Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 New York Deer Hunting 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Twenty-eight tags for four people?!! Holy crap, it’s gonna be a slaughter!

Looking forward to the stories. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We will be donating some to the butcher shop to hand out to those in need and soup kitchens.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked up a Traditions Outfitter single-shot in 350 legend for this trip back to New York. I was going to buy a Vortex illuminated 3x9 scope to mount on it but my brother-in-law gave me two scopes a couple of weeks ago. A Nikon Prostaff 2.5 x 10 and a Leopold:VX2 4x24. So I mounted the Nikon prostaff 2.5x10 scope on the rifle.
I bought a box of target ammo, a box of 150 grain and a box of 180 grain hunting ammo as well. I fly back to Syracuse New York on October 18th for small game hunting and trapping so I will sight it in when I get there. Once I see what the rifle like better I'll buy some bullets and get it fine tuned.
On November 1st the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation will put up the unsold doe tags up for sale over the counter.so we will be getting our two extra doe tags per person. Eight of them, when Ed & Mel fly back here if they have any unused doe tags then can transfer them to us to use.
This should be a fun hunting trip this year. I was watching a podcast from the Steuben Sportsmans Club where they were talking to two DEC deer biologist about previous deer kills and this year's doe tag allocation.
Last you there were 224,000 deer killed plus another 5,000deer on deer damage permits.
We will be hunting in three different deer management areas with the sixteen tags we already have.
On the bonus Tags we will be getting two more areas to hunt in. In game management region 8R they harvested 14 deer per square mile, but there isn't much in the region for state game lands so we will take a ride over to that area and see if we can obtain permission to hunt on private property over there when I get back there on my small game and trapping trip.
Here is a buck my oldest son got on a trailcam in his horse pasture behind his house in New York.
Weird rack on it.

The new Traditions 350 Legend

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I placed an a two week ad in the local shopper paper back in the area I will be hunting and fishing in. It reads "two brothers looking for places to trap coyotes " with a bunch of towns listed.
We got a response from a guy who owns three properties in three different towns , all three properties are 100 plus acres.
He has a huge woodchuck problem to start with. It It works out we will address that issue then move onto coyotes, fox, bobcat and fisher.
Then maybe onto deer hunting.

Then another guy has a beaver issue that needs remedied.
I will call him later today and talk with him

Next Tuesday is the flight back to Upstate New York.

Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! :thumbsup2:

Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We leave Seattle tomorrow morning at 6am.
We will be in Syracuse New York tomorrow afternoon at 4.10pm eastern time. We will be out squirrel hunting early Wednesday morning. We will make some waxed dirt for covering traps this trip and have it ready for when the ground freezes up in the end of November & December.

We should have about three dozen 160 and 220 conibear traps set for fisher, bobcat, coyote and fox both red and gray.
I picked up three frozen beavers from a trapper here in Washington state last Friday. Sunday I got them all cut up and vacuum sealed & frozen again for fisher bait.

Mason is all excited to get back there and get some hunting done.

Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:thumbsup2:

safe trip and may your bounty be full

Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He’s going to have some great memories… :bow:

Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We left Seattle at 6am to Chicago. We are loaded up in Chicago and will be heading to Syracuse New York here in a few minutes. .we arrive there at 4.12 pm eastern time.
Tomorrow morning we will be out squirrel hunting early in the morning then at 1pm tomorrow we will be hooking up with a guy about trapping on three properties in three different towns. Each property is over a hundred acres.

This will be a fun trip.

Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first two days wasn't to productive. The temperature took a cold dive down into the mid twenties and nothing was out moving. Yesterday he got two gray squirrels. He almost got a nice Tom turkey but just wasn't fast enough to get a good shot off. There was three big Tom's with in gun range but the vegetarian was a little to thick for a good shot.

Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our two week trip went by pretty fast. Mason got a bunch of squirrels and he shot a hen turkey.
We can on the three separate flocks of turkeys and three separate big Tom's.
The Tom's didn't waste any time to get the hell out of dodge.

Our trapping wasn't as productive as I thought it was going to be. While we were back there my brother caught a 20 pound boar coon and I caught a fair size male skunk.
Mason had the privilege of dispatching them.
I skinned them out and will get the hides tanned for Mason's bedroom wall.
After we came back last Tuesday my brother caught a small coon. Other then that the traps were pretty much idle.
I fly back next Tuesday for a month of deer hunting and trapping in New York and Pennsylvania.
With the colder weather the trapping should pick up.
I did take Mason to Secret Caverns and to the Statue of liberty.
Secret Caverns has a 100 foot underground waterfall. It was a lot of steps down to the cavern and some of the passages were low and narrow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear you guys are back to wreak havoc on them deer. Good luck.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Deer season opens up tomorrow morning.

Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You’re probably out there already so good luck today.
Late buck season here started yesterday, went with daughter all day and saw 3 slick heads & two grouse, nothing died. icon_eek

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ed got a deer on Saturday and missed another earlier in the day. We have been seeing lots of deer but not many shooting opportunities. Ed and Mell go back to Washington next Tuesday. The want to spend a day sight seeing. I xome back on December 15th. This coming Saturday Pennsylvania deer season opens up. The farm we will be hunting down there hasn't been hunted in years.

Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next