Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Small Bass/Lake Boats 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the more and more camping my family I do, we tend to be around nice little lakes. However I have never been a boat guy, as my friends have had them, and thats worked out well for me! :thumbsup2: Recently Ive been thinking I want a small, light boat I can (mostly) bass fish with, but can also fish some trout and kokanee too if Im able.
I am not opposed to aluminum boats, but the smallish, cheap ones are V-hull and not very stable. I want to be to stand up ideally. I dont tend to find too many flat bottom John boats. Having one witha small trailer is ok, as I may not always be towing my trailer, but I mostly plan on towing my travel trailer, and being able to put the boat on lumber rack on top of my truck. So I was able to find these little guys. Twin hull, dual electric motors on either side, transom for a little kicker, super stable, and I think I could even rig a small platform to bow fish which is a something else Id like it to do if possible.
Any one have any experience with these? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

10ft Twin Troller:
https://freedomelectricmarine.com/

One for sale locally, good price and hard to find, so might snag this:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/ ... 40389.html

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another option that would probably save you some $$$ is to look for a used 8' Livingston dinghy. They're a bit heavy to handle by yourself, but easy with 2 people and they're very stable. I picked up one on CL for $300 including oars and a 90-degree rotating motor mount. I've probably put another $200 into it with seats and rod holders, but $500 for a small lake fishing boat isn't bad at all.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Another option that would probably save you some $$$ is to look for a used 8' Livingston dinghy. They're a bit heavy to handle by yourself, but easy with 2 people and they're very stable. I picked up one on CL for $300 including oars and a 90-degree rotating motor mount. I've probably put another $200 into it with seats and rod holders, but $500 for a small lake fishing boat isn't bad at all.

Livingstons are everywhere and a good boat, just too heavy for what Im looking for. Great idea though. Wanting to be able to get it up and on to the top of my truck. My wife may be able to help at times, but that isnt a lot of help. Livingstons are great little boats, just pretty damn heavy.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 12ft livingston that I put cedar decking on so its a nice flat platform to walk around on. I put two swiveling pedestal on seats also. I made the decking in smaller sections so they can be pulled up one at a time to stow things underneath. I have a electric trolling motor and a 15hp suzuki 4 stroke also.

I know its too heavy for you, but its very nice for our needs.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
I have a 12ft livingston that I put cedar decking on so its a nice flat platform to walk around on. I put two swiveling pedestal on seats also. I made the decking