Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dry aged delight. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or Disaster, only time will tell. Someone recommended these in the groceries thread and my birthday is coming up so I figured, Treat yo Self.

1 bone in Rib roast and a New York striploin. Used the immersion method as I didn’t have vacuum sealer handy and had never done this before. The New York was first, little awkward but figured it out, had a few spots of air I didn’t get out. Once I figured it out the rib roast was almost perfect seal wise.

They will age till around the 30th of Jan my bday depending on when I’m off shift. Used our overflow fridge crisping drawers with racks. I will make an effort to open fridge a couple times a day. Will post back with periodic updates.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Following this one. Thanks for the thread and look forward to the results. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:
Following this one. Thanks for the thread and look forward to the results. :thumbsup2:

Hell yeah! I’m liking forward to the results!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used the bags before, and they work great. Even with a vacuum sealer you can't get all the air out. It always takes me a few tires to get as much air out of as many larger spaces as I can before a final seal. Meat contact with the bag membrane is important. I would recommend not having them in those drawers though. Having good air circulation is key. To do something like that is a commitment and dedication of fridge space for sure. I'm lucky to have a garage fridge that I can clear off a shelf and use for this.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer you can put the bag inside a garbage bag, and dunk it in water. The water pressure will help push the air out. I don't know if the Umi bags can go in the water, which is why the trash bag rain coat suggestion.

Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how many days are you in?

I've got a brisket going trying to push 200 days, no pic out of town. my last rib eye was 102 days. /viewtopic.php?f=121&t=96884&hilit=dry+aged&start=990

Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good lord man, that’s dedication to the process. I started them yesterday and was only planning 45ish days, maybe I’ll let the New York go longer. But the ribeyes I want for my own bday/celebration dinner.

If the project turns out good I will definitely try again and use a vacuum sealer. Honestly was lazy and didn’t wanna go get our family shared one that day because I’m on nights lol.

I used a giant stock pot in the sink to push all the air out. It worked just a pain messing with those zip ties.
I read a few blogs/how to and a few people used the drawers and it worked for them. It’s shared/common fridge with pet food and lots of hands grabbing beer, so this was my protection from people messing with it. Maybe I’ll rearrange to be safe….

Have you fired the lower priced bags? I was torn.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
how many days are you in?

I've got a brisket going trying to push 200 days, no pic out of town. my last rib eye was 102 days. https://www.waguns.org//viewtopic.php?f ... &start=990

Wow you are adventurous. I've seen a few videos of people dry aging for longer than 120 days, and it gets mixed reviews. Your set up and quality of beef you start with play a big part in this. Especially going for so long. Good luck on your adventure with that.

Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very busy this week and had totally forgot to even look at these dang things.

The rib roast doesn’t look promising but it doesn’t smell yet, so I got that going for me. It was pre trimmed at the store when I bought it, so I wonder if that has something do with it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The New York strip loin definitely looks more like the videos and other pictures I have seen of this process. It came vacuum packed straight from the distributor/butcher like the instructions suggested.

Lol that side pic sucked. I’m tired, I’ll do another update next week.

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glad you brought this up again got home the other day. WIL. next time get one with fat cap on, you have to trim anyways so less meat going. If you do a 45 day for you bday I will say get another and double it, you will see and taste a difference.

ok so we got 133 days in. no stink and starting to get the "tenderizing"

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to add to the post, I found some photos from two years back when I dry aged with the Umi Bags. I forgot to write down the pre-weight. I took the trim and ran it through a grinder to make burger. I was disappointed when I made burger patties, but I think my fat to lean ratio was off. They were fatty, and the dry age cooks way faster than fresh beef. So it had some uneven cooking to it. I think if I had a better ratio, and a finer grind would have helped. It was good if you needed burger for something like Helper or soup. I did a 35 day age. Steaks were fantastic though.

Attachment:
66072139_10158223333832069_7485547764026179584_n.jpg

Attachment:
66031091_10158223333957069_7267569575229652992_n.jpg

Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those steaks look good, it doesn't seem like you lost an awful lot to the pellicle. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well 165 days no scale so I cant weight it. the hardest part was cutting the pellicle off, about 45 min.
Kept it simple just honey mustard salt and pepper

I can barely cut it, just falls apart and juicy.

Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man after much ado, I also completed this evolution as well and I’m not 100% I’d do it again. I think the Strip loin turned out good but the rib roast was questionable. The strip loin had a woodsy nutty smell. The meat had a nice deep red color and tasted great. I ate one, vacuum sealed the rest and froze them to be Sous Vided once I buy one.

Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now onto the disheartening part of the evolution. This rib roast smelt like the back kitchen of the small questionable taqueria. You know the one you ate at once, you were ok but your buddy got sick at even though you ate the same thing.

Most of the meat had that deep red color but there were some grey/brown spots that I questioned and cut as much away as I could. The smell was similar to the New York’s but had that off smell to it as well. After cutting so much of the top layer off, I felt like I cut away more then what was left over. I haven’t tried one the ribeye yet because I had to work the last 12 days and didn’t wanna chance it.

Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next