Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 School me on fishing 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m just getting into fishing , I will primarily be fishing in pierce county or locally around pierce county . My question is what is the best rigs to run ? I know that’s kind of a loaded question because it depends what river/ lake I’m on and what I’m fishing for . Ther isn’t really anything specific I want to catch , I just want to get out and learn the ropes and be a productive fisher . I would really like to learn river fishing though, I’ve done Lake fishing but never really tried river . I am reading a lot of different stuff online but there is so much info online that i don’t really know where to start as far as beginner rigs and techniques.

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

2 Corinthians 4:16
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First thing to learn about river fishing is that you are going to lose a lot of gear.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paging Breck

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No pun intended right???

I guess it depends on what you're fishing for. Fishing gear is like AR parts. Found a swivel, guess I need a new rod for that. WA fish forums are helpful.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anytime you are fishing, having the best gear is important. This is the first item you'll need: https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainles ... 0000644AF/

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the key to fisting is plenty of lu.... what's that? fiSHing? oh... never mind...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
First thing to learn about river fishing is that you are going to lose a lot of gear.

This right here.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Just get yourself a 6'6-7" med fast rod and a 2000 series sized reel. Look to spend around 75+ on each, under that I dont bother. The rod sensitivity and reel quality isnt there. You'll potentially miss fish and your casting distance wont be as good. 8-10 lb fluro or braid line. Grab some jars of floating and sinking powerbait, hooks, bobbers( the red and white plastic ones suckkkkk), weights kast masters and spinners. Plenty of you tube channels out there to show you knots and techniques for all those setups. I like addicted fishing and nw fishing secrets as they are local dudes.

You have a lot of good lakes around you, it's just that bank fishing is pretty pressured and limiting on locations

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OP is a bit vague as "fishing" is a vast enterprise. Even "river fishing" is vague. We talking about the Columbia or something a whole lot smaller? You talking trout/steelhead/salmon or sturgeon?

I grew up fly fishing streams for trout. Moved to the PNW (OR) in high school and there was no room for back casting. Streams were so overgrown with blackberry vines and other plants. The other guys in high school were using ultralight spinning gear and Rooster Tail spinners. Switched to that and have been using it ever since. I can work a stream using so many different approaches, even as restricted as flipping under a log. It's really productive and a lot of fun. Caught a 5lb. Cutbow on the White River in CO on a 5.5' rod and 6lb. test. What a blast.

I'm hoping to get relocated up here to WA and get back into it.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Another thing that I absolutely love are trout magnets. Pink by far is the best color, they are mega lightweight so dont expect them to go past 25 ft with no wind, I usually throw them on with a 1/4 oz weighted cigar bobber and some times add some split shot to get them out further. I can damn near guarantee you'll catch a perch, baby smallie, blue hill or some other little pan fish every single time you go to American lake whether it's at the park in tillicum or lakewood, or the dock walk way at fenwick. Those little dudes are so much fun

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Paging Breck
Yeah, man. What’s your schedule like? I’d be happy to take you out on a lake and/or a river and show you a few things. This time of year, I’m mainly after Summer steelhead, but I also enjoy lake fishing for trout, bass, perch, bluegill, crappie, etc. In the spring and fall, I’m after salmon and in Winter, I’m busy chasing those pesky steelhead again. I mainly like to fly fish, but use lots of other methods. Not huge into bait fishing, but I’ll do it if it’s the only thing working. Maybe try some of my rods and reels and see which works best for you. I have a 16’ Clackacraft drift boat.

Anyway, I’m always happy to teach. All I ask is that you kick down a little $ for gas and/or bring lunch/snacks/beer.

Hit me up if you’d like to go.

Same offer goes out to the rest of y’all.

-Breck

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:29 am

First off you do not need to spend all that much money. I use a 15 dollar telescoping pole so when I get in the thick shit I can collapse it down and not snag. I have fished some streams where I ran out of bank and had to collapse my pole and swim across. I use a Fluger ultra light real to compensate for the crap pole because I can set the drag just tight enough to be able to reel in so when the fish hits it takes line and sets the hook then I tighten the drag. Braided line is a must. My Dad likes 7-10 pound and I like 15 so when I snag on rocks or logs I can horse it a bit and usually unsnag. I keep a second spool and a second reel on me just in case. For spinning lures forget most of what Yakima Bait Company makes unless it has a more pear shaped body. With a slow retrieve on a capsul shaped body the blade hangs tight to the body and does not flutter. Spoons of various patterns and sizes still work but for fishing the Tieton Panther Martins work best and since it is barbless I pinch the barbs.

If a friend has a 70 year old Mitchel reel that they want to give you do not dispair because you can disassemble that Mitchel and remove the old crud lubricating wax and then lube it with a foaming chain lube and you will be able to use it all day long. I have a box of antique Swiss reels that I have treated and they work better then new and one easily learns to hold their finger out to catch the line on retreve so the line can be picked up as some of these antiques only have a button for a bale to catch the line others have a 3/4 bale but if you do not hold your finger out your are SOL.

I have picked up fantastic old reels for a few dollars at the Goodwill

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the info guys , I’m vague on most stuff because I’m open to anything, also I’m not sure what I will like more over others . I am going to be fishing buoy 10 on the Columbia august 15th for chinook and coho. I haven’t spent a whole lot on gear . Right now I’m using a 6’-6” Burkley trout dough rod . I do also have a heavier salmon pole . I have a 12’ fiberglass with minn Kota trolling motor . So prolly for now I will be sticking with lakes more just because it’s easy for me to get around with a recovering knee from surgery .

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

2 Corinthians 4:16
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:20 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moved to WaGuts.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get there earllyyyy to get your spot on the rock. Dress appropriately for weather conditions.
Learn to cover water, if no bites or sighted fish then move on.
Remember the color spectrum.
If someone yells coming up or coming down, they have snagged a fish. Leave and find more ethical fishing areas.
If you’re standing next to people and they say fish on then reel in and take a short break. Don’t be that guy....
I personally don’t fish around others, I’ll find a stretch of water all to myself to enjoy.

If by chance you want to learn to catch fish in a lake, I can show you a lot of my tried and true tips.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by Caveman Jim on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next