Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:08 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Snows BBQ in Lexington, TX 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We made the drive to Snow's BBQ this morning in Lexington, TX a small town with population 1200. When we arrived you could hear the cattle bellowing at a nearby auction lot :bigsmile: We arrived in time to get in line about 7am with the BBQ joint opening at 8am and we were eating at about 8:45am or so. BBQ for breakfast :bigsmile:
https://snowsbbq.com/

It's roughly one hour's drive from Austin to the northeast out in the country.

Well I took our Panasonic camera and when getting ready to take our first picture realized the SD Card was not in the camera :facepalm2:
We did manage to salvage some photos with my wife's cell phone

While waiting in line the proprietor came out and did a random drawing with prizes such as free t-shirt, free baseball cap, or a cut to the front of the line. Plus he served Lone Star beer at eight in the morning :cheers2:

We ordered a pound each of BBQ brisket, BBQ pork shoulder, and Jalapeno sausage along with 2 pounds of pork ribs and a large side of potato salad and cole slaw. Brisket was awesome with a great smoke ring and bark, pulled pork was delicious and so was the jalapeno sausage. Who am I kidding, it was all great!!! Even the potato salad was bomb diggity.

This establishment as well as the (somewhat) nearby Louis Mueller's BBQ in Taylor, TX are both top-notch BBQ joints. The beef back ribs at Louis Mueller's are basically a big steak with some rib bone thrown in :drool: Both places well worth a visit if anyone is in the Austin area.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, looks like I need to plan a vacation to Texas. Those ribs look magnificent! Looks like a very happy child with you as well.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WOW, you made me hungry

looks delicious as is

Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man that looks GREAT.

BBQ around here just SUCKS. There is NO getting around that!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

William was a happy camper indeed :bigsmile: He's a devoted meatatarian and was pretty excited about Snows BBQ.

There is a lot of great BBQ establishments here in Central Texas. It's all about beef brisket and beef ribs here. A bit different than BBQ in the deep South that's really all about the pork. There was an older couple there from North Carolina today really looking forward to getting some great brisket which they were saying is pretty hard for them to find back home.

We only go to BBQ maybe twice a year as it's a bit expensive by the time we order food to take home as well (the fridge has a LOT of leftover brisket, ribs, pork, and sausage right now). If we went more often I'd be packing a lot more pounds on me :bigsmile: I'm already a big beer drinker so a regular diet of beer & BBQ would really do me in lol.

Used to be Dixie's BBQ in Bellevue was really great though it has been many moons since I lived and worked there now. Not sure if they're still in business. We used to have a place west of Olympia on Highway 8 (to Gray's Harbor) called The Ranch House. I thought that was pretty great for sure.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ranch House is pretty good, but the meat has zero resemblance to real smoke aroma and flavor. It's real light if the smoke is there, and what you pick up is like burned couch. Brisket is tender, ribs super tender.

Dixie's was OK, joint not even a shell of what it used to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie%27s_BBQ

Whatever was in the pan, not surprised by cancer death back in 2010.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Ranch House is pretty good, but the meat has zero resemblance to real smoke aroma and flavor. It's real light if the smoke is there, and what you pick up is like burned couch. Brisket is tender, ribs super tender.

Dixie's was OK, joint not even a shell of what it used to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie%27s_BBQ

Whatever was in the pan, not surprised by cancer death back in 2010.

Really unfortunate to hear about Dixie's. I used to work down the road near Bellevue Way & Northup, just down the road from Dixie's. Sad to hear that their family has seen so many death's in such a short time. I remember Gene walking around at lunch declaring 'Who wants to meet The Man?' lol. That stuff looked like lava.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:06 pm

If you guys haven't tried it out yet --- Carolina Smoke in Bothell (on the front edge of Country Village) is pretty damn good too. Its my goto when I'm craving good smoked bbq - awesome pulled pork and brisket. They will be moving soon when Country Village is gutted out for condos, but say they are going to try and stay local to Bothell.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
If you guys haven't tried it out yet --- Carolina Smoke in Bothell (on the front edge of Country Village) is pretty damn good too. Its my goto when I'm craving good smoked bbq - awesome pulled pork and brisket. They will be moving soon when Country Village is gutted out for condos, but say they are going to try and stay local to Bothell.

I am ok with the meat, avoid their sandwiches. One time stale bread. Next time moldy bread! Strange sauce but that is a matter of taste.

Anyone try Amarillo in Monroe?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

I am ok with the meat, avoid their sandwiches. One time stale bread. Next time moldy bread! Strange sauce but that is a matter of taste.

No, but I'm in Monroe every day. Should I?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old11bravo wrote:
Pablo wrote:

No, but I'm in Monroe every day. Should I?

Bring your bankroll. Not cheap. The pulled pork was actually tasty, brisket on the edge of being dry, but not terrible. Corn bread, beans and slaw all good.

The sauce was very strange..........the owner replied to me to say OOPS, they left some ingredients out.

Skip a lunch or two out (save your money) and give it a try.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]