauce from canned tomatoes went so well, I decided to give it a second shot. Coveting the five San Marzano cans I had picked up and not wanting to waste them foolishly, I picked up two of the last cans of just 'diced' tomatoes for $0.50 a can -- I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong, and I had ideas of just a simple tomato sauce to mix into spanish/mexican rice, beans and whatever else. I also wanted to see if there was really that big of a difference between the SM and plain diced.... you never know until you try them both, and for some reason I have never had a need to.

Attachment:
20230303_105319.jpg

Upon opening the can, it was obvious there was a HUGE difference..... The diced looked so much paler and waterier than the SMs and lacked the smell that just overwhelmed you --- at first, I was expecting to be sadly disappointed with the diced. I grudgingly forged ahead and hit the diced with my stick blender.... thats when I noticed so many more seeds than the SMs.... don't know if that is a big deal. I started throwing spices in there --- garlic, italian seasoning, salt&pepper, basil, cumin, whoosty and some browned onions..... It was still just so 'flat'. I found some enchilada sauce in the fridge, so I dumped some of that in.... that brought it around quite a bit. Not wanting to waste good meat or sausage in a sauce that may not turn out good, I decided to brown up some 'lil smokies' (that I had picked up for $0.78 for 14oz) and chop them up and put them in. Let it simmer for for an hour or two..... not bad at all!!!!

For some reason I was craving black beans..... so I was cooking them up along side the pasta sauce. When all was done, I ended up scooping beans into the bowl and mixing some of the pasta sauce in with it (didn't want to commit to mixing it all) and ate that with toast points..... It was REALLY good! the next morning I mixed up beans with pasta sauce again and had it with fried eggs and toast --- OUTSTANDING :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: Last night I made some proper pasta and again it was really GOOD.

So ---- what I learned is that the San Marzanos really are A LOT better --- they are basically ready to go out of the can if you are lazy (easy GOOD tomato soup!!!), and are easy to season into a NICE sauce. The plain diced are just totally underwhelming at first - after blending, they basically tasted like a thin watery cheap ketchup - but with enough seasoning, a really good sauce can be made without too much effort. I'm thinking going for a whole/peeled would have been a better choice over the diced if its available.

That said, I've been wanting to have some tomato paste around to throw in things, but I just didn't want to have an open can hanging out in the fridge for however long..... all the recipes I see call for a tablespoon or two - so opening a can and letting it go moldy in the fridge just seems silly.
Well.... I ran into this tomato sauce in a resealable pouch yesterday at GO for $1!!!! It will be easy now to make some spanish/mexican rice!!!

Attachment:
20230303_105339.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A point of contention. Those aren't San Marzano tomatoes.. They're San Marzano style tomatoes.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:15 pm

Yeah - yeah..... I got the same shit from my neighbor (who is a foodie snob).... The problem is is that there is no real 'volcanic soil' where most of the tomatoes are grown here in the US :wink05: Here I would've thought you would have roasted me for using 'lil smokies' in a pasta sauce..... :popcorn:

The point was that the the peeled San Marzano "style" was soooooo much better than the run of the mill 'diced' tomatoes. Doesn't hurt that they are pre seasoned with olive oil, garlic and basil either --- a good head start on seasoning. Definitely worth stepping up to if the price isn't too prohibitive --- no way I would pay more than $2 a can for it. I'm feeling really fortunate for finding them for 50 cents and happy that I bought half dozen..... wishing I would have got more now.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Here I would've thought you would have roasted me for using 'lil smokies' in a pasta sauce..... :popcorn:

They actually add a lot of flavor and reduces the amount of added salt needed since there's already a bunch of sodium in there.

Yes, the San Marzano style are much better than the regular canned maters..

I nitpick the same with shit like 'Kobe style beef'..

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lamb chops

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried out the new air fryer. Cooked some bacon. Came out perfect

Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool.

Which one did you get?

Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smoked brisket sandwich with Aardvark sauce and pickled jalapeños
Homemade coleslaw
Cowboy beans

Stupid good!

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pork Loin chops, Salad and canned Corn. The Loin chops were pre-seasoned from Safeway and 30% off since it was the last day to sell them.

They were delicious. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How’d you fix the chops?

Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few nights ago, Mrs. Caveman knocked it out of the park again with her classic meatloaf, made with elk burger a companied with scallop potatoes, green beans and cornbread. Good Lawdy it was good.
Attachment:
D5BC9BAC-2258-4888-9536-20CE7B65AE3D.jpeg

Lunch yesterday was a meatloaf sammich on 9 grain bread!!! Dayummm it was sooooo good!
Sorry no pics, it went in a flash!!!

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beef roast with cornbread and prying eyes. Ayla (A-la) was there just in case I dropped some on the floor… :bigsmile:

Attachment:
73342630-E6C9-44E7-9EC1-2F20845DF995.jpeg

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 275  Next