Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:58 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Water Fasting, or WaNoGrubs 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Water fasting...
Looking for other people's experience and methods for success.
I had to bail after 59.5 hours yesterday, but didn't cave in from hunger at all. I have a torn labrum and rotator cuff ( like viewtopic.php?f=33&t=60114 ) and had a fairly strenuous job that took about 5 hours yesterday. Well, I don't like the idea of dropping a prescription painkiller at all, but even less on an empty stomach and the shoulder does keep me awake some nights. After yesterday's labor I knew that I wasn't going to sleep unless damped the fire in the shoulder down a bit, so had turkey leftovers. Nummers.

Does anyone else occasionally go on a water fast? I don't do it for weight loss, but just an occasional emptying of the system. Honestly, I kind of enjoy the privation and knowledge that a week without food won't hurt you if the need actually arises.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only success cases I have seen have been under medical supervision and taking vitamin injections. Don't look for medical advice on the internet :P

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:36 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jorgeu wrote:
The only success cases I have seen have been under medical supervision and taking vitamin injections. Don't look for medical advice on the internet :P

Ah, ok. I wasn't asking for medical advice Jorge. :bigsmile: But thank you for concern.

The human body is designed for occasional fasting. I have done so much reading and studying on it, so forgive my popping this out without some educational information.

If you think fasting is bad for you, look around and see what complete freedom to eat everything in sight will do to you.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Water fasting...
Looking for other people's experience and methods for success.
I had to bail after 59.5 hours yesterday, but didn't cave in from hunger at all. I have a torn labrum and rotator cuff ( like viewtopic.php?f=33&t=60114 ) and had a fairly strenuous job that took about 5 hours yesterday. Well, I don't like the idea of dropping a prescription painkiller at all, but even less on an empty stomach and the shoulder does keep me awake some nights. After yesterday's labor I knew that I wasn't going to sleep unless damped the fire in the shoulder down a bit, so had turkey leftovers. Nummers.

Does anyone else occasionally go on a water fast? I don't do it for weight loss, but just an occasional emptying of the system. Honestly, I kind of enjoy the privation and knowledge that a week without food won't hurt you if the need actually arises.

I ended up in the ER because the wife was worried about how I was acting.
After spending half my life waiting I finally got to see the Dr.
Conversation was kinda funny: Do you drink water? Yep. How much? A lot.
Do you like salt? Yep.
Well this is coming from a Dr. so it might sound funny. EAT MORE SALT!
???
You are low on sodium. You have completely flush yourself out.
No more water, I want you to drink Gatorade, Powerade, etc.
Something to think about.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yep people in Africa often have plenty of water and die because their body cannot absorb water without salt and sugar.....you need balance

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In would like to point out that beer is mostly water

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

AR15L wrote:
After spending half my life waiting I finally got to see the Dr.
Conversation was kinda funny: Do you drink water? Yep. How much? A lot.
Do you like salt? Yep.
Well this is coming from a Dr. so it might sound funny. EAT MORE SALT!
???
You are low on sodium. You have completely flush yourself out.
No more water, I want you to drink Gatorade, Powerade, etc.
Something to think about.

Need to monitor your sodium, chloride, and potassium levels if drinking a lot of fluids....you'll piss a lot of it out.
Electrolyte imbalance can cause a heart attack.
If you have insurance, going down for weekly electrolyte check wouldn't cost much at all.

Saw this infomercial on health through drinking a ton of fruit juice. Lost 10 pounds of water weight.
I spent 3 days in the ICU on IV fluids because my sodium and chloride levels were out of wack.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
In would like to point out that beer is mostly water

point noted...... :thumbsup2:

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fasting, especially for older folks is recommended for many reasons. I did it last year over the summer on the weekends and lost nearly 20 pounds. Often I will supplement with black coffee. Discipline is key. Immense results if you try. Food tastes so much better Monday morning and portion sizes decrease. What's not to like?

Added:
Zero medical supervision, zero vitamin injects. You are your own doctor. Screw allopathic doctors.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:28 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

AR15L wrote:

Ah, you listen to her but you won't listen to us! :bigsmile:

jackass wrote:
Fasting, especially for older folks is recommended for many reasons. I did it last year over the summer on the weekends and lost nearly 20 pounds. Often I will supplement with black coffee. Discipline is key. Immense results if you try. Food tastes so much better Monday morning and portion sizes decrease. What's not to like?

My supplement has only been unsweetened teas.
I've done 7 days a few times, most are about 4 or 5 days.
Benefits for me:
I beat the hunger.
The whole body feels better, like it just went through a cleansing.
Mental clarity seems to improve. Maybe it's just the removal of distractions, not sure.

jackass wrote:
Added:
Zero medical supervision, zero vitamin injects. You are your own doctor. Screw allopathic doctors.

Same. I read up on it from several sources then did it.
I am surprised by all the medical concern. People have been going hungry for days or longer at a time since there have been humans.
Are there risks? Sure.
You might choke on a chicken bone too. I hear that can be deadly.

I had to look up allopathic.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fasting is excellent for the body. Good for you PMB.
I've been reading a lot lately about something called restrictive eating. This is simply just eating only between certain hours of the day. I like to eat between the hours of 10am-6pm only. No later, and no earlier.. This can not only help with weight loss, but possibly diabetes also. Some people even cut their window of eating time down to four hours per day. I'm liking the way it makes me feel, and it only took a week to get used to eating this way. AND btw, I've always been a big breakfast proponent, but I wanted to try something different to mix things up.

Divided we fall.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:20 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I've read about the restrictive eating but not tried it.
How does it make you feel? I can see a benefit to it just by the description, because I've particularly noticed how poorly I feel if I eat too late in the evening. I'd rather go to bed on an empty stomach than eat a big meal past 6pm for sure.
I've also thought about a single meal a day... Have only tried that involuntarily several times. haha

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm on the opposite side. DRINK WATER!

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm trying out the "carnivore" diet
2 weeks in, pants are already starting to feel a little lose in the waist
Thanksgiving sucked! all that yummy food and all i could it is turkey
meat, cheese, eggs, mayo. that's about it. no carbs, no sugar, no vegetables. water and unsweetened sparkling (Costco) water. coffee, black.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Low/no carb 50+ lb lighter since last year.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next