Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 OPEN SEATS 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry I haven’t updated here in a while.

I’ve been posting on my Open Seats thread on NWFA. They think I spend more time fishing and have more fishing stuff than gun stuff, they’re right… :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

If you want to follow that thread here it is, warning it’s lengthy. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threa ... ts.328720/

These are my two last outings…

6-15-21
At 5 am the duck starts a quackin (it’s about the only ringtone that wakes me from a dead sleep, that and Mrs Caveman’s elbow when I don’t stir)
I’m on the road in 45 mins (a record for me). Sunshine snuffed out by fog that I’m almost positive will burn off very soon and blind me as I drive East into it. No traffic, not even one slow poke or slowdowns.o_O I’m really thinking that this is some kind of a fluke but hoped for the best.
I WAS RIGHT but so glad that I didn’t forget the prescription Oakleys…. I was gonna need em and my sun hat!!!!

I met Mr and Mrs. @2ndtimer at the ramp about 15 minutes early. Was looking at 1.5-2’ wind waves and thought “we’re gonna need a bigger boat” but knew the 18’ Jetcraft Yukon would handle it nicely (unlike the rodeo trip with @Thomas_Gunne a few months earlier). :eek:

We motored to the killing fields slowly to get acquainted, had a brief safety briefing and what to expect once we arrive and git to fishin…
First and foremost, there should ALWAYS be a butt in the Captains chair if not his own. Things get dicey when navigation is taken for granted.

Once we located the first school, the action was pretty much constant with a 20-30 minute lull to give ole Caveman’s back a break (because the two stacked lines were tangled up and couldn’t catch squat). :oops::oops::oops:
Another reason to check them lines occasionally that aren’t getting bit…

Mrs. 2ndtimer did a stellar job, listening, following my directions and reeling in the first half dozen 14-18” fish… THEY WERE HUGGEEEEE!!! These fish are growing very fast and man alive they are a great fight using my Lamiglas Classic Glass Kokanee rods!!!!
Next up Mr. @2ndtimer takes a break from the helm to get in on the action and seemed to enjoy it greatly. We had more bites than Carter had liver pills, we let the 3 little guys live for another day and lost a half dozen or more right at the boat… It’s heart breaking to see the big fish give you the fin and swim away….
The wind did finally lay down probably about 11-12 and it got warm but we were still in the fish and limited out with 15 fish by 1pm. There was a mix of LL Coho, rainbows and Triploid rainbows.
All in all it was a great birthday present for
Mrs. 2ndtimer, I’m pleased that she enjoyed a day of fishing catching and learning how to troll for the tastiest fish in the lake.
That’s to be expected it was such a fantastic and action packed day I didn’t take very many pictures at all but here’s a crappy one that tells the tale.;)

Attachment:
CC1B44BA-9C56-486B-B163-C10F3AED2480.jpeg

Saturday 6-19

Well yesterday’s adventure was with my regular crew, I will call them normal because they are not. Lol
Anyways the duck started quackin at 2:45am :eek:
Yeah, I was thinking about the hoards of Bubbas that would show up at the ramp trying to figure out how to launch their boats like last year…

We got to the park entrance at 5:15 AM and there were two boats ahead of us so that was a relief. Additionally, there was actually only a dozen boats in the parking lot when we arrived so we did not have to wait to launch.

The only thing different from my last trip was that yesterday played out with no sunshine, just clouds. I didn’t need my Oakley‘s nor my sun hat, the sun did decide to appear around 11:30 after we were out of the water heading home… :D

Riffe lake is my own personal rinse and repeat fishery…:s0062:

Attachment:
A4BB7339-B31F-4F91-A8D9-5829F0445536.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Following up on this thread I have been slacking off on recently, apologies.

dreadi wrote:
I am a chilly willy kind of guy with fishing licenses! :bow:

Wow!!! I cannot believe that I missed this post and apologies for not responding Dana..
Let’s schedule a trip in July or August!!!

Old Growth wrote:
The water level is not supposed to ever come back up. They dont plan to fix/update the dam. At least that is the word on the street!

Looks good!

TPU rebuilt the hydroelectric generators back in 2010-2011. Per their website;

“We replaced the 40-year-old turbine generators in the powerhouse in 2010 and 2011 with modern, efficient turbines that produce more power using the same amount of water. Watch a video detailing how we rebuilt the two Mossyrock powerhouse generators.”

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:

Old Growth wrote:
The water level is not supposed to ever come back up. They dont plan to fix/update the dam. At least that is the word on the street!

Looks good!

