Switch to full style
Let's talk about anything food- or drink-related, whether it be home cooking, bars or restaurants!
Post a reply

Sourdough

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 am

I grew up on Sourdough pancakes and waffles. They dominate the trash you get everywhere else. They are nice and thin with great flavor. No giant pile of pancake that sucks all the moisture out of your mouth.

We would also turn the sourdough started into pizza dough. So damn good.

Anybody cook with sourdough? Anybody got starter in your fridge right now, or growing on your countertop?

At one point I tried to make my own starter, but it didn't work out well. We always got it from a family/friends, which is the best way to go.

Re: Sourdough

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

Love sourdough.been thinking about make my own starter

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:56 am

I had a doctor tell me that sourdough was better for diabetics, we buy it all the time.
We had some starter years ago, but now really only use the breadmaker for pizza crust.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:53 pm

There's supposedly a guy in Portland whose got a starter over 100 years old. For a small fee he will send you some. I'll try to dig up the article.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Been making homemade sourdough breads, bagels, etc for over 10 years ... there is always a jar of starter on the fridge or on the counter.

We don't buy any breads anymore.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Awesome! :bow:

Organic flour, wild biga (Italian starter, essentially wild sourdough yeast), water, a little salt = awesome bread

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Been making virtually all baked goods with sourdough for years. Breads, bagels, cakes, muffins, cookies, pizza, etc.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:30 pm

techiej wrote:Been making virtually all baked goods with sourdough for years. Breads, bagels, cakes, muffins, cookies, pizza, etc.

Right on and if you use organic wheat, super healthy. :bigsmile:

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:03 am

Starter is easy to do. I keep it in a half gallon jar in the cabin refrigerator feed it every time I go up..........Hell I even have a starter here in my refrigerator but mine is gluten free.
Post a reply