Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I hate fish, but like fishing with the kids. 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Spent a couple days this weekend fishing with my kids (15/17).

Friday we rented a boat at Offut Lake Resort and spent the first 1.5 hrs fishing bass with no luck. After a that we stopped on the west end of the lake and dropped anchor switching to worms on a 2' leader and egg weight. About 5 minutes later my youngest got the first bite and while reeling in my other son got one at the same time. After we landed those we re did the worms and cast back out. Another few minutes go by and we basically repeat within the next 10 minutes... And of course as I am trying to swap setups from bass, the kids keep catching. I finally got my gear in the water and again pretty quick to bite. In about 1.5hrs we had caught 10 good sized rainbows. It was a bunch of fun there and we got to feed the otters that hang by the docks.

Attachment:
20210903_110507.jpg

Attachment:
20210903_111758.jpg

Attachment:
20210903_124350.jpg

Yesterday we fished in our back yard lake with a friend. We had 2 boats on the water. Between 4 of us,we landed at least 1 bluegill, 16 bass and 2 black crappie beasts. I think 3 of the bass had baby fish in their mouths. One bass I caught had a baby crappie in its mouth so we hooked it up as bait. My oldest son caught a 1.75lb black crappie with it. That was the coolest thing we have done so far. Otherwise we just threw Senkos with much better luck than normal. Trolling didn't produce much. Normally we catch bluegill and crappie trolling across the lake. Our friend was the last one to land a fish beating out my sons 1.75lb crappie with a 1.8 lb one. We usually just catch and release but we decided to keep the Crappie. My oldest really wanted to make fresh fish sandwiches. So once we got up to the house we cut out the good meat and he made fried Crappie. I neglected to get a photo of his masterpice.

Attachment:
20210904_081732.jpg

Attachment:
20210904_082153.jpg

Attachment:
lunker.jpg

Attachment:
20210904_135728.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

now there some good eating too. gut em and garlic pepper and pan fry the whole thing.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:47 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dang. You guys are having some FUN!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:02 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

My folks fish rainbows on their lake. They hate the fish but…it’s makes excellent Dungeness crab bait. Great trade if you like going out crabbing on the sound.

They don’t even gut them. Just vac seal and freeze them whole. Then bait pots with them during crabbing season.

Food for thought?

Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
Spent a couple days this weekend fishing with my kids (15/17).

Friday we rented a boat at Offut Lake Resort and spent the first 1.5 hrs fishing bass with no luck. After a that we stopped on the west end of the lake and dropped anchor switching to worms on a 2' leader and egg weight. About 5 minutes later my youngest got the first bite and while reeling in my other son got one at the same time. After we landed those we re did the worms and cast back out. Another few minutes go by and we basically repeat within the next 10 minutes... And of course as I am trying to swap setups from bass, the kids keep catching. I finally got my gear in the water and again pretty quick to bite. In about 1.5hrs we had caught 10 good sized rainbows. It was a bunch of fun there and we got to feed the otters that hang by the docks.

Attachment:
20210903_110507.jpg

Attachment:
20210903_111758.jpg

Attachment:
20210903_124350.jpg

Yesterday we fished in our back yard lake with a friend. We had 2 boats on the water. Between 4 of us,we landed at least 1 bluegill, 16 bass and 2 black crappie beasts. I think 3 of the bass had baby fish in their mouths. One bass I caught had a baby crappie in its mouth so we hooked it up as bait. My oldest son caught a 1.75lb black crappie with it. That was the coolest thing we have done so far. Otherwise we just threw Senkos with much better luck than normal. Trolling didn't produce much. Normally we catch bluegill and crappie trolling across the lake. Our friend was the last one to land a fish beating out my sons 1.75lb crappie with a 1.8 lb one. We usually just catch and release but we decided to keep the Crappie. My oldest really wanted to make fresh fish sandwiches. So once we got up to the house we cut out the good meat and he made fried Crappie. I neglected to get a photo of his masterpice.

Attachment:
20210904_081732.jpg

Attachment:
20210904_082153.jpg

Attachment:
lunker.jpg

Attachment:
20210904_135728.jpg

Damn...those are some nice Fish! Well done Dad! :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s what it’s all about, good on ya for getting the kids out on the water. Most kids love catching but hate fishing (very slow to no catching).
I will not eat trout, the hatchery raised trout are mushy white meat garbage… icon_eek

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WOW. NICE fish!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I LOVE FISH!!

