Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:30 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 142  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 

I'm going to remain the purist and say that the meat's own juices are the best option --- there is SOOOO much flavor in that liquid - smoke-rub-meat ---- I like to keep it more 'real'. I do regret not adding ~1/4 cup of apple juice when I wrapped it, but not alot. And I did think about sprinkling in some more rub after pulling, but again, I don't think it was needed --- I rubbed these butts up pretty good.

I find that by separating the juice and putting it in the fridge works really well for me --- I can pick how much fat goes back into the meat.... its really easy to just scrape off some of the fat layer off the top of the congealed juice with a spoon.
Attachment:
20211003_182300.jpg

Hopefully its just enough to coat all the meat and not pool.... its always a guessing game. Like I've said, it seems like between an 1/8 and 1/4 cup is the 'right' amount for me.

Looking forward to making up some pork enchiladas as soon as I finish off the last of the chicken ones I made last week --- had two of them last night and they are tasty as hell! Waffles incoming too....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment:
bbq.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I'm going to remain the purist and say that the meat's own juices are the best option --- there is SOOOO much flavor in that liquid - smoke-rub-meat ---- I like to keep it more 'real'. I do regret not adding ~1/4 cup of apple juice when I wrapped it, but not alot. And I did think about sprinkling in some more rub after pulling, but again, I don't think it was needed --- I rubbed these butts up pretty good.

I find that by separating the juice and putting it in the fridge works really well for me --- I can pick how much fat goes back into the meat.... its really easy to just scrape off some of the fat layer off the top of the congealed juice with a spoon.
Attachment:
20211003_182300.jpg

Hopefully its just enough to coat all the meat and not pool.... its always a guessing game. Like I've said, it seems like between an 1/8 and 1/4 cup is the 'right' amount for me.

Looking forward to making up some pork enchiladas as soon as I finish off the last of the chicken ones I made last week --- had two of them last night and they are tasty as hell! Waffles incoming too....

You can pickup a fat separator too, they work well. I use one when doing burnt ends from the point of a whole packer brisket.

Here's a link to some pretty good one's. I prefer the "Good grips" style on the right.

https://www.oxo.com/catalogsearch/resul ... +separator

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 pm

Yeah-ya-ya..... I know.....
I pretty certain I could easily make an effective fat separator out of an old 1 pint salsa tub by cutting/drilling two hole if needed.... hell, even a turkey baster from the dollar store would do for me. My goal has been NOT to amass more gadgets that get used very infrequently.... My neighbors are realizing this too --- I snagged a really nice mandolin slicer from one last week... not that I needed it, but thinking if I have it, I 'might' use it.... probably not - it will probably sit with the stick blender that I bought 3 years ago and haven't used in 2.....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JMB inspired me. :bigsmile:
I threw the Pork shoulder in the Camp Chev at midnight, didn't open the Lid again until 10:00 am when I added a Tri tip.
It's at 192 internal, when it hits 200 I'll start probing to make sure it's all tender.
Made some sweet slaw for the Sammie's, it's been awhile since we had pulled pork.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pulled and Sammie's have been eaten!

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Starting a fatty pork shoulder in the EZ bake this am

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:10 am

Nice --- whats the smoke flavor?

Since it was so nice yesterday, I finally got around to giving the WSM and the grills a deep scrubbing... amazing how much fat and drippings build up when going low and slow.... My grill brush was 'once again' loaded with grease and bbq sauce after cleaning all three --- usually I use a torch to burn off all that grease because..... well..... thats just what I have always done, thinking it was the easiest way to do it.... For some reason, I decided to get a coffee can of hot water with dish soap in it and let it soak..... Damn --- the brush has NEVER been that clean. Don't know why I haven't done that til now.... :doh1: Sometimes --- you just feel bad about how stupid you have been.... Was feeling pretty bad when I realized that I haven't run the gas grill in over a month -- four weekends back to back running the WSM!!! Its been a good month.....

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Packer Brisket overnight in the Camp Chef with Oak pellets. Started at Midnight, it's about 203 degree's now, time to probe for tenderness.
:thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:41 am

I was going to mention too.... I was talking with sis a couple of days ago - I finally convinced my BiL to get away from the Traeger Signature blend - he went out and got a bag of cherry and maple (even tho I told them to get some plum ?!?!?!) - said he may as well pick up some pecan too..... Well, he got a bag of pecan and went ahead and smoked up a brisket with just pecan... Sis said it was the BEST one he has ever done. He said he didn't do anything differently from others other than going lighter on the rub for some reason.

Too bad you didn't get into your oak/pecan bag John.... but I'm sure the oak worked out really good too.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smoker cruising along. Very difficult start with a couple rumaways. Thank God meat was not on board yet.

Mainly operator lack of maintaining combined with super high ASH content Apple mash pellets and pellets with a high MOISTURE content. Had to remove and basically burn through a constipated bolus in the auger and burn box complicated by an over full ash well in the burn box.

Need to vacuum that pig way more often.

Straight Alder. For some reason nothing else smells good to me right now.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:15 am

Hmmm..... alder on pork..... I'm going to have to try that.
Let us know how that turns out!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:

Will do.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I was going to mention too.... I was talking with sis a couple of days ago - I finally convinced my BiL to get away from the Traeger Signature blend - he went out and got a bag of cherry and maple (even tho I told them to get some plum ?!?!?!) - said he may as well pick up some pecan too..... Well, he got a bag of pecan and went ahead and smoked up a brisket with just pecan... Sis said it was the BEST one he has ever done. He said he didn't do anything differently from others other than going lighter on the rub for some reason.

Too bad you didn't get into your oak/pecan bag John.... but I'm sure the oak worked out really good too.

I'll get to the Pecan blend sometime, but it turned out good.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:

I have used Alder on Pork many times, i really like it. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 142  Next