Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Recipes for one. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure I'm not the only single guy here, but now that I've moved to OK I am truly solo. I know I can just adjust recipe amounts, but I would like to get some recipes truly designed for a single person. If not posting a recipe, a link is fine also. Simple, low carb, and quick is what I'm looking for. Don't leave out sous vide.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:28 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

In my book, a dinner for one isn't any different than a dinner for eight. Cook in volume, freeze leftovers, and eat good shit all the time. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
In my book, a dinner for one isn't any different than a dinner for eight. Cook in volume, freeze leftovers, and eat good shit all the time. thumbsup

Agreed.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

And way less work that way too.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I posted this elsewhere, and got a good tip. Get a muffin pan, portion out the leftovers and freeze. The next day pop them out into ziplock, or vacuum bags.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I posted this elsewhere, and got a good tip. Get a muffin pan, portion out the leftovers and freeze. The next day pop them out into ziplock, or vacuum bags.

You may not want to wait 'til the next day...

If uncovered, you could get freezer burn, and after 2-4 hours (depending on moisture content), it could be tough to get out of muffin tins....

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

If uncovered, you could get freezer burn, and after 2-4 hours (depending on moisture content), it could be tough to get out of muffin tins....

If I go this route I will use silicone.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

If I go this route I will use silicone.

Yer going to caulk your leftovers?

BTW: NWGunner... You really should consider buying a new fridge. If yours only keeps food good for three days, and the freezer burns food overnight, there is something seriously wrong with it. :wink05: :ROFLMAO:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:ROFLMAO:

Freezer burn is the dehydration & oxidation that occurs from the air reaching the food....not necessarily just the ice crystals you see from prolonged exposure.

I portion freeze lots of stuff, and my concern was that if he filled the tins & left them overnight, you would literally have frozen crystals on the surface, as well as the smells of the fridge that circulate all night long throughout the system.

Granted, it's not the crunchy-ice crystal-laden things we think of, but it's still freezer burn....

Just freezing for 1-4 hours, depending on moisture content, solidifies things well enough that you can then pluck them out and store in freezer bags, containers, or vacuum seal.

I'm not sure what the 3 hour thing is in reference to.

Sorry for my poorly elaborated post, Selador....

We do need a new fridge, you buyin' :thumbsup2:

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
:ROFLMAO:

Freezer burn is the dehydration & oxidation that occurs from the air reaching the food....not necessarily just the ice crystals you see from prolonged exposure.

I portion freeze lots of stuff, and my concern was that if he filled the tins & left them overnight, you would literally have frozen crystals on the surface, as well as the smells of the fridge that circulate all night long throughout the system.

Granted, it's not the crunchy-ice crystal-laden things we think of, but it's still freezer burn....

Just freezing for 1-4 hours, depending on moisture content, solidifies things well enough that you can then pluck them out and store in freezer bags, containers, or vacuum seal.

I'm not sure what the 3 hour thing is in reference to.

Sorry for my poorly elaborated post, Selador....

We do need a new fridge, you buyin' :thumbsup2:

Heck no.

I was hoping to convince you, and then snag your old one. :wink05:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not worth your trouble...

Oh, and Goldie....I prefer regular muffin tins, and mini muffin tins, as opposed to silicone, for freezing....

Reason being, our freezer tends to be pretty full, and I like the sturdiness of a regular, non-stick tin, sprayed with a touch of coconut oil.

If you always have a flat, clear area, then yeah, silicone works.

Another thing that works well are ice cube trays.

Grab a huge bag of Basil for cheap at Cash & Carry, make a big batch of pesto, and freeze in ice cube trays. Once frozen, pluck out & put into freezer bags.

Quick, lazy dinner, boil pasta, bam...

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:54 pm

I cook for one and I cook the full size porkloins and roasts. I smoked a six pound pork loin Wensday and then froze it so I could take it up to the cabin and it act as ice Thursday. I had sliced porkloin with baked potatoes or chopped porkloin sanwiches....or porkloin tacos it just aint that hard and I have to be gluten free.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So Goldigger....

Here's something that can be a recipe for one, or for 10; it's easy-peasy, you can change up the seasonings & sauce as you see fit, and there's no planning....okay you may have to plan what you want to go with it, but....

How about cooking chicken breasts from frozen?

No thawing, no guessing if the center is thawed & ready....

There are multiple recipes online, but the one below is pretty close to what I do if I don't have something planned, or get home late.

Just keep a bag of frozen breasts in the freezer, and you're good to go.

Turns out moist, and quality of the chicken helps with flavor in this case:

https://cookthestory.com/how-to-cook-ch ... om-frozen/

Admittedly, we don't usually just do 1 at a time; at a minimum, I'll do 3 or 4 so we'll have leftovers for lunches, or dinner the next night.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Agreed. I have about 4 or so meals on rotation. Make your normal meals and tupperware is your friend.

Supplement with an occassional meal out, or different single entree for variety.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next