Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Sous-vide cooking 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Since it's only me I'm going to do a SV prime rib for Xmas. A small 2 pounder. About 5 hours at 131 degrees.
https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/inf ... -prime-rib

Your recipe didn't load right for me, for some reason.

Here's a popular one, too:

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recip ... -prime-rib

Any suggestions for a vegetable side to go with roast beast?

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Since it's only me I'm going to do a SV prime rib for Xmas. A small 2 pounder. About 5 hours at 131 degrees.
https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/inf ... -prime-rib

Your recipe didn't load right for me, for some reason.

Here's a popular one, too:

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recip ... -prime-rib

Not sure what you have available there, but one option is Brussel Sprouts.

I used to hate them, but found a few ways to cook them right, and they're great.

Get a sheet pan, cover it with foil, and put it in a 425-450 oven to preheat...then it's knd of like a plancha.

Then, you can go simple, just cut the root end off, then slice in 1/2 vertically....don't worry about the leaves that come off...get rid of the bad ones, but keep some, as they char nicely.

Do this with 12-24 of them, put in a bowl & toss with Avocado oil, or whatever oil with a high burn point you have, and salt & pepper....toss with tongs, open oven, dump on sheet tray, and use tongs to arrange cut side down.

Set timer for 20 minutes...

Then, this is where you become a cook :bigsmile: if you open after 20, and they're kind of steaming & have no color, then they're fresher & need more time, stir, come back every 8-10 mins, until desired charring has occurred. If they've started to char, stir & pay attention, and maybe reduce oven by 25 degrees or so...

This is the simple version...if you want something more complex, or with acidity to cut through the beef, look online for a recipe for roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic & Parmesan Cheese, or Balsamic & cranberries, etc., ...

You can do the same with fresh green beans, just obviously don't cook as long...

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's exactly what I was thinking about, just didn't want to post any preconceived notions. Thank you.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:09 pm

NWGunner wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

Not sure what you have available there, but one option is Brussel Sprouts.

I used to hate them, but found a few ways to cook them right, and they're great.

Get a sheet pan, cover it with foil, and put it in a 425-450 oven to preheat...then it's knd of like a plancha.

Then, you can go simple, just cut the root end off, then slice in 1/2 vertically....don't worry about the leaves that come off...get rid of the bad ones, but keep some, as they char nicely.

This is the simple version...if you want something more complex, or with acidity to cut through the beef, look online for a recipe for roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic & Parmesan Cheese, or Balsamic & cranberries, etc., ...

My version's pretty similar, but finishes faster. The time involved is all active time, rather than passive, though. (ie, keep your eye on it, rather than waiting on the timer). Basically, I fry them in a pan, letting them sit until they caramelize on one side before stirring/flipping them.

Air has pretty poor heat capacity/conductivity, and so it's a relatively gentle method of applying heat energy to things as a result. So, by using contact heat (ie frying) I can get away with an oil with a lower smoke point that I can enjoy the taste of, rather than a neutral tasting oil. So, step 1, chop up some bacon into bite sized pieces and put them in a pan over low heat (I use simmer-high for this) and crisp them up. There's going to be a lot of bacon fat rendered out - that's perfect. When the pieces are crispy, put them on paper towel to cool. Up to now you're looking at 10-15 minutes, roughly. Now we can get the heat up to low or medium - when you see the first wisps of smoke, dump the sprouts in and jiggle the pan to get them to spread out, then wait 30 seconds and mix them around again - do the pan flip thing if you can. Now we've cooled the oil down below its smoke point by adding cold things, so it won't burn, we've coated the things with the still-hot oil, so it'll all get some cooking, and we've spread them out in the pan. Now leave them for 5 minutes before you take a peek. You're aiming for some caramelization. This is the essence of both recipes - charred brussels sprouts are what taste good. Once you've got one side done, mix and flip them to get another side done. Then I add the chestnuts and a splash of vinegar and put a lid on, so that the chestnuts steam in the water that comes off the vinegar. When that's done, the chopped bacon goes back in to warm up. Check for seasoning. Chances are that with the bacon you'll need very little salt, but you might want some pepper. Serve immediately.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great post, WW...sounds fantastic!

I get your points, and they're great.

My two cents....

I prefer the neutral oil, so we can taste the Brussel Sprouts more.

