Switch to full style
Let's talk about anything food- or drink-related, whether it be home cooking, bars or restaurants!
Post a reply

Re: what did you cook today thread

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:10 pm

That looks good, TW!

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:30 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:
20211126_124544.jpg

10oz Low sodium canned chicken
Couple ounces short cut thin spaghetti
16 Oz give or take low sodium chicken broth
1 packet herb ox sodium free chicken broth seasoning
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of Italian seasoning
Fresh ground black pepper

Popped it in microwave for 8 mins...

Noodles are tender, and so is the chicken.

Probably the best damn chicken noodle soup I've had in a long time.

Would eat! :thumbsup2:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:19 pm

We had our version of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 pm

NWGunner wrote:Nice!

That, and spatchcock are some of the best ways to go :thumbsup2:

Did you follow a recipe, or just wing it? :bigsmile:

(Double-groan for MadPick, since I used that on him :wink05: )

I followed a combination of videos. If I could do it again, I would have taken the white meat out about 45 min sooner. I also found that any juices that leaked out would sink to the bottom. So I would monitor that more closely and removed the extra juices so the turkey is just cooking in the duck fat vs leaked juices. A number of recipes call for you to make it a day or two in advance, let the turkey sit in the fat overnight or so, then warm it back up in the fat before putting it in the oven on a rack at 500 for 15 min. It was super tasty, and not dry at all.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:08 pm

Cool, thanks! :thumbsup2:

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:18 am

I made a bit of turkey:

Some rolls:

A little gravy:

Some other things were made, too - a pea salad, some stuffing, green bean casserole. No photos, since I didn't make them.

My failed dairy-free egg-nog because egg-nog frozen custard:
... eventually. It took 2 days to freeze and was still soft, because it's 20% ABV.

Wife made a pumpkin pie, with the pumpkins that the kid grew at my in-laws this year:

Thanksgiving didn't suck :)

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:20 am

WanderingWalrus wrote:... eventually. It took 2 days to freeze and was still soft, because it's 20% ABV.

:ROFLMAO:

I like this style of cooking.

Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:10 pm

lamb gyro with Tzatziki Sauce and flat bread

first time tzat. suace came out better than I thought. hell guess its just a "burrito". dont understand the half stuffed bread style

Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:19 pm

Looks great, Chris. DId you make the lamb meat too? How did you do that?

Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:25 pm

cmica wrote:lamb gyro with Tzatziki Sauce and flat bread

first time tzat. suace came out better than I thought. hell guess its just a "burrito". dont understand the half stuffed bread style

Love a good Gyro, those look damn good!

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:53 pm

Lamb shashlik, fried veggies and mashed potatoes with chives and garlic accompanied by the beer.
:cheers2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:05 pm

surevaliance wrote:Lamb shashlik, fried veggies and mashed potatoes with chives and garlic accompanied by the beer.
:cheers2:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I plan to make that tomorrow

MadPick wrote:Looks great, Chris. DId you make the lamb meat too? How did you do that?

I dont make lamb..... baaah baaah cut steaks thinly and high on the cast iron with olive oil for a min or 2 and flip

Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:40 am

10 days later..... I have FINALLY finished off the smoked turkey in the fridge. It was kinda a bittersweet moment last night when I made the last sammy with swiss and ranch dressing --- glad to finally finish it so I can move on to something else, but also bummed that its gone -- so easy and so tasty.... I still have a breast and the pulled legs in the freezer to console me tho. I have to say, I have forgone full turkeys thinking I could NEVER get thru one myself - this round has proven that I can handle a 12.5#er with ease and that smoking it makes it really easy.

Tonight its finally going to be a nice burger that I've been craving for the last week! My neighbors gave me a Hello Fresh burger meal that they sent them mistakenly :thumbsup2: I'm not quite sure why, but I graciously accepted it :bigsmile: Caramelized onions with yukon potato wedges --- I'll see if its any good.

I figure a few burger meals followed by some pulled pork before I make up a turkey casserole from the legs.....

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:36 pm

I've been on a ramen kick, so I made this, just before Thanksgiving.

Homemade pai-tan broth, mayu aroma oil, homemade noodles (aided by the kid), and marinated egg, along with corn and the seaweed. I think I posted this already, but I wasn't sure.

Thanksgiving leftovers:

Waffled stuffing, waffled thanksgiving sausage, a slice of turkey, and some leftover gravy that I melted cheese in to (that was a touch too thick). That's an efficient way of getting calories into you.

What's the thanksgiving sausage? I'm glad you asked. Ground pork from the pig I bought in on, the same herbs that went on to the turkey, and some offcuts of turkey thigh and bacon. Why did I have that? Because I made a terrine...

Bacon wrapping, sausage stuffing, dried cherries, and a (nearly entire) turkey thigh layer.

I've made some General Tso's chicken...

Since I found turkeys at 99 cents a pound at Fred Meyer, and 99 cents a pound then sub $10 at Costco in Woodinville, I got a spare turkey and cooked it sous-vide. With one breast and a bunch of veg, I made turkey and dumplings last night.

Tonight I made ... bibimbap:
You can see the rice peeking out from under the flank steak, at the bottom, near the egg.

And while that was all being made, I also made a loaf of banana oatmeal bread with brown butter.

So, that's what I've been cooking recently.

Also I've got the neighbours coming over tonight to cure pork belly to make bacon - that's their Christmas present.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:22 pm

damn WW you been busy

lamb, mash and german cucumber salad

Post a reply