Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:55 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14052
Real Name: John
golddigger14s wrote:
Just ordered a basic smoker because of you guys. $187 with free delivery.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-PB-2- ... 1000565747



Electric? :facepalm2: Cancel the order and get a pellet or Charcoal or wood burning one Chuck.
You will thank me later.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fornetto-Basso ... 1000714230

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 am
Profile
User avatar

Location: Port Orchard
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020
Posts: 1029
MadPick wrote:
Gman wrote:
I cover mine in heavy duty foil. When it gets gnarly, I'll take it out and vacuum the ash, peel off the foil, and put a new sheet on it.

I did a brisket on Wed. and a pork butt on Thurs., so that magical day to change the foil is tomorrow.


I don't wait for it to get gnarly anymore. Too much chance of a fire, and too much ash floating around. If I do any significant cook, the ash gets vacuumed out and the drip pan gets scraped (I don't bother to foil anymore).

That kinda' takes the convenience out of it, doesn't it? :wink05:

I actually sold my Traeger a week ago. Didn't want to have to move it to WA. It has been great for our dry climate and I've never had a problem with it.

I'll be reading up closely once we get a place up there in WA. Will probably go stainless and want the ability to easily dump and change pellets and having the ability to sear will be on the list of wants.

_________________
Liberals never met a slippery slope they didn't grease.


Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:41 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Bothell
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015
Posts: 1374
Not that I have anything against electric smokers.... but I think you'll regret an electric smoker sooner rather than later... I'm all about the WSM --- mainly because I got it for basically free in a trade -- but I find myself wanting an offset now.... for no real reason other than I want one. The urge for a pellet smoker isn't that strong --- a smoke tube on the gas grill works pretty damn good IMO --- I think I get better results than most do on $500+ auger smokers and the best part is its easy to change-mix-blend wood flavors for every cook. Some day I will be able to justify an auger or offset..... but no time soon.

_________________
Plan B is actually repeating Plan A.... it just involves much more alcohol.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?


Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:47 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14052
Real Name: John
Gman wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Gman wrote:
I cover mine in heavy duty foil. When it gets gnarly, I'll take it out and vacuum the ash, peel off the foil, and put a new sheet on it.

I did a brisket on Wed. and a pork butt on Thurs., so that magical day to change the foil is tomorrow.


I don't wait for it to get gnarly anymore. Too much chance of a fire, and too much ash floating around. If I do any significant cook, the ash gets vacuumed out and the drip pan gets scraped (I don't bother to foil anymore).

That kinda' takes the convenience out of it, doesn't it? :wink05:

I actually sold my Traeger a week ago. Didn't want to have to move it to WA. It has been great for our dry climate and I've never had a problem with it.

I'll be reading up closely once we get a place up there in WA. Will probably go stainless and want the ability to easily dump and change pellets and having the ability to sear will be on the list of wants.


If you want the things you mentioned, and you want a true Sear, this is what you want.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-wifi- ... gKP3vD_BwE

:thumbsup2:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:47 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14052
Real Name: John
JohnMBrowning wrote:
Not that I have anything against electric smokers.... but I think you'll regret an electric smoker sooner rather than later... I'm all about the WSM --- mainly because I got it for basically free in a trade -- but I find myself wanting an offset now.... for no real reason other than I want one. The urge for a pellet smoker isn't that strong --- a smoke tube on the gas grill works pretty damn good IMO --- I think I get better results than most do on $500+ auger smokers and the best part is its easy to change-mix-blend wood flavors for every cook. Some day I will be able to justify an auger or offset..... but no time soon.



WSM's work great, as does most Vertical Charcoal smokers. :thumbsup2:
As far as changing pellet flavors with ease? Camp Chef and a couple others now have a hopper dump to make that an easy task.
As far as an offset? Unless it's a stick burner you probably wouldn't see much difference from what you get with the WSM or even a Weber Kettle running offset.

Nothing can beat burning real Wood, but the Pellet grills run a very close 2nd and the convenience of having basically an Oven you can set and forget is amazing.

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Port Orchard
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020
Posts: 1029
usrifle wrote:
Gman wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Gman wrote:
I cover mine in heavy duty foil. When it gets gnarly, I'll take it out and vacuum the ash, peel off the foil, and put a new sheet on it.

I did a brisket on Wed. and a pork butt on Thurs., so that magical day to change the foil is tomorrow.


I don't wait for it to get gnarly anymore. Too much chance of a fire, and too much ash floating around. If I do any significant cook, the ash gets vacuumed out and the drip pan gets scraped (I don't bother to foil anymore).

That kinda' takes the convenience out of it, doesn't it? :wink05:

I actually sold my Traeger a week ago. Didn't want to have to move it to WA. It has been great for our dry climate and I've never had a problem with it.

I'll be reading up closely once we get a place up there in WA. Will probably go stainless and want the ability to easily dump and change pellets and having the ability to sear will be on the list of wants.