“We replaced the 40-year-old turbine generators in the powerhouse in 2010 and 2011 with modern, efficient turbines that produce more power using the same amount of water. Watch a video detailing how we rebuilt the two Mossyrock powerhouse generators.”

An update for efficiency is not the concern. Its a structural concern.

Supposedly the dam when it was raised higher in the late 60s was not done correctly. Rumor is that the top part of the dam is not secured to bedrock, just to hardpan and concerns have been brought up about its integrity in a event such as an earthquake. So the power company has decided to lower the water level to what they feel is a safe alternative.

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Old Growth wrote:

Looks good!

An update for efficiency is not the concern. Its a structural concern.

Supposedly the dam when it was raised higher in the late 60s was not done correctly. Rumor is that the top part of the dam is not secured to bedrock, just to hardpan and concerns have been brought up about its integrity in a event such as an earthquake. So the power company has decided to lower the water level to what they feel is a safe alternative.

Oh shit, not good!!! I never heard that bit of information, I wonder if they will admit to it?
As long as I can launch the FV: Bloody Deck I’m a gonna fish…. :bigsmile:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:54 pm

Dad was just asking me if we were going to go this year and I figured that since the state is opening up that place would be more crowded then usual even during the week since a couple campgrounds use that boat launch. I have a mountain lake that I fish that has cutthroat the size of those kokanee and we have the lake all to ourselves cause most people do not have the skill to fish it.

Now if the water is going to be lowered will that launch even be useable? The one with the funny name at the other end of the lake is down to only one functioning boat launch in spite of all the money Tacoma Power dumped into the park.

Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They lowered the water level this year so they could work on the Barrier damn hatchery and Mayfield damn before the May-June snowmelt. There’s plenty of water to use both ramps now.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the pleasure to have O_Kellog and his wife aboard the FV: Bloody Deck again last week. It was another great outing with limits of LL (landlocked) Coho and Triploid rainbows. Good food (last weeks doughnuts, refrigerated of course) coffee, jokes and good conversations were had. Always a good time my friend!!!

The lake is full of water and the fish are cooperating nicely on the recent cool mornings, my kind of fishing. :bigsmile:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had another great day on the water Thursday. My brother from another mother from Shelton jumped on the late notice trip with 8 hours till go time… :rofl9:
All went well but it took me a few more hours to limit due to the wind and not being able to get out to the honey hole quickly before the sun was beating down. We had to fish deeper than normal (60-100’ OTW) since there is basically no cloud cover in the AM anymore because of the dog days of SUMMER… icon_eek We managed one limit of coho and the others were the Triploids.

The recent problem with this fishery on Riffe is the 400k+ Triploid rainbows they planted last year and as I understand it, these fish were destined for fertilizer until someone bullshitted someone into planting them here. These fish do not spawn, all they do is eat so they are going to take a good portion of the Coho’s food and possibly starve them out over the years. :angryfire:

Attachment:
5E8368D7-2C92-41AD-9625-EBD09FAEC1C4.jpeg

Attachment:
197C2A6B-3804-4029-8DE6-208E86D1264C.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:43 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Is there a limit in rainbows and do they eat good?

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Type 07 Class 2 NFA Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
Is there a limit in rainbows and do they eat good?

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Type 07 Class 2 NFA Dealer
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

There is a five fish limit per person no matter whether it’s rainbows, triploids or Coho.
They eat just fine, these are big water fish not in the muddy bottom hatchery trout planted in the smaller lakes.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim, you guys should concentrate on taking those Triploids and maybe throw the Coho back? Sounds like the Triploids are a problem.

Go get you some Dana, they eat good.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have fun eating a Trip. I dont eat those things. The only acceptable way to eat them, in my mind is smoked. Even then its iffy.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Jim, you guys should concentrate on taking those Triploids and maybe throw the Coho back? Sounds like the Triploids are a problem.

I haven’t heard back from the WDFW fish checker that we saw down there a couple weeks ago, we’re supposed to get a call back but it has not materialized as of yet. That was one of the things that we had talked about, raising the limits on the Triploids to get hem out of there.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
usrifle wrote:

I haven’t heard back from the WDFW fish checker that we saw down there a couple weeks ago, we’re supposed to get a call back but it has not materialized as of yet. That was one of the things that we had talked about, raising the limits on the Triploids to get hem out of there.

If anyone could reduce that population, it would be you. You are one Fish slaying dude. :bow:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take those trips and do a brown sugar salt brine for 24hrs then air dry till they get a nice sheen on them from the sugar and smoke 2 pans of mesquite in the big chief. Debone and mix with mayo and your favorite spices, pretty damned tasty on Ritz crackers with a barley soda :thumbsup2:

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next