Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:19 am


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Garlic Butter 
Author Message
Site Moderator
User avatar
Site Moderator

Location: WA/MT
Joined: Wed Mar 6, 2013
Posts: 11982
:drool:

Trying to figure out a workable way to get a LOT of mashed roasted garlic into melted butter without it turning into sticky clumps...
I'm guessing that it is the roasting of the garlic that is making this so difficult.

Any hints, tips or tricks? :wagwoot:

_________________
"I like causing trouble, but only if I'm aware of it. To think I created a problem by accident was disappointing." Traut
"If you wanna be close to the big town you’re gonna have to eat shit sammiches a lot." Dan360
"The greatest challenge that I faced was peeling back the layers of my own bias"
"There are violent crazy murderous people in our society! We need to give up all of our means of self-protection IMMEDIATELY!"


Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:52 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: The banana belt of Sequim
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016
Posts: 1099
Real Name: Jay
Don't use melted butter. It won't work. Room temp. is the only way to go.

4 cloves garlic, skins left on
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place the garlic on a small sheet of foil and pull up the foil's edges to form a pouch.
Pour the oil over the garlic and sprinkle with about 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
Roast for 35 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.

Step 2
Place the butter in a small bowl.
Squeeze the garlic out of its skins onto the butter.
Add the remaining salt and mash with a wooden spoon to combine.
Chill the butter until needed, but allow it to come to room temperature before spreading.

_________________
MadPick wrote:
. . . and the more I lubed it, the better it did.


Thread all the things and suppress all the threaded things.

Jay
I'm not interested in how or where a weapon is made, as long as it does the job it needs to do and I know how to use it.
As long as it fires ammunition and you've got lots of it, that's all you should be concerned about.
Andy McNab, SAS


Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:24 pm
Profile
Site Moderator
User avatar
Site Moderator

Location: WA/MT
Joined: Wed Mar 6, 2013
Posts: 11982
Isildur wrote:
Don't use melted butter. It won't work. Room temp. is the only way to go.

4 cloves garlic, skins left on
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place the garlic on a small sheet of foil and pull up the foil's edges to form a pouch.
Pour the oil over the garlic and sprinkle with about 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
Roast for 35 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.

Step 2
Place the butter in a small bowl.
Squeeze the garlic out of its skins onto the butter.
Add the remaining salt and mash with a wooden spoon to combine.
Chill the butter until needed, but allow it to come to room temperature before spreading.


Derishus! Will try. Thank you Jay.

My dilemma is that I wanted to drizzle the garlic butter of popcorn. It always comes out so clumpy that the garlicy tasting popcorn are few and far between in the bowl.

_________________
"I like causing trouble, but only if I'm aware of it. To think I created a problem by accident was disappointing." Traut
"If you wanna be close to the big town you’re gonna have to eat shit sammiches a lot." Dan360
"The greatest challenge that I faced was peeling back the layers of my own bias"
"There are violent crazy murderous people in our society! We need to give up all of our means of self-protection IMMEDIATELY!"


Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:28 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: I-5 /512
Joined: Thu Dec 8, 2011
Posts: 12928
Real Name: chris
ROASTING IT :reaction:



you dry it out that way, want the oils.

pretty much what jay says. oil to soften it and the salt extracts oil out. add a little parmesan after

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: S. Everett
Joined: Thu May 2, 2013
Posts: 2403
Huh. You all do this so much different than I.
I take six heads of garlic, peeled, then roast in a pan with a pinch salt and a drizzle of olive oil to just coat all the wedges of garlic.
When lightly browned and toasted, I take off heat and let cool. Then I pour the pan into a bowl over cheesecloth. I strain the crap out of it and mix the juice with whipping cream. Then I whip the cream into butter.

It’s a lot of steps, but it’s worked well for me.


Edit: another way to do it is to use a food processor with softened butter and pulse the garlic with the oil and everything until the butter is whipped with the garlic. That should hold better than my technique. We use our butter for breads mostly. I also think my technique might be better for your popcorn.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:14 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: The banana belt of Sequim
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016
Posts: 1099
Real Name: Jay
PMB wrote:

My dilemma is that I wanted to drizzle the garlic butter of popcorn. It always comes out so clumpy that the garlicy tasting popcorn are few and far between in the bowl.


Then use garlic powder or maybe flakes in the melted butter. Not the same as fresh garlic, but will get flavor without clumping.

I use this in melted butter for popcorn. Super good, and a little goes a long way:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DUF3O32

Image

_________________
MadPick wrote:
. . . and the more I lubed it, the better it did.


Thread all the things and suppress all the threaded things.

Jay
I'm not interested in how or where a weapon is made, as long as it does the job it needs to do and I know how to use it.
As long as it fires ammunition and you've got lots of it, that's all you should be concerned about.
Andy McNab, SAS


Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 1838
Garlic powder sprinkled evenly over popcorn, then melted butter in a spray bottle sprayed over the top.


Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Redmond/Bellevue/Kirkland
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014
Posts: 311
I just smash the cloves a little, and then put them in melted butter that I keep melted, but not hot enough to boil off the water. Let it set there for as long as you want, then pour through a sieve. Done. You can also add parsley near the end, too.


Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:13 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.684s | 14 Queries | GZIP : On ]