If you want the things you mentioned, and you want a true Sear, this is what you want.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-wifi- ... gKP3vD_BwE

:thumbsup2:


How'd you know that's the way I've already been leaning? I'll do more research once I figure out how much space I have. I research the crap out of purchases. Whenever my wife wants something, she puts me on task to do the research. :bigsmile:

_________________
Liberals never met a slippery slope they didn't grease.


Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Rainier
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014
Posts: 911
Real Name: Darryl
I second the Campchef but I would go 36".....better to have extra space then not enough ( I have the 36" with sear box)


Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:09 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14052
Real Name: John
codfather wrote:
I second the Campchef but I would go 36".....better to have extra space then not enough ( I have the 36" with sear box)


Yeah, i have the 24" and haven't run short of space but i'm not Cooking for large groups either. If someone does, that 36" would be the way to go. :thumbsup2:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:57 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Burlington
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012
Posts: 4469
Real Name: Kyle
usrifle wrote:
codfather wrote:
I second the Campchef but I would go 36".....better to have extra space then not enough ( I have the 36" with sear box)


Yeah, i have the 24" and haven't run short of space but i'm not Cooking for large groups either. If someone does, that 36" would be the way to go. :thumbsup2:


Just waiting for them to get back in stock! The 36" of course, nkt that I'm compensatong for anything.....


Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:00 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14052
Real Name: John
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
codfather wrote:
I second the Campchef but I would go 36".....better to have extra space then not enough ( I have the 36" with sear box)


Yeah, i have the 24" and haven't run short of space but i'm not Cooking for large groups either. If someone does, that 36" would be the way to go. :thumbsup2:


Just waiting for them to get back in stock! The 36" of course, nkt that I'm compensatong for anything.....


https://www.campchef.com/wood-pellet-gr ... r-box.html

Look under the Model number Kyle, it says "In stock" :bigsmile:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:50 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Faxon, OK
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011
Posts: 15204
Real Name: Chuck
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Just ordered a basic smoker because of you guys. $187 with free delivery.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-PB-2- ... 1000565747



Electric? :facepalm2: Cancel the order and get a pellet or Charcoal or wood burning one Chuck.
You will thank me later.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fornetto-Basso ... 1000714230

I knew when I posted this I would get some flak. But for the price and ease of use for the amount of times I would use it, it would work for me. Maybe down the read I will upgrade. :bigsmile:

_________________
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
"Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux


Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:08 am
Profile
User avatar

Location: Bothell
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015
Posts: 1374
Good for you for being realistic about your expectations --- you have to start somewhere and that definitely is an easy and cost effective place to start. I know I probably would not be a 'smoker' if I hadn't picked up that WSM last march.... it was a life changing event! Even tho the WSM does take some tending, I look forward to using it each and every time - thats a big part of the enjoyment factor for me. I just picked up another 9# pork butt yesterday and can't wait to transform it into tasty meat!
Be sure to explore the flavors of the different woods - don't buy a 'mix' bag to start - I would suggest starting with maple, cherry and pecan -- each one by itself is nice, and every combo of the three is better. Apple is .... ok - hickory is kinda strong and easily overdone - I actually prefer oak over hickory - much more mellow and pleasant and mixes well with everything. Go on a chicken leg binge and smoke up 5-8 at a time with each flavor and see what you like --- its a fun and eye opening experience!

_________________
Plan B is actually repeating Plan A.... it just involves much more alcohol.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?


Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:34 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14052
Real Name: John
golddigger14s wrote:
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Just ordered a basic smoker because of you guys. $187 with free delivery.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-PB-2- ... 1000565747



Electric? :facepalm2: Cancel the order and get a pellet or Charcoal or wood burning one Chuck.
You will thank me later.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fornetto-Basso ... 1000714230

I knew when I posted this I would get some flak. But for the price and ease of use for the amount of times I would use it, it would work for me. Maybe down the read I will upgrade. :bigsmile:


You would save Money over that Electric one and this will do better as a Smoker. Plus, you will also have a Charcoal Grill you would use more often. :thumbsup2:
Seriously Chuck, these things work great for offset smoking. I would never be without one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Original ... ll/3055249

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:59 am
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Faxon, OK
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011
Posts: 15204
Real Name: Chuck
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Just ordered a basic smoker because of you guys. $187 with free delivery.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-PB-2- ... 1000565747



Electric? :facepalm2: Cancel the order and get a pellet or Charcoal or wood burning one Chuck.
You will thank me later.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fornetto-Basso ... 1000714230

I knew when I posted this I would get some flak. But for the price and ease of use for the amount of times I would use it, it would work for me. Maybe down the read I will upgrade. :bigsmile:


You would save Money over that Electric one and this will do better as a Smoker. Plus, you will also have a Charcoal Grill you would use more often. :thumbsup2:
Seriously Chuck, these things work great for offset smoking. I would never be without one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Original ... ll/3055249

Oh, I have a camp chef grill and a Blacstone griddle so I have all the bases set. This will make #4 as far as grilling/smoking devices. :bigsmile: My wife will do a :facepalm2: when it arrives.

_________________
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
"Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux


Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:00 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Rainier
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014
Posts: 911
Real Name: Darryl
golddigger14s wrote:
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Just ordered a basic smoker because of you guys. $187 with free delivery.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-PB-2- ... 1000565747



Electric? :facepalm2: Cancel the order and get a pellet or Charcoal or wood burning one Chuck.
You will thank me later.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fornetto-Basso ... 1000714230

I knew when I posted this I would get some flak. But for the price and ease of use for the amount of times I would use it, it would work for me. Maybe down the read I will upgrade. :bigsmile:


You would save Money over that Electric one and this will do better as a Smoker. Plus, you will also have a Charcoal Grill you would use more often. :thumbsup2:
Seriously Chuck, these things work great for offset smoking. I would never be without one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Original ... ll/3055249

Oh, I have a camp chef grill and a Blacstone griddle so I have all the bases set. This will make #4 as far as grilling/smoking devices. :bigsmile: My wife will do a :facepalm2: when it arrives.


What Camp Chef do you have


Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:22 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 1.027s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]