Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 138  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Got some thighs going right now with a plum/maple mix..... The smoke smells WONDERFUL!!!!
Will report back...

I had never done Yard bird thighs until last Week. Granted, they were on the Blackstone, but they were good.
Might have to smoke some and see how that works out.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Got some thighs going right now with a plum/maple mix..... The smoke smells WONDERFUL!!!!
Will report back...

Got some fava beans and a nice Chianti to go with those thighs? :ROFLMAO:

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isildur wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
Will report back...

Got some fava beans and a nice Chianti to go with those thighs? :ROFLMAO:

I tried that, the Wife got pissed when i put beans on her thighs.

I didn't care though, i was drinking a nice Chianti.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:51 pm

No beans or chianti.... but cornbread and Keystones!

Attachment:
20221008_192155.jpg

Yeah - the plum and maple turned out really nice! I thought for sure I was going to tag in on a big one and that small one.... but after having one big one, I was done! Could have and wanted to eat the small one, but it just wasn't needed. Even after letting them rest for ~15 minutes, I had to let my piece rest another 10+ before it was cool enough to eat... it was still pretty hot.... I think that really changes the flavor profile. I understand now why Pablo likes his smoked chicken cold. Can't wait for leftovers now.... thats the real test.

Once you figure out how to smoke up the chicken right John --- you'll ask yourself why you haven't been doing it sooner.....

Looking forward to the next one with plum and pecan!

I will say I 'jalopenoed' myself again cutting up peppers for the cornbread.... dammit, I didn't 'think' the peppers were that hot and I 'thought' I washed my hands good enough....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:20 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I will say I 'jalopenoed' myself again cutting up peppers for the cornbread.... dammit, I didn't 'think' the peppers were that hot and I 'thought' I washed my hands good enough....

Yup, I keep re-learning this lesson myself, nearly every damned time . . . gotta just put the damned gloves on, I have a whole box of them!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
No beans or chianti.... but cornbread and Keystones!.

Once you figure out how to smoke up the chicken right John --- you'll ask yourself why you haven't been doing it sooner.....

Oh, I know how to smoke chicken, not much to it really. I just generally don't bother with it.
The thighs have me interested though, never smoked those.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light cold smoke carne asada then grill. Da bomb.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:48 am

So --- I ended up scoring 3 half gallons of apple juice from SW for a TOTAL of 73 cents :thumbsup2: Had to find something to do with it....

I've always been wanting to try this brine on chicken ---
https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/whol ... ple-brine/
And since chickens are on sale at QFC ---- I'm taking my first stab at brining chickens!

So I was trying to convert down to the amount I needed to brine a chicken in a bag (technically, its somewhere between a marinade and a brine.... I think)...... Being that the recipe calls for 1/2 cup (table) salt in 5 quarts (20 cups), I guesstimated that would be ~2 tablespoons in 6 cups.... and instead of strait salt, I used the Memphis rub that I always use (its mostly salt). 5 cups apple juice + 1/4 cup OJ + 3/4 cup water. I didn't add anymore sugar since I went heavy with the apple juice..... hoping that wasn't a mistake..... I'm just winging it here - figured I'd keep it kinda simple and adjust on the next ones. 3 cups on each bird in a bag - brine for 24+ hours and dry ~18 hours --- smoking on Saturday....

Will report back later...

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:06 am

Well.... those apple juice brined chickens turned out REALLY good!!!
Attachment:
20221029_174342.jpg

The color of the skin was just fantastic....
Attachment:
20221029_192548.jpg

You could really taste the apple juice in the meat along with a good hint of the rub seasoning --- I think next time I will be more aggressive with the rub content in the brine. The skin was the best flavor wise and texture wise so far - cooked and 'kinda' crisp, but still a bit tuff. My neighbors said it was by far the tastiest bird yet --- I've finally got the failed 'pineapple chicken' monkey off my back! I'm looking forward to leftovers to see what the real flavor is like --- I was pretty smoke (and beer) saturated by the time they were done....

I always said I'd NEVER brine a chicken.... but using apple juice really makes it worth it. It did take quite a bit more effort --- lots of spillages to wipe up and handling raw chicken --- but I think the end results are worth it. I will definitely be apple brining thighs for the gasser in the future - that should be EASY.

