Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Propane and propane accessories. (Hank Hills voice) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you guys forgot to mention something.
The date stamp is beyond the ten year mark.

Looks like I'll be buying two twenty's after all.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got an engraver? Certify it yourself.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mcyclonegt wrote:
:bigsmile: I just filled 940 gallons for 1.19 a gallon. :bigsmile:

WHERE! I've been waiting for the prices to drop to have them come fill up my tank (she's on... fumes lol). I got my tank and initial fill from All American Propane. Lasted 2 years on 125 gallons.. That's pretty good.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
:bigsmile: I just filled 940 gallons for 1.19 a gallon. :bigsmile:

WHERE! I've been waiting for the prices to drop to have them come fill up my tank (she's on... fumes lol). I got my tank and initial fill from All American Propane. Lasted 2 years on 125 gallons.. That's pretty good.

I went with pacific coast out of Tumwater this time. C&D, all American were 10 cents higher this year.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:32 am

I've been swapping out my old rusty/out of date tanks at Blue Rhino..... get nice shiny tanks in return. Went and got one filled completely a couple of weeks ago --- what a difference to get a FULL tank - gauge on the weber still saying 'full' after two weeks of use --- exchange tank starts out a 3/4.

I went down to the local RV park - only ~1.5 miles from the house - $2.49/gallon --- FULL tank for $16.29. Its not really worth it to try and get a better price per gallon --- $.15 on 4.7 gallons is only $.70 on a full fill -- you'll spend more in gas driving to save that $.70....
BTW --- the nicest people run RV park.... although the guy did give me a bit of grief because the BR tank was out of date.... told him their website says they test each tank when they fill and he seemed ok with it.

Heads up too --- keep an eye on whether the tank is a single handle or a double handled tank if it matters to you ---- my weber doesn't like the double handled tanks..... hose is too short to reach on a double handled tank --- found this out the hard way. Had to go to several BR cages to find a single handled tank last time, chocked full of doubles.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I've been swapping out my old rusty/out of date tanks at Blue Rhino..... get nice shiny tanks in return. Went and got one filled completely a couple of weeks ago --- what a difference to get a FULL tank - gauge on the weber still saying 'full' after two weeks of use --- exchange tank starts out a 3/4.

I went down to the local RV park - only ~1.5 miles from the house - $2.49/gallon --- FULL tank for $16.29. Its not really worth it to try and get a better price per gallon --- $.15 on 4.7 gallons is only $.70 on a full fill -- you'll spend more in gas driving to save that $.70....
BTW --- the nicest people run RV park.... although the guy did give me a bit of grief because the BR tank was out of date.... told him their website says they test each tank when they fill and he seemed ok with it.

Heads up too --- keep an eye on whether the tank is a single handle or a double handled tank if it matters to you ---- my weber doesn't like the double handled tanks..... hose is too short to reachh on a double handled tank --- found this out the hard way. Had to go to several BR cages to find a single handled tank last time, chocked full of doubles.

That's what she said. icon_eek

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
How much should the tank weigh?
38 lbs. for a full 20 lb. size propane tank, 18 lbs. if empty.
54 lbs. for a full 30 lb. size propane tank, 24 lbs. if empty.
70 lbs. for a full 40 lb. size propane tank, 29 lbs. if empty.

What size is my propane tank?
18 inches high and 12.5 inches diameter for a 20 lb. propane tank
24 inches high and 12.5 inches diameter for a 30 lb. propane tank
29 inches high and 12.5 inches in diameter for a 40 lb. propane tank

YES! Now I will get the weight scale.

I've got two 30# tanks on my travel trailer. On the top collar there are several "stampings" giving all the pertinent data for each given tank. They aren't all necessarily the same so use what's stamped on the collar. Only two that matter are the TW (Tare Weight) and the capacity which in my case is 30#.

Add the two together and that's what the tank should weigh when full. I weigh my tanks prior to a camping trip to make sure I don't run out. Hate cold food, cold water, and a cold butt :bigsmile:

Where you can get screwed is when you are low, know you need more propane than you have then have to buy a spare or exchange the partially full tank.

I prefer to fill by meter. That and the fact my tanks are 30# and no exchange.

One plus to 20# exchanges is when your tank is reaching it's "inspection date". Exchange and get one that has years to go rather than just months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I plan on doing some yard sales this weekend. I should be able to find a 20lb tank or two for next to nothing.
If all else fails, I have a plan B:
$29.99 NEW at Lowes.

Pacific Welding Supplies in Auburn said refills are $13.95 :thumbsup2:

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
I plan on doing some yard sales this weekend. I should be able to find a 20lb tank or two for next to nothing.

Just make sure it has the newer OPD (triangular handle) valve on it if you want to get it filled. Might also check the date on the top collar too.

A new tank is a great idea. Nothing to worry about for 10 years.

The most likely reason tanks are sold at garage sales is that the fill station refused to fill that old BBQ tank as it didn't have the OPD valve or it's re certification date has passed.

Well there is also the possibility It was stolen from someone's travel trailer parked alongside their house or in a storage lot. icon_eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The "certification date" is a BS Scam. Its as bad as paying the fire extinguisher inspector to turn your bottle over and smack it with a mallet and look at the gauge and give you a new tag.

If the tank looks good with no GOUGES or bad PITTED rust then just get out your engraver and put a new date on it yourself. Thats all the propane guy does. He looks it over, takes your money and then scribbles some shit on it with an engraver.

Its NOTHING like getting a real cylinder certed at the welding supply. They actually take high pressure tanks and dip them into a measured container of liquid and then measure the amount of liquid displaced when its charged with high pressure. If it leaks or displaces too much fluid, its rejected. If its ok, it gets recerted.

The guy at the propane place performs NO actual TEST om your tank, he just looks it over for MONEY.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Just make sure it has the newer OPD (triangular handle) valve on it if you want to get it filled. Might also check the date on the top collar too.

Yep, got it stamped in my brain.
I knew about the OPD but actually forgot about the date.

Quote:
Its NOTHING like getting a real cylinder certed at the welding supply.

I was quoted $35 for a recert on my 30lb tank from Pacific. Mmm... no thanks.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Don't overlook a non OPD tank if you find one for free --- you can still exchange it at BR for a good tank --- only thing they reject for is severely abused tanks - dented, HEAVY rust.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Don't overlook a non OPD tank if you find one for free --- you can still exchange it at BR for a good tank --- only thing they reject for is severely abused tanks - dented, HEAVY rust.

That I didn't think they'd do. Thanks :bow:

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got both a 30 pound tank, and a 40 pound tank that don't have the new valve on them. (Ergo, you'd think they are also out of date. I never checked.)

They fill them every time. No problem.

Why?

I took a large marker, and wrote "Torch only" on the tanks. If they ask, I tell them they are for the weedburner torch.

I do use them for that, sometimes, so I'm not lying... :wink05: :bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next