Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Interesting Article on Monkfish 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty cool article on the sustainability of monkish fisheries on Fox today. An interesting read both for fans of monkfish as well as those that might not be familiar. Often referred to as the 'poor man's lobster' which turns out to be surprisingly accurate.

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2018/03/02/fishermen-promoting-nightmare-monkfish-as-affordable-seafood.html

Monkfish with melted lemon butter yummmm

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monkfish is good eating. Can be used in a number of ways. Pollock is another miracle fish...

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
Monkfish is good eating. Can be used in a number of ways. Pollock is another miracle fish...

Pollock is everywhere. Forever that was the McDonald's filet o fish. The Japanese buy up almost all of it though for their Surimi. A lot of "cod" filets are pollock as well. Its THE ubiquitous whitefish.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's also used in imitation crab meat.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's pretty interesting about type of fish used in surimi. I always wondered what's used to make imitation crab meat.

Isn't pollock also typically used in traditional fish and chips or is that more cod?

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally cod or halibut. But pollock will do for a cheap substitute.

Last edited by Captain90s on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Million dollar question. Where can I get monkfish in Oly?

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

Olympia Seafood, maybe. Even if they don't carry it, they might can order it for you.

A number of places don't 'carry' something, but might order it in for you if one of their suppliers carries it.

There's also the Olympia Farmer's Merket. There were about 3 fish vendors last time I was there.

If no luck, I'd mule it from Seattle to Tacoma for ya, if you wanted to drive up & we located it here.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

Olympia Seafood, maybe. Even if they don't carry it, they might can order it for you.

A number of places don't 'carry' something, but might order it in for you if one of their suppliers carries it.

There's also the Olympia Farmer's Merket. There were about 3 fish vendors last time I was there.

If no luck, I'd mule it from Seattle to Tacoma for ya, if you wanted to drive up & we located it here.

:plusone: Olympia Seafood is great and would be my recommendation also, man I miss that place.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]