Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What is the SECRET to Hash Browns?! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Deep frier full of bacon grease, shred directly into the frier.

Remove when crispy, let drain on paper towels, serve up with a dozen eggs over easy, a pound of oven baked bacon plus a gallon a coffee, and now you got some breakfast.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Fri May 25, 2018 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I consider myself to be the king of dehydrated hashbrowns. I was trained by a master.

Get the Costco dehydrated guys. Re-hydrate them. Drain them. Put butter on the skillet, or a frying pan(my preference). Put hashbrowns in until about 3/4" thick, maybe 1". Cover them in salt and pepper. Leave them alone. If you stir them, throw them away. Randomly look at the bottom. When the bottom is nice and brown, get some more butter out. Flatten the top of the pancake, as they like to flip up. Drop it onto the pancake, moving it around to butter the top side.

Now, get your flip on and flip the entire hashbrown pancake like the master chef you are. In the frying pan this is easy. On a flat-top you'll probably need a giant spatula. I have 2. Sometimes you'll need to cut them into smaller pancakes so you can flip them.

Again, leave them alone. Don't stir them. Randomly look at the bottom. When the bottom is nice and brown, pull them off. Crispy on the top and bottom, soft in the middle. Amazing.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:44 am

I was reading some foodie stuff over on MSN and saw something that is worth trying....

Hashbrowns cooked in a waffle iron. Hmmmm..... almost sounds too easy.
I've got a belgian waffle iron that gets very little (ok, NO) use, so this may turn it into a useful appliance again.
I just picked up a 5# sac of russets, so I think a little experimenting is warranted.

Anyone try this?

ETA -- Actually --- seems like a really good idea the more I think about it.... trapping the steam in with the spuds to help cook quicker.... both sides at once.... the only issue I see is trying to get the waffle iron oiled well enuff - especially the top iron, which I usually fail at...

Gonna have to try this with both the shred/rinse/dry and the pre-bake/shred method..... I'm thinking the shred/rinse/dry should work out pretty nicely using a basting brush to apply oil to the bottom iron and then brush the top of the spuds.

Mmmmm..... dinner hashbrowns..... they'd go with everything.....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I was reading some foodie stuff over on MSN and saw something that is worth trying....

Hashbrowns cooked in a waffle iron. Hmmmm..... almost sounds too easy.
I've got a belgian waffle iron that gets very little (ok, NO) use, so this may turn it into a useful appliance again.
I just picked up a 5# sac of russets, so I think a little experimenting is warranted.

Anyone try this?

ETA -- Actually --- seems like a really good idea the more I think about it.... trapping the steam in with the spuds to help cook quicker.... both sides at once.... the only issue I see is trying to get the waffle iron oiled well enuff - especially the top iron, which I usually fail at...

Gonna have to try this with both the shred/rinse/dry and the pre-bake/shred method..... I'm thinking the shred/rinse/dry should work out pretty nicely using a basting brush to apply oil to the bottom iron and then brush the top of the spuds.

Mmmmm..... dinner hashbrowns..... they'd go with everything.....

Damn good idea. Just spray the top burner.
I'm trying this!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, in theory it sounded good. Problem is it's too small.
Maybe a George Forman grill might work better.

Or a sandwich grill:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:48 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

AR15L wrote:
Well, in theory it sounded good. Problem is it's too small.
Maybe a George Forman grill might work better.

+1 on the Foreman Grill

I've owned at least a half dozen of them over the years.
Kept going bigger, used to take the old ones to work when the teflon wore out.
Think the last one I bought was the mega version, could cook 5-6 six inch Costco frozen sirloin burgers at once.

Now I usually just use an electric griddle.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:54 am

Actually, I think the belgian waffle iron should work pretty good for a single serving.... I usually shred up a medium sized spud and it pretty much fills my 10"(at the bottom) CI skillet ~1/2' deep --- the pockets in the belgian WI are pretty deep and have lots of surface area, and of course you get the added pressure of squeezing it down.... so I'm thinking it 'should' do pretty well. I am envisioning making several at a time/ahead of time and freezing-reheating them in the toaster oven or main oven for company.

