Take away only. :bigsmile:

Bring a batch to the NY Shoot!

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Ok mine is on the stove. Looks excellent. Being a chef I made a few changes and the recipe has a few typos. Plus no good tomatillos around this time of year! Sounders on. I'll be back with a report

Wow sounds great. Definitely interested to hear how it turns out. For sure let us know if you see a good way or two to improve the recipe.

First of all the recipe is great. It makes a nice chile verde.

I used a nice fat shoulder butt, which had a blade bone in, so I cut the meat off and cubed it. If you can have a butcher do this - then for sure your advice is great, save counter time. I could tell this meat would be nicely tender. The bone with clinging meat I started right away in some vegetable stock for my "clear" liquid. After I browned it deeply. Also I browned the meat spread out in two pans so it wasn't boiling in juices. Just a perfect flavor sear. Oh - I almost forgot I browned it with a couple rashers of quality bacon. Just to alter the flavor profile slightly. The other sauce I had is interesting.......as I wrote, the tomatillos at the store are beyond pathetic, more like rotten. So I used canned tomatillo sauce. Which kinda sucks. But I combined it with my stock above from deglazing and the bone.

The peppers, no fresh pablano so I used 2 pasillas. Oddly the Anaheims had some kick. Plus I roasted one fresh yellow bell pepper for some sweetness color and texture. I used two jalapenos and two serranos. The recipe doesn't say when to add the peppers, but I assume with the tomatillos. No bay leaf in the ingredient list, no biggie. Added. I ground my own coriander and cumin, way tastier fresh ground.

None of us like cooked cilantro, left that out. Some fresh is OK on the side, chopped and cooked tastes like soap to some people's taste buds.

This was tender in just over an hour, let it go longer.

Wow that's great Pablo thank you. I need to up my game when it comes to making stock. The bacon is great too. Our local supermarket seems to have a year round stock of various peppers and tomatillos which is great. Thank you for the warning on cooked cilantro. Definitely I added bay leaves also fixing this ingredient list now.

Also I did add the roasted chiles with the tomatillos. They are fairly well cooked after being roasted so they go in just before adding stock and/or water.

Pictures look awesome.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:53 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pablo wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Ok mine is on the stove. Looks excellent. Being a chef I made a few changes and the recipe has a few typos. Plus no good tomatillos around this time of year! Sounders on. I'll be back with a report

Wow sounds great. Definitely interested to hear how it turns out. For sure let us know if you see a good way or two to improve the recipe.

First of all the recipe is great. It makes a nice chile verde.

I used a nice fat shoulder butt, which had a blade bone in, so I cut the meat off and cubed it. If you can have a butcher do this - then for sure your advice is great, save counter time. I could tell this meat would be nicely tender. The bone with clinging meat I started right away in some vegetable stock for my "clear" liquid. After I browned it deeply. Also I browned the meat spread out in two pans so it wasn't boiling in juices. Just a perfect flavor sear. Oh - I almost forgot I browned it with a couple rashers of quality bacon. Just to alter the flavor profile slightly. The other sauce I had is interesting.......as I wrote, the tomatillos at the store are beyond pathetic, more like rotten. So I used canned tomatillo sauce. Which kinda sucks. But I combined it with my stock above from deglazing and the bone.

The peppers, no fresh pablano so I used 2 pasillas. Oddly the Anaheims had some kick. Plus I roasted one fresh yellow bell pepper for some sweetness color and texture. I used two jalapenos and two serranos. The recipe doesn't say when to add the peppers, but I assume with the tomatillos. No bay leaf in the ingredient list, no biggie. Added. I ground my own coriander and cumin, way tastier fresh ground.

None of us like cooked cilantro, left that out. Some fresh is OK on the side, chopped and cooked tastes like soap to some people's taste buds.

This was tender in just over an hour, let it go longer.

This is educational and inspirational. :cheers2: I did not know that you are a chef. From reading this post I can see lots of differences between the way I throw stuff together when I cook and the way an expert works.

I don't recall ever cooking cilantro before, except for probably when reheating a dish that already had some on it.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
This is educational and inspirational. :cheers2: I did not know that you are a chef. From reading this post I can see lots of differences between the way I throw stuff together when I cook and the way an expert works.

I don't recall ever cooking cilantro before, except for probably when reheating a dish that already had some on it.

I left the word HACK out of in front of (working) chef. In a previous life. I was never a "real" working chef, but after graduating with my BS I went to work in the food industry, lab work, the pinnacle I was a test kitchen chef for a major west coast chain based in So Cal. I woke the hell up and figured out the pay wasn't shit. But I did get a good food science and food microbiology background. My brother and I learned a lot from our parents/grandparents and my granddad was an awesome old school Italian cook. My brother does some things really awesome (yes during his college years he was a real chef!)

Anyway, I just got back home. Starving!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are making ours for a Christmas party on Thursday. I'll have to post how it turned out.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2