Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Sous-vide cooking 

golddigger14s wrote:
Does anybody put a couple of drops of bleach in their SV water so that it lasts longer before changing?

Why would you do that? Just dump the water each time. That's kinda gross

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Does anybody put a couple of drops of bleach in their SV water so that it lasts longer before changing?

Too much work.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

Too much work.

It's more work getting bleach out and adding it to water

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Necro-thread alert....

:zombie:

Well, I tried sous vide for the first time today. I bought a whole beef tenderloin for Christmas, cut four pieces of filet mignon out of the middle and froze them, and cooked up the rest of it. Well, I finally brought two of the filets out of the freezer, and we ate them tonight.

These filets are 2" thick. I decided to experiment not only with sous vide (using my Instant Pot which has the SV function), but with "fancying it up" a little. Usually I'm 100% against that, but I've been YouTube-inspired. :bigsmile:

First step was to thaw them and wrap them with twine. They flattened out a little when I vacuum-sealed them to freeze, and I wanted to restore their shape and protect it when I vacuum-sealed them again to do the SV. I thawed them, tied them, seasoned them with coarse sea salt, and left them open in the fridge for a day to "dry brine." Here they are after they came out:

I added black pepper and garlic powder, and vacuum-sealed them:

Then it was into the Instant Pot at 132 degrees for about three hours, and then out they came:

(Yeah, not too appealing, as expected.)

Then I gave them a good sear in a pan on the stove with avocado oil, and onto the plate they went:

The accompaniments:

- Asparagus with olive oil, garlic salt and parmesan, air roasted at 400 for 10-12 minutes.
- A vegetable puree with a radicchio salad under the meat.
- A little grated frozen blue cheese on top of the salad and on top of the meat.

My takeaways:

1) The meat was damned good. I don't think it was the most tender filet I've had, but that was a good thing -- the texture was really nice, having a bit of "chew" to it. The "doneness" was just right for both of us. We both thought that the meat was a tiny bit too salty; maybe the dry brining does that, more so than just adding salt before cooking? Or maybe I just put too much salt on it. Or maybe the blue cheese took it over the top, salt-wise.

2) The asparagus was awesome. We both loved it.

3) The vegetable puree was inspired by a video that I saw, but I used different veggies. I have a big bag of frozen peas and carrots in the freezer that will probably never get eaten, so I used those. I put them in a saucepan, added a little chicken broth and a handful of frozen garlic bits, and then cooked the shit out of it. Then into the blender with the solids and a bit of the liquid, and a couple of pats of butter, and I pureed it. And ya know what? Those unappealing frozen peas and carrots turned out damned good! I not only scraped up the puree that was under the meat, but I ate a whole bowl-ful of leftover puree after dinner was officially over. :wink05:

4) The raddichio salad was chopped up raddichio, with a little blood orange-infused olive oil, a touch of salt, and some chopped-up chives. It added a little crunch and texture so I guess it was good, but beyond that I wasn't in love with it. But hey, it's a little different, so whatever.

5) Those Corelle plates scream "classy"! :rofl9:

Bottom line . . . it's more work than I normally want to put into a single meal, but it was fun and I learned a lot. The sous vide function took a long time of course, but it was nice to be able to cook the meat exactly how I wanted it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:55 pm

The other major advantage of sous-vide is that once the meat is up to temperature it can hang out there for a long time being nearly-ready-to-eat. So, if you're not sure when your wife will get back, but she'll want to eat within 10 minutes, get protein in the sous-vide for the beginning of the window she's due back, and have salad ready to shop. While you're searing, chop the salad and serve.

Instant plus points from the wife.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great point!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once you go SV you never go back!
I use mine about 4 times a week. So simple, so perfect.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:12 am

golddigger14s wrote:
Once you go SV you never go back!

I mean... I did, and I've taken a break. I've smoked, I've used cast iron, I've used non-sticks and the oven, and stuff.

I should get back in to it. Probably the corned beef I have, from frozen, to have as corned beef, rather than smoking it into pastrami.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I SV, smoke, cast iron, air fry, you name it. Everything has its place just like all my guns that were lost in that tragic boating accident. :bigsmile:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:38 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm going to sous vide a couple of steaks on Monday, and see if the sous vide can make a comeback against the smoker.

But this time, SV ain't fuckin' around with the sear at the end. :thumbsup2:

If you want to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdRKZNJ6JFA

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So you boil the Meat and then use a flamethrower to sear it?? All in the name of trying to recreate what cooking meat over actual fire does?
Savages...
:facepalm2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:
So you boil the Meat and then use a flamethrower to sear it?? All in the name of trying to recreate what cooking meat over actual fire does?
Savages...
:facepalm2:

We'll see. The last test was filet mignon done both sous vide (then seared on the pellet grill) and then reverse-seared on the pellet grill. The grilled version was noticeably tastier.

This one will be NY strip steaks. We made them from the pellet grill last night, and they were really good, with a similar taste to the filet (but different consistency). Now we'll try SV on Monday.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:12 pm

I used one of the Searzall things, when they were new. I have some lessons-learned that might be useful. I'm sure you'll know most already, but maybe not all, and I suspect that some others will have a different set of the ones they know.

Firstly - dry the steak. Don't waste energy steaming your steak to overcook the outside of it before it sears. It'll make everything take too long, and run more meat above the temperature that you want.
Second - Let the outside of the steak cool for a while. Think about the heat energy in the meat - it any spot gets above the temperature you want, it'll get more well-done than you want, so a nice buffer of colder meat (that has been to the temperature that you want it at) will provide a buffer against the wave of heat for searing. If you want this take to the extreme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tgxzXmpKQ - Cryo-frying.
Third - pepper burns under those heats. The vapors stop the meat from browning until you've got a lot of burned-pepper flavor, so pepper happens after sear.

My favourite steak so far has been reverse seared on the smoker, but I had to tend it, and it was ready when it was ready. The question, to me, is about trade-offs - can you make a steak nearly as good as your favourite method, with less effort due to the sous-vide? Is that trade-off worth it to you?

I don't own a large kitchen blowtorch.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to see Steve burn his meat and eat it.

Good point WW about drying it.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I'm going to sous vide a couple of steaks on Monday, and see if the sous vide can make a comeback against the smoker.

But this time, SV ain't fuckin' around with the sear at the end. :thumbsup2:

If you want to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdRKZNJ6JFA

Might have to get one of those!

Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next