Its what I've got to work with.... don't plan on picking up any more 'gadgets' that I may or may not use regularly.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's the secret? Find a small out of the way "Breakfast/Lunch" restaurant with a grill that hasn't been cleaned for the last 20 years or more. Hashbrowns done on one end meats on the other, and eggs in a pan sitting on the grill in the middle.

When I was traveling for my job that seemed to be the formula.

Best ones I ran across were served in a hole in the wall restaurant in Mt View just outside of Anchorage. The owner was a foul mouthed broad that made the hash browns from potatoes she'd boiled the night before hen put in the refrigerator. Place had 3-4 tables the size of checkerboards and about 6 stools at a counter. Breakfast was Hashbrowns, Eggs, and choice of meat (Ham, Sausage patty, or bacon). People would sit in their vehicles keeping warm until someone would leave than rush in to grab their empty seat. Best hash browns I remember.

She had no helpers. You gave her your order when you walked in. If you sat at the counter she'd deliver it to you. If you sat at a table she shouted at you to come get your ^*^%%$ breakfast. If you delayed, she'd give it to someone at the counter that ordered the same and you waited until she got around to fixing your order again. You paid on the way out, again at the end of the counter. Cash only, no checks or credit cards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Growing up in MN..... the defacto hash browns that NEVER disappointed could ALWAYS be found at Perkins.... a kick ass omelet, three pancakes and hashbrowns..... stuffed and good to go. It was always a stop on the way home form the bars -- kill the hangover before it even starts. Hard to find anything as good -- sometimes at a truck stop, but its always hit and miss -- ask for 'crispy browns' and you'd usually get 'passable'. Good enuff, not too hard to find.... awesome hash browns, thats a hard one.

You find a place that does 'haystack' potatoes and/or onion rings --------- THATS A WINNER --- deep fried shreds NOT in a patty..... oh god!!!!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a meal at Strickers like that not too long ago. In fact I think they called it the "Haystack".

It was damned good.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/prod ... -4-burner/

Something like this will give you PLENTY of space to spread out those hash browns. Unless you have eggs and bacon going too, then it gets a little crowded.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While certainly attractive, and useful in other ways, cooking for just me... I'm not going to drop $300+ on a hash brown cooker :bigsmile:

Buddy is a chef. I axed him how he do. Agreeing with some of the comments posted here, he says to cook them taters first or used left-over cooked taters.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I had a meal at Strickers like that not too long ago. In fact I think they called it the "Haystack".

It was damned good.

Damn this makes me feel old, back when I used to be a breakfast cook breakfast cost as low as $2.99 to $5

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lionhrt wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

It was damned good.

Damn this makes me feel old, back when I used to be a breakfast cook breakfast cost as low as $2.99 to $5

I feel you. Going out to eat isn't a daily thing anymore. It's back to being a special event or something that will make me do things which require a long time curled up on the shower floor under running water. (crying)

FJB

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:56 pm

I have found cutting, soaking, squeezing and then freezing to work pretty well. I use left over baked/boiled potatoes for my country potatoes (peppers and onions). I've done deep friend but unless I'm making a lot its a pain to break out the cast iron pot. I do a lot of breakfast cooking on my flat top outside. Wish I could mount it inside. Works really well.

I've got a 36" at home for a family of four or when I have people over. I've got the Camp Chef version and dad has the Blackstone. I like his Blackstone better than my Camp Chef.

I've got the 22" for camping. First test was cooking for my crew at NW Nitros. Worked fairly well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACKSTONE-2 ... /179647360

I'll be getting the 17" for my parents for when they go RV-ing. I've heard the 17 is great for one or two people and goes on sale all the time for 40-50 bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-1 ... /170589501

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next