(Wish I had a fishin' and huntin' buddy)

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
That’s what it’s all about, good on ya for getting the kids out on the water. Most kids love catching but hate fishing (very slow to no catching).
I will not eat trout, the hatchery raised trout are mushy white meat garbage… icon_eek

Agree.

Depends on what the trout have been eating IMHO.

Tops: Cutthroat trout in Yellowstone lake, wild browns, rainbows, goldens (not the fake ones)

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow those crappie are absolute monsters for the west side of Washington! I have won several trout tournaments on offut lake when I was younger, my parents were parts of the goldwing touring association and we held our annual tournament there every year. I won the kids decision seven years running and then the adult division 2 more years after that. Won a couple poker tournaments in the camp ground too on the same trip :thumbsup2: on the left side of the resort dock about 30' out there is a deep pocket the trout will hole up in mid day, casting from the dock I would drop yellow garlic power bait ball tipped with night crawler to the bottom and leave the line slack and walk up to the tables and watch. Five minutes or so and I would see the rod bend and go get my fish. I think my best day I pulled 27 trout out of that hole. Great memories for me and my brothers every year and dad was always happy to see us doing so well fishing. Looks like a grand weekend building up some dad points!

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Agree.

Tops: Cutthroat trout in Yellowstone lake, wild browns, rainbows, goldens (not the fake ones)

Yep, and it depends on the hatchery also,

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Agree.

We call the stocked fish oat mealers, same color same bland taste, but smoke em up with a wet brown sugar brine and mesquite they are pretty tasty. I bone then out and mix with a little mayo for a smoky fish spread on Ritz crackers, do the same think with the pinks from the carbon and Puyallup rivers and it's pretty rewarding. Trout guts are crawfish bait, pink carcasses after filleting are crab bait. Better salmon I keep the carcass and boil it down for fish head soup and fish stock

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norman89 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Agree.

We call the stocked fish oat mealers, same color same bland taste, but smoke em up with a wet brown sugar brine and mesquite they are pretty tasty. I bone then out and mix with a little mayo for a smoky fish spread on Ritz crackers, do the same think with the pinks from the carbon and Puyallup rivers and it's pretty rewarding. Trout guts are crawfish bait, pink carcasses after filleting are crab bait. Better salmon I keep the carcass and boil it down for fish head soup and fish stock

Indeed on most everything but I’ve yet to make fish head soup, got a recipe? :thumbsup2:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://youtu.be/gPH5amHJzw8

https://youtu.be/k15-2hiCXAg

These are the 2 I have tried so far and both have been pretty good, I think I like Andrew from the wild north a bit more just real simple can be made on the shore or bank easily on a cold day and really warms you up, kind of like a bone broth. It's actually pretty interesting to me how wasteful our culture is with fish, I grew up with fillet off the meat and toss the rest. Since delving more and more into wilderness living and survival it seems we are one of very few cultures that don't utilize all the fish. I recently tried fried crappie roe, I won't ever be throwing that away with the gut pile again! Tasty!

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh man that video made me cringe a few time...

long way to scale it
they way he fillet it
needs to boil fish in water, then strain it and add whatever
LASTLY THAT DAMN MICROWAVE!! who the hell ever has it that low. get rid of that soffit and raise everything

OH YA

https://imgur.com/a/vN9rH8j

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norman89 wrote:
https://youtu.be/gPH5amHJzw8

https://youtu.be/k15-2hiCXAg

These are the 2 I have tried so far and both have been pretty good, I think I like Andrew from the wild north a bit more just real simple can be made on the shore or bank easily on a cold day and really warms you up, kind of like a bone broth. It's actually pretty interesting to me how wasteful our culture is with fish, I grew up with fillet off the meat and toss the rest. Since delving more and more into wilderness living and survival it seems we are one of very few cultures that don't utilize all the fish. I recently tried fried crappie roe, I won't ever be throwing that away with the gut pile again! Tasty!

Thanks much, I am going to check this out when I have a little bit more time and a nice carcass.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next