Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eggs. In the microwave. Surprisingly good, and no mess. Is that cooking? lol

I need to go grab some chicken from the store, along with some Romaine, spinach, onion, tomato, green/red pepper, and feta (for chicken caesar salad and later a salad with oil/vinegar)

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WW, your plating and photo skills are awesome. What camera are you using? My new 80D actually has a "food" setting.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm

My neighbor had mentioned 'spiral cutting' hot dogs for grilling.... so I gave it a try....
Attachment:
20180403_201856 (Medium).jpg

Damn.... makes the cheap old BarS dogs something wonderful!!!
He said that it makes the regular dogs 'bun length', but I already started with the bun length ones and it did make them longer. Gotta pick up some regular ones since they are bigger diameter to start with -- should make for an excellent dog. Its cool how the cuts allow the ketchup (yeah, I'm one of those) and mustard to collect in between instead of squeezing out.... just awesome.
Can't wait to try this out with chili and kraut....

Pro tip - brush the dogs with a little oil so that they brown up nice and evenly - otherwise they tend to burn more -- its needed with the BarS since there is no fat or grease in them (which is why I tend to like them for boiling) but some of the greasier/fattier brands may not need it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw a spiral hot dog cutter on sale at WINCO, and thought WTF? But after reading your comments it makes sense now.
For dinner tonight I got some tail:
Spoiler: show

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:04 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
What camera are you using?

The camera on my phone - a Samsung Galaxy S6. There's 2 big secrets to phone camera photos. Lots of light, and clean the damn lens! It's amazing how much pocket grease builds up on the lens when you're not looking.

Nice tails - those look awesome.

With regards to spiral hot-dogs - you can also run a skewer through them and spiral cut them yourself before cooking. More surface area means more tasty browning, and more ridges to catch condiments. It also works for smoking a summer sausage, before cutting in to pieces to serve warm as a snack.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting:

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 am

Yeah - I can manage the cutting with my filet knife on the cutting board sans skewer.... its not that hard. Don't need to buy a gadget -- let alone a 'child safe' one. I'll start using a skewer AFTER the first time I cut thru a dog.... Although, I can see its usefulness if you are going to cook the whole pak at once -- it does take a little effort and attention to cut just two.

BTW --- it really does make a HUGE difference... tastiest dogs I've had in a long time. And thats from a BarS. I used to get the oscar meyer and ballparks because the flavor was better, but I found that they eff'd with my intestines afterwards... just like the costco food court dogs --- hating yourself for doing it afterwards even tho it tasted good. I discovered that I didn't have this problem with the BarS... I assume it has something to do with the grease and fat the others contain (my system tends to be impacted by certain fats/greases/oils as I've learned) based on the amount of fat that would be left in the pan after boiling - don't see that with the BarS. Bonus that you can pick up the BarS at qfc for $1 a pak (#, not 12oz) most of the time on sale, so its my lazy/drunken/not really that hungry/microwave if you have to goto when I have buns in the house.

Trying to figure out what would be good to baste the dogs with while/after grilling.... next time will definitely try basting with beer to keep them juicy... debating whether bbq sauce would be overkill with k/m....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 am

So... those spiral dogs turned out so well.... I decided to up the game to chili dogs with a can of Wolfs chili....
Attachment:
20180412_205156 (Medium).jpg

Yeah.... damn I haven't had a chili dog that good in a loooong time. Those spiral cuts work great at holding the chili - even with a good dose of chili --- not one drip of chili off the bun while eating, although some cheese and onions dropped off. Looking forward to the next three sessions....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone called the waste treatment plant to give them a heads up?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:50 am

Pablo wrote:
Has anyone called the waste treatment plant to give them a heads up?

Wouldn't do any good... I'm on septic.

Seriously... have you ever had Wolfs chili? I gave up on canned chili long ago because it is just nasty.... But I kept hearing from multiple real texans that Wolfs is the ONLY chili to ever buy in a can - that kinda caught my interest. Its hard to find around here -- when you have the hankering for chili but lack the will to make a big pot, it fits the bill really nicely. And again, it seems to be pretty kind to the digestive tract too. If you find a real texan - ask them about Fritos/chili pie... you'll be surprised.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chicken fajitas

Onions. Green and yellow peppers.. Some sour cream and guacamole.

Tastes like shit because the Gunny died.. :/

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Turkey, stuffing, mashed tatos, gravy, mixed veggies, rolls, and fruit salad.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chicken wings in rice ala Jacques Pepin. Cumin/smoked paprika/chili oil. Tasted like da bomb.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cheesy cauliflower soup

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eggs Benedict. Twice. Plus once yesterday.

Yes, I'm on a kick . . . wanted to learn how to do it. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 277  Next