Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Speaking of trapping 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may be the off season for fur and I don't have any wco jobs going right now but I'm still trapping. Set out a test trap last night with a bait taste. Roadkill gray squirrel produced a dozen nice crawfish right in town on the little mashell river, pretty good trade up from roadkill and a nice lunch time snack

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you have egg carrying females. Been a while since I really put effort in Crawdads, but is that illegal, or just frowned upon in any way?
Makes me want to buy or make a couple traps and try my hand at trapping some.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To early to show eggs I'm not sure what that film was coming out of the bigger one there but no eggs in it. Only one smaller one had eggs up inside not yet showing but yes if eggs are present you cannot keep them they must be released back into the water. In about 3-6 weeks I expect to start seeing egg carrying females when water temp is up. These ones are from a river so water is colder and take longer to show eggs. The ones in Ohop lake a couple hundred yards away are starting to show eggs right now

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! I got a trap recently hoping to catch some mud bugs, only set it out once and didn't have any luck. Got any pointers on good places to set traps in the area?

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The more rocks the better for creeks and rivers and I like deep spots 4-10 feet is great with rocks baseball to volleyball size with clear water.y best bait so far has been chicken drumsticks with skin on. Best thing you can do is make a small bait cage that suspends inside the trap. That modification alone more then doubled my production, I'll take some pictures to show you what I mean

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:29 pm

I do well with cheep hot dogs. Eight for a buck hotdogs. I put two hot dogs in each trap. I currently have two traps in the water below the cabin. I use a pair of tongs to sex them as I like my fingers. Expect to catch carp in the trap too. A trapped carp makes good live bait for crayfish. The tapered cylinder traps work better then the square ones because you can work them loose. Have extra traps if you work a resevoir like I do. I have one tied off and I can not get to it because the water level came up. When the water level drops I will recover it. I get my traps from Amazon. Also the traps come with a crappy spring clip to hold them closed and fasten the rope. I use the spring clip to hold the trap closed but use a small snap caribner snapped through both half frames to tie the rope to. A milk jug with your WILD ID number works fine for a float.

Looks like I should take a photo or two of the way I do it. My traps are in the water right now just not baited. When I go up to the cabin I bait my traps as soo as I can. I have caught as many as 72 in one day from two traps. The phase of the moon seems to make a difference. I go through a half package of hot dogs a day. If I have extra food scraps I toss them in the traps too.

Last edited by hartcreek on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the bait cage, takes a couple minutes to make from 1/2x1/2 mesh

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The zip ties make them quick removal so traps can be stacked and transported easily on the back of my dual sport to get into back watersImageImage

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]