Bacon, obviously, is the nectar of the Gods, so, yes, adding it is awesome. Lots of recipes use that as a great foundation, and since this is the holidays, probably a good time to do so :thumbsup2: , good call.

For me/us, with there being beef, another meat, & other heavy foods, I try to back off on the bacon addition...

David Chang has a great recipe, where fish sauce & other things add the umami punch, as does the Parmesan I mentioned.

Americans, generally, have the habit of adding fat for flavor (nothing wrong with that :thumbsup2: ), while in Asia, they tend to add things that add Umami, but not so much fat ( fish sauce, mushrooms, soy sauce, etc.)...and Parmesan does, too...

Also, I sort of developed my recipe over time, to free up burners because I was making something on top of the stove, that needed time & attention, and the oven method for sprouts is more forgiving, and has less fat.

They can still be finished stove-top, with a balsamic reduction & slivered almonds, maybe some dried cranberries, etc., ...

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 pm

NWGunner wrote:
David Chang has a great recipe, where fish sauce & other things add the umami punch, as does the Parmesan I mentioned.

I'm thinking about adding those in to mine. White and yellow miso pastes also work, in small amounts, too. There may have been some in the sauce I made for the chicken burritos last night.

NWGunner wrote:
Americans, generally, have the habit of adding fat for flavor (nothing wrong with that :thumbsup2: )

Fun fact, I'm not actually an American. I'm British. While I did add bacon fat for flavour and as the cooking fat, the acid from the vinegar really cuts through it pleasantly.

NWGunner wrote:
Also, I sort of developed my recipe over time, to free up burners because I was making something on top of the stove, that needed time & attention, and the oven method for sprouts is more forgiving, and has less fat.

Yep. And it seems a great recipe for that. I'll keep it filed away for when I've already got burners going.

NWGunner wrote:
They can still be finished stove-top, with a balsamic reduction & slivered almonds, maybe some dried cranberries, etc., ...

My wife loves balsmic reductions WAY more than I do. The rest sounds great, though.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WW is that regular vinegar, or balsamic in your Brussel sprout recipe?

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:26 am

Any of the regular vinegars that you like the taste of. I've used red-wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, and a couple of others.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pair of Cornish hens cooking now :)

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did asparagus in the sous vide last night for the first time. Saw a recipe that called for peeling the asparagus before cutting off the woody end, which I did (never done that before). Made it look pretty and there was no stringiness whatsoever. Put it in the bag with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a lemon slice. In at 180 for 30 minutes...Probably the best asparagus ever, was tender yet still had crunch.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

prq9218 wrote:
Did asparagus in the sous vide last night for the first time. Saw a recipe that called for peeling the asparagus before cutting off the woody end, which I did (never done that before). Made it look pretty and there was no stringiness whatsoever. Put it in the bag with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a lemon slice. In at 180 for 30 minutes...Probably the best asparagus ever, was tender yet still had crunch.

Interesting, may have to try this, thanks!

I generally roast 'em on a hot sheet pan, but this would be good if oven is in use :thumbsup2:

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prime rib sitting in the jacuzzi for 5 hours at 131 degrees.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
prq9218 wrote:

Interesting, may have to try this, thanks!

I generally roast 'em on a hot sheet pan, but this would be good if oven is in use :thumbsup2:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/th ... -asparagus

There's the website I got it from. They've got a bunch of sous vide recipes I'll be trying.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!

Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got the Chef Steps Joule for Christmas and last night was the trial run. Decided to go with a piece of tritip from Costco. I have had good luck with their prepackaged Morton's product and have cooked 6 or 8 of them now, so have benchmarks to compare against. I usually do tritip in the electric smoker to get it to about 130, then finish it by searing on the grill, and let it rest wrapped in towels in a small cooler for at least 30 mins before carving. My family always enjoys the meat from the smoker, but all 5 of us agreed we liked the sous vide meat better, despite the lack of smoke.

The method couldn't have been simpler. I put the prepackaged meat (came in a "Santa Maria" marinade) right into the sous vide pot in it's retail packaging. I ran the sous vide for 5 hours at 131 deg, then took it out of the sous vide and out of the packaging and put it on a metal baking sheet. I finished it by braising with a propane torch, and let it rest a little before carving. It was a beautiful pink from edge to edge and was noticeably more tender than any of my previous results. I think I will become very friendly with this new toy! But next time I will experiment by starting with some time in the smoker before the sous vide.....

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next