Switch to full style
Your hunting and fishing destination!
Post a reply

First time Turkey Hunting - Suggestions Wanted

Mon May 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Heading out with a co-worker next week for my first turkey hunt. Picked up turkey tags today with a few boxes of shells to tryout. CZ Reaper Magnum 12ga arrives Wednesday, will mount a Holosun red dot, and get it sighted in and patterned ASAP.

Will plan to run the upper barrel at 50yds and the under barrel at 25yds.

Any suggestions on locating/finding the birds? Types or brand of calls that work well? Been YouTubing like a mofo.

Re: First time Turkey Hunting - Suggestions Wanted

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:13 am

What GMU? Wet side? good luck, sizes of flocks are not worth chasing.... east side... I like to quietly hike until I find them visually, set up and call them closer. If it's public land be 10000% sure what you're shooting at. Most times that I hunt public areas above Spokane I run into other guys at least a few times a day and some of them sit and call very convincingly. camo every thing. turkeys are super underrated and smart. if you give them any chance to run, they will. Slate call is your best all around value, as you can do many things chirp, cluck, draw out the wounds.. but its a two handed affair. a push box is almost cheating but allows only one hand to be needed... turkey hunting is not easy so plan on spending a good amount of time looking before you bag one. also I have usually had much better luck in spring not fall seasons

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:13 am

The best advice? look at the state data on how many are harvested where from last year.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 am

I just go to Safeway, I don't even have to call them in when i go Organic. They just lay there and you pick them up.

Last time i shot a Turkey at Safeway they got all bent out of shape even though i showed them my tag! Liberal Pussies, they don't like to kill their own Animals.

It's Ok when they are Packaged and their hands are clean though. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:22 am

Go hunting for something else...........turkeys will cross the road right in front of you. Off season though, so there is that.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Red-Red-Wine resurrected a thread, eh....

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 am

Well, the trip in May went well even though I did not not harvest a turkey. What I did learn was how to call and track. This was an invaluable learning experience and I'm 100% ready for next spring.

I called several turkeys out of hiding but they ran right past me. Hunting buddy says I can call for him anytime as he's never seen Toms and Jakes get so active from a call. I spooked turkeys three different times, I've got to be more patient (wait at least 1hr before moving). My call brings them in too quickly, heck most of the time they run behind me by 50yds or so. I need to play "hard to get". One day I even had two big Toms call me from across the valley for over an hour. They weren't willing to cross. Buddy texts me a while later and says a pack of coyotes are coming my way due to all of the banter. One of the big lessons I learned is pay attention to the wildlife. Had crows circling 50yds away and didn't think anything of it until I got up from my blind and a jake took off out of the bushes.

All in all a great experience. BTW - hunting buddy bagged two in the early spring but so nothing on our trip in late May.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Tight choke, 20ga, aim for the head, wait until they've bobbed a few times and put their heads up to look around then blast it.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Updated
Last edited by BlDtyLry on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 pm

Got one this spring. They were not talking much but I was able to stalk this one. Head shot at 35yds running away from me.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:38 pm

BlDtyLry wrote:Got one this spring. They were not talking much but I was able to stalk this one.

Congrats !!! :thumbsup2:

Had to be a good feeling after missing last year....you learn quickerly :bigsmile:

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:40 pm

This was my second season and I learned even more. May try this fall.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:54 pm

That thing looks huge, what did it weigh after cleaning?

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:01 pm

14lbs before cooking.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Perfect size.

Too large takes too long to cook, & dries out.

Nicely done ! :thumbsup2:
Post a reply