Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 First time hunting in WA state / hiking with a rifle/pistol 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Hey ya'll, so usually I hunt in Texas, and the Bible Belt area. God's Country per say.

That being said I haven't hunted in WA.

I'll be using most likely a 6.5CM KAC or LMT or 7.62. I also have 300 PRC, WIN MAG, etc

That being said, I am a disabled veteran or whatever they classify it, I want to hunt deer, elk and even bear if I can.

Texas was great because Deer I was on management land and knew the game wardens so I could take a lot of game (we donated meat too). Elk wasn't native to Texas so no restriction on it.

What's the best license to get and what's the best areas to hunt? I don't mind hiking to hunt, pack game in and out.

Also I'm going to be getting back into hiking, and I'll be carrying a firearm. I'll most likely have just a handgun, but depending on where and when might sling a rifle in a pack. How often is this the norm now days as I know WA is really weird, and what hikes have been historically justified to carry (although I've read the laws stating carrying a firearm while lawfully engaging in these actives) I will have a valid CCW.

Thanks everyone, look forward to everyone's input

Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being disabled vet you get a nice discount if not free tags. Get the big game combo deer,elk,bear and cougar. I have no need for the small game so I don’t personally get that one. For I do go to Clearwater area or in the Winston unit. For deer I stay around Mason unit, Skok unit and the satsop unit.
And yes you can carry a pistol on this state while hunting

Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:52 am

farfrompar28 wrote:
Being disabled vet you get a nice discount if not free tags. Get the big game combo deer,elk,bear and cougar. I have no need for the small game so I don’t personally get that one. For I do go to Clearwater area or in the Winston unit. For deer I stay around Mason unit, Skok unit and the satsop unit.
And yes you can carry a pistol on this state while hunting

Perfect, I'm also concerned about carrying while hiking. I'll get the big game combo. I do want to hunt cougar lol

Is a lot of land DNR or accessible to whomever no permissions ?

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:45 am

I am in Yakima county and I carry all the time anyway. I just pack heavier during hunting season. I made the mistake of setting out salt and cams one day a year ago and I was just packing a 9mm. I lost my way and wound up following the creek out of the meadow area I had set up on. Turned out I was herding a bear out of the creek drainage. Carry what you want for me during hunting season I carry a Uberti Walker or one of my cartridge revolvers of at least .44 Special and larger.

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]