Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 142  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 

I have to say --- for my first whole turkey - I am in no way disappointed... well kinda --- my neighbor brought me up some pumpkin crunch cake for desert --- she looked at the turkey on the smoker and said 'WOW that looks fantastic and it smells wonderful' ---- I hadn't been able to smell anything since 11am..... It wasn't until I pulled the turkey and brought it in to rest that I was smelling the rosemary and ginger! I broke it down immediately after resting - snacking along the way - I could have just ate off the carcass.... but since I wasted time cooking other things, I made a full meal and now I'm stuffed beyond belief....

Turkey turned out REALLY good ---- no issues whatsoever with dryness - juicy as hell! Tasty, but I'll hold judgement til tomorrow when my sense of smell and taste is back to full values.

I am VERY pleased :thumbsup2:

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should be killer with those flavors! :thumbsup2:

That happens to me a lot.

I’ll cook a huge meal for the wife’s family at different times, but by the time I’m done, it tastes ‘pretty good’.

The next day, I’m like wow, this is really good.

Wife says, “we tried to tell you”...

:ROFLMAO:

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:09 pm

It happens to me ALL the time....
I took the garbage out and brought the smoker in and when I got back into the kitchen it was like ---- holy hell it smells good in here!

My only complaint so far is that the skin was really crisp and hard out on the smoker --- brought it in and tented it to rest --- the skin was still 'kinda' crispy afterwards, but was really kinda tough - not bite thru. Figured that really doesn't matter too much since its only crisp once.

Can't wait for more leftovers! I'm thinking I'll even gnaw on the legs and wings - I was thinking since it was free, those would be for the cat and the puppy nextdoor, but I get first dibs now. I'm not used to having this much turkey around.....

And -- yes, that was a full on plum smoke! I kept tossing little chunks on whenever I didn't see smoke --- I was worried it was going to be oversmoked, but since I wasn't offended, I should have thrown more on.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on how you reheat...

If you nuke it, the moisture left in the meat will steam the skin, and lead to wimpy skin & moisture loss.

Reheating in a pan, oven, or air fryer, will do less damage to the skin.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I have to say --- for my first whole turkey - I am in no way disappointed... well kinda --- my neighbor brought me up some pumpkin crunch cake for desert --- she looked at the turkey on the smoker and said 'WOW that looks fantastic and it smells wonderful' ---- I hadn't been able to smell anything since 11am..... It wasn't until I pulled the turkey and brought it in to rest that I was smelling the rosemary and ginger! I broke it down immediately after resting - snacking along the way - I could have just ate off the carcass.... but since I wasted time cooking other things, I made a full meal and now I'm stuffed beyond belief....

Turkey turned out REALLY good ---- no issues whatsoever with dryness - juicy as hell! Tasty, but I'll hold judgement til tomorrow when my sense of smell and taste is back to full values.

I am VERY pleased :thumbsup2:

I'm glad it turned out well for you! :thumbsup2:

I will have to try that sometime, i have never done one. Now save some scraps for the Cat and the Big Dog. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:05 pm

NWGunner wrote:

If you nuke it, the moisture left in the meat will steam the skin, and lead to wimpy skin & moisture loss.

I've gotten this down pat --- nuke it on low - setting 1 or 2 - til hot and then into the toaster oven @~325 for 5-15 mins ---- perfect! But never as good as fresh.

I've always found that smoked stuff always tastes better about 3-4 days later --- flavor seems to 'develop and evolve' - I'm always planning on leftovers and that is where I concentrate my critic over off the grates....

YES I have smoking OCD.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dig your OCD :thumbsup2:

Might I recommend just letting it get to room temp, instead of nuking?

Might save some moisture loss since your already going to heat it another way.

Just a thought...

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:27 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Smoked giant turkey legs on the kettle today. Brined overnight, cooked around 250-275. Came out alright. I had the biggest one and a few parts were a bit tough. Family liked it though. And yes, I like pepper....

Attachment:
20211125_141644.jpg

Attachment:
20211125_173403.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those look great!

If you like pepper, try some Aleppo.

Layered & slightly fruitier :thumbsup2:

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Probably sacrilege to say this here, but I bought a couple of the Costco ready to cook dinners for today. Our big family meal is tomorrow with my family, today was just 6 adults and 2 kids so it didn’t make sense to go all out.

$50 for two of the dinners that include a turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans and gravy. I made a fruit salad, dinner rolls, and brown sugar sweet potatoes to go with it.

Honestly, it was damned good! The turkey was moist and flavorful and their stuffing is really good if you bake it for another 30 minutes to dry out the extra turkey juices. Don’t think we could have put all that together for the price they sell it for.

Wish I had pics. It was quite the dinner and we have plenty of leftovers. For $70 all in to feed 6 adults a big meal it’s a hell of a time and money saver if you’re having a small gathering.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

I've gotten this down pat --- nuke it on low - setting 1 or 2 - til hot and then into the toaster oven @~325 for 5-15 mins ---- perfect! But never as good as fresh.

I've always found that smoked stuff always tastes better about 3-4 days later --- flavor seems to 'develop and evolve' - I'm always planning on leftovers and that is where I concentrate my critic over off the grates....

YES I have smoking OCD.

When you nuke it put a wet paper towel over the turkey...that will help keep the moisture in

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Probably sacrilege to say this here, but I bought a couple of the Costco ready to cook dinners for today. Our big family meal is tomorrow with my family, today was just 6 adults and 2 kids so it didn’t make sense to go all out.

$50 for two of the dinners that include a turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans and gravy. I made a fruit salad, dinner rolls, and brown sugar sweet potatoes to go with it.

Honestly, it was damned good! The turkey was moist and flavorful and their stuffing is really good if you bake it for another 30 minutes to dry out the extra turkey juices. Don’t think we could have put all that together for the price they sell it for.

Wish I had pics. It was quite the dinner and we have plenty of leftovers. For $70 all in to feed 6 adults a big meal it’s a hell of a time and money saver if you’re having a small gathering.

Sometimes, you just want the flavors of T-day! Especially if you have another meal coming! :thumbsup2:

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

NWGunner wrote:
Those look great!

Never heard of that pepper... Will have to find some....

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Those look great!

Never heard of that pepper... Will have to find some....

You don’t need me to Google for you for info about it, you can obviously do that for yourself.

I tend to get mine from World Spice, in Seattle. The wife & I used to make an afternoon of it...going down, having lunch somewhere, then stopping by on the way out of town.

Then, parking became a clusterf@ck, and now Seattle, is a clusterf@ck, so, I order it online :ROFLMAO:

You can get it there, or Penzey’s out of Chicago, or Kalustyan’s out of New York.

I tend to go with World Spice, though it often ships from their outpost in Montana. It’s always fresh & pretty good.

And it’s not hoity toity...it’s like $3 an ounce.

Sign up for World Spice’s emails, and you’ll get 10% off, or free shipping, or something, on your first order.

I get Sumac, Turmeric, Aleppo, and a number of other spices from them.

Link to Aleppo:

https://www.worldspice.com/spices/aleppo-pepper

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:04 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

NWGunner wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

Sometimes, you just want the flavors of T-day! Especially if you have another meal coming! :thumbsup2:

And two insane little boys, and family coming in from out of town, and a business to run in the mean time.

Thanks for the recognition brother! Hope you and yours had a great day today!

Just hoping to give an easy way out to other parents feeling the stress of putting on a family function whilst having so many other irons in the fire.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 142  Next