Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 141  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Just ordered a basic smoker because of you guys. $187 with free delivery.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-PB-2- ... 1000565747

Electric? :facepalm2: Cancel the order and get a pellet or Charcoal or wood burning one Chuck.
You will thank me later.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fornetto-Basso ... 1000714230

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Gman wrote:
I cover mine in heavy duty foil. When it gets gnarly, I'll take it out and vacuum the ash, peel off the foil, and put a new sheet on it.

I did a brisket on Wed. and a pork butt on Thurs., so that magical day to change the foil is tomorrow.

I don't wait for it to get gnarly anymore. Too much chance of a fire, and too much ash floating around. If I do any significant cook, the ash gets vacuumed out and the drip pan gets scraped (I don't bother to foil anymore).

That kinda' takes the convenience out of it, doesn't it? :wink05:

I actually sold my Traeger a week ago. Didn't want to have to move it to WA. It has been great for our dry climate and I've never had a problem with it.

I'll be reading up closely once we get a place up there in WA. Will probably go stainless and want the ability to easily dump and change pellets and having the ability to sear will be on the list of wants.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:41 am

Not that I have anything against electric smokers.... but I think you'll regret an electric smoker sooner rather than later... I'm all about the WSM --- mainly because I got it for basically free in a trade -- but I find myself wanting an offset now.... for no real reason other than I want one. The urge for a pellet smoker isn't that strong --- a smoke tube on the gas grill works pretty damn good IMO --- I think I get better results than most do on $500+ auger smokers and the best part is its easy to change-mix-blend wood flavors for every cook. Some day I will be able to justify an auger or offset..... but no time soon.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gman wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Gman wrote:
I cover mine in heavy duty foil. When it gets gnarly, I'll take it out and vacuum the ash, peel off the foil, and put a new sheet on it.

I did a brisket on Wed. and a pork butt on Thurs., so that magical day to change the foil is tomorrow.

I don't wait for it to get gnarly anymore. Too much chance of a fire, and too much ash floating around. If I do any significant cook, the ash gets vacuumed out and the drip pan gets scraped (I don't bother to foil anymore).

I actually sold my Traeger a week ago. Didn't want to have to move it to WA. It has been great for our dry climate and I've never had a problem with it.

I'll be reading up closely once we get a place up there in WA. Will probably go stainless and want the ability to easily dump and change pellets and having the ability to sear will be on the list of wants.

If you want the things you mentioned, and you want a true Sear, this is what you want.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-wifi- ... gKP3vD_BwE

:thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Not that I have anything against electric smokers.... but I think you'll regret an electric smoker sooner rather than later... I'm all about the WSM --- mainly because I got it for basically free in a trade -- but I find myself wanting an offset now.... for no real reason other than I want one. The urge for a pellet smoker isn't that strong --- a smoke tube on the gas grill works pretty damn good IMO --- I think I get better results than most do on $500+ auger smokers and the best part is its easy to change-mix-blend wood flavors for every cook. Some day I will be able to justify an auger or offset..... but no time soon.

WSM's work great, as does most Vertical Charcoal smokers. :thumbsup2:
As far as changing pellet flavors with ease? Camp Chef and a couple others now have a hopper dump to make that an easy task.
As far as an offset? Unless it's a stick burner you probably wouldn't see much difference from what you get with the WSM or even a Weber Kettle running offset.

Nothing can beat burning real Wood, but the Pellet grills run a very close 2nd and the convenience of having basically an Oven you can set and forget is amazing.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Gman wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Gman wrote:

If you want the things you mentioned, and you want a true Sear, this is what you want.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-wifi- ... gKP3vD_BwE

:thumbsup2:

How'd you know that's the way I've already been leaning? I'll do more research once I figure out how much space I have. I research the crap out of purchases. Whenever my wife wants something, she puts me on task to do the research. :bigsmile:

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I second the Campchef but I would go 36".....better to have extra space then not enough ( I have the 36" with sear box)

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

codfather wrote:
I second the Campchef but I would go 36".....better to have extra space then not enough ( I have the 36" with sear box)

Yeah, i have the 24" and haven't run short of space but i'm not Cooking for large groups either. If someone does, that 36" would be the way to go. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
codfather wrote:

Yeah, i have the 24" and haven't run short of space but i'm not Cooking for large groups either. If someone does, that 36" would be the way to go. :thumbsup2:

Just waiting for them to get back in stock! The 36" of course, nkt that I'm compensatong for anything.....

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
codfather wrote:

Just waiting for them to get back in stock! The 36" of course, nkt that I'm compensatong for anything.....

https://www.campchef.com/wood-pellet-gr ... r-box.html

Look under the Model number Kyle, it says "In stock" :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

Electric? :facepalm2: Cancel the order and get a pellet or Charcoal or wood burning one Chuck.
You will thank me later.

I knew when I posted this I would get some flak. But for the price and ease of use for the amount of times I would use it, it would work for me. Maybe down the read I will upgrade. :bigsmile:

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:08 am

Good for you for being realistic about your expectations --- you have to start somewhere and that definitely is an easy and cost effective place to start. I know I probably would not be a 'smoker' if I hadn't picked up that WSM last march.... it was a life changing event! Even tho the WSM does take some tending, I look forward to using it each and every time - thats a big part of the enjoyment factor for me. I just picked up another 9# pork butt yesterday and can't wait to transform it into tasty meat!
Be sure to explore the flavors of the different woods - don't buy a 'mix' bag to start - I would suggest starting with maple, cherry and pecan -- each one by itself is nice, and every combo of the three is better. Apple is .... ok - hickory is kinda strong and easily overdone - I actually prefer oak over hickory - much more mellow and pleasant and mixes well with everything. Go on a chicken leg binge and smoke up 5-8 at a time with each flavor and see what you like --- its a fun and eye opening experience!

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

You will thank me later.

I knew when I posted this I would get some flak. But for the price and ease of use for the amount of times I would use it, it would work for me. Maybe down the read I will upgrade. :bigsmile:

You would save Money over that Electric one and this will do better as a Smoker. Plus, you will also have a Charcoal Grill you would use more often. :thumbsup2:
Seriously Chuck, these things work great for offset smoking. I would never be without one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Original ... ll/3055249

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

You will thank me later.

You would save Money over that Electric one and this will do better as a Smoker. Plus, you will also have a Charcoal Grill you would use more often. :thumbsup2:
Seriously Chuck, these things work great for offset smoking. I would never be without one.

Oh, I have a camp chef grill and a Blacstone griddle so I have all the bases set. This will make #4 as far as grilling/smoking devices. :bigsmile: My wife will do a :facepalm2: when it arrives.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
usrifle wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

You will thank me later.

Oh, I have a camp chef grill and a Blacstone griddle so I have all the bases set. This will make #4 as far as grilling/smoking devices. :bigsmile: My wife will do a :facepalm2: when it arrives.

What Camp Chef do you have

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 2103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 141  Next