Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 137  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love Cheese. Smoked Gouda that is well aged is my favorite.I really need to try this sometime, but i'm afraid it would be a let down.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice steve, did you paper towel them off before vacpack? mine always "sweat" I've smoked mine near 8hrs gets in a bit more

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmica wrote:
nice steve, did you paper towel them off before vacpack? mine always "sweat" I've smoked mine near 8hrs gets in a bit more

I did.

I'm not sure why, but the Gouda had a pretty good sweat on it. The cheddar not so much, but they all got toweled off.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
cmica wrote:

I did.

I'm not sure why, but the Gouda had a pretty good sweat on it. The cheddar not so much, but they all got toweled off.

:thumbsup2:

its the fat content when its made, hard to explain think of it like milk, you keep cooking it skim it then more cooking skim it the harder it gets. gouda is like the beginning stage chedder will be like the near last.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
I've seen a lot of recipes that say to wrap in parchment and hold in fridge for 8hrs before sealing.

It's time to get my cheese going if I plan to gift some for the holidays this year!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

todd1803 wrote:
cmica wrote:
I've seen a lot of recipes that say to wrap in parchment and hold in fridge for 8hrs before sealing.

It's time to get my cheese going if I plan to gift some for the holidays this year!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Yes. Parchment so cheese never touches plastic.

Wrap and age in parchment for a day or more, actually. A little more won't hurt, but a cheese will start to dry up too much. Basically you want the harsh volatile compounds to go away.

Then I remove and toss the first wrap, re-wrap in parchment, put in a large baggies and age for 3 weeks minimum. It will taste OK at 2 weeks, but much much better 3+ weeks IF you can wait that long. It's tough!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:59 am

2.5 hours in --- IT@ 140.....
Attachment:
20211125_135323.jpg

Attachment:
20211125_135334.jpg

The skin has crisped up NICELY running 275-300 the whole time! I was planning on basting with butter to get it crispy, but I don't think I'll need it. Actually more worried that its drying out right now.... decided to spritz it with some apple juice... :bigsmile:

Pretty happy so far --- this is my FIRST whole turkey ever! Hoping it tastes as good as it looks....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks delicious. Did you brine?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm

No.... it said on the bag 'contains 9.5% broth' so I didn't think it was needed.
Put some fresh rosemary, orange peels and sliced ginger in it tho! Coated it with rub last night and left uncovered.
I just went out and basted it with butter just for the hell of it.... The skin is sooooo crispy already, but worried it will be tuff.....

I really don't know what I'm doing.... :wink05: but I'm faking my way thru it :bigsmile:

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should be tasty. Wife guarding kitchen with a huge knife. Starving. No one here yet.

Me and dog gonna hit the garage fridge.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:46 pm

Dammit.... this turkey hit a stall right at 145.... its taken it forever to get to 155 now.
My coals were going cold - temp was dropping to ~230ish --- I was debating whether to bring it in and finish it in the oven, but decided to fire up some more coals to get some heat --- running a solid 300 now for a while and the temp is still barely moving.... Wondering about the probe placement - moved it several times with no change ---- it has a pop up in there that hasn't popped so I'm thinking I just have to let it run. Its now at 4:45 cook time and still at 156.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 pm

FINALLY done after SIX hours..... I swear this damn bird stalled on me..... it hit 140 really quick and then took forevvvveeer to get to 165. Its resting now....

Attachment:
20211125_172051.jpg

Attachment:
20211125_172104.jpg

Attachment:
20211125_172120.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, so may be late, but I was screaming at that terrible midday football game. Anyway, I'm not saying I'm the end all, be all at tuekey smoking, buuuuuut its my best selling item.
Brine is fine. Not necessary. However, without a spit, I would recommend a brine. Regardless, the #1 factor for a bird is injecting. I just go with butter and worsty sauce. Like 3-1. I Normally smoke like 26# birds, but I go about 1# of butter per bird. On a spit makes a huge difference, cooks more evenly, and faster once the spit heats up.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Ok, so may be late, but I was screaming at that terrible midday football game. Anyway, I'm not saying I'm the end all, be all at tuekey smoking, buuuuuut its my best selling item.
Brine is fine. Not necessary. However, without a spit, I would recommend a brine. Regardless, the #1 factor for a bird is injecting. I just go with butter and worsty sauce. Like 3-1. I Normally smoke like 26# birds, but I go about 1# of butter per bird. On a spit makes a huge difference, cooks more evenly, and faster once the spit heats up.

What kind of spit set-up do you use?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spatchcock is the way to go with a seasoned butter rub under the skin

Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 137  Next