I found it odd that one chicken temped out at the expected time (~3.5 hours) --- I checked the other one and it was still 15 degrees behind?!?!?! It took that one another 45 minutes and I still pulled it at 160 IT --- I figured it was more than safe and it was getting dark out.... They were within 0.15# of each other.... My only thoughts are that one didn't drain as well as the other (maybe?) or that I stuffed the onions in differently, but more than likely that I didn't open the neck hole up on that one (most likely). I'm thinking that on the next ones I'll remove the spines (but not butterfly) them.... thinking that will make brining easier and less messy (damn emptying and filling the cavity every time you flip them) and make them cook a LOT faster --- the last chicken I did was half assed spatchcocked and ended up cooking in less than 2 hours....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, great color on that chicken. thumbsup

Fun experiment!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the Birch Barrel....the Mad Scientist has a video on it

Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:26 pm

codfather wrote:
Check out the Birch Barrel....the Mad Scientist has a video on it

Seems kinda gimmickry.... Jeremy seems to be able to run it OK, but Chuds BBQ did a review and hw was kinda struggling with it - locking and unlocking the cooking grate from the lid. Basically a covered Santa Maria cooker/grill.

Have you see the previews/ads for the RIPT wood 'chip' grills? Will be interesting to see the reviews come out on it and if there is really a difference between chips and pellets.... I don't see chips being any easier to use or buy....

https://riptgrills.com/pages/ript-lande ... 9dK3HaD7OA

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:33 am

Put together some meatloaf on Friday - let it meld overnight and smoked it yesterday.... Damn good!!!
I kept it pretty simple this time --- browned onions, red pepper, two older Roma tomatoes that had to be used up and some stale Ritz and Town House crackers that I toasted to golden brown --- it was a 'use up shit' meatloaf. Kept the seasoning simple too --- mixed a good dose of woosty into the meat and let it set for ~hour or so before mixing in other ingredients - garlic powder on the tomatoes - lots of cracked black pepper and a heavy squirt of dijon mustard..... and ~1/4 cup of bacon pan scrapings that I mixed into the browned onions/peppers. Glazed with a mix of Ketchili (sweet chili ketchup) and mongolian bbq sauce... Smoked in plum and cherry....

Such a good flavor profile -- I was very pleased! I've been craving meatloaf for awhile now.
I was annoyed that I was too lazy to open the can of black olives and chop them to put in --- I was worried about 'bulking' it up too much, but I always forget how much the onions shrink when you brown them.... I could have added ~25-40% more of everything....

Some instant mashed potatoes and a can of corn and it was such a heartwarming satisfying meal.... I'll have another tonight and then its on to sammys!!!

Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meatloaf Sammie's are the best!

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm getting more and more comfortable with my two Recteq pellet grills, the RT-680 and the Bullseye, and I'm really enjoying them.

Safeway had bone-in pork butts on sale for $1.89/lb this past week, so I bought two of them as an impulse buy. Yesterday I turned one of them into breakfast sausage (more below) and put the links in the fridge to dry, and last night I put the other pork butt into the RT-680 (which has a big hopper and wifi control and monitoring) to smoke overnight.

This morning I semi-wrapped the pork butt (foil boat method) and moved it to the Bullseye, so I could use the RT-680 for lower-temp smoking of the sausage links.

Here's the finished pork butt, which I pulled, mixed with a tangy sauce, and immediately vac-sealed and froze:

And here's the sausage, which uses a commercial spice mix (PS Seasonings #117) but then has pieces of scrambled egg, bacon, and high-temp pepperjack cheese embedded into it:

And yeah, it was supposed to have diced hash browns too, but I forgot to add them. :facepalm2:

The basic concept comes from this Chuds BBQ video, though I made a few alterations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr9aIvqWlaM

And man, that sausage is DELICIOUS! I like the overall sausage flavor, and getting pieces of melted cheese is a real treat. The bacon is good, but there's not much of it -- I'd add more next time. The egg is fine, but it doesn't really add anything to the overall experience, it's a bit too neutral-flavored I think. Next time, maybe I'd skip the egg, give the diced hash browns a try, increase the bacon, and keep the high cheese content!

And since I was on a roll, I also made a batch of Texas Red Chili, generally following the Meat Church recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePlqYj7e46A

Yeah, the pan's a mess, but here it is:

This is the first time I've made a pure chili like that, no tomatoes, no beans, no other veggies . . . just pureed chili peppers, some spices and meat! I'm not in love with it, but it's good and I'm glad that I made it.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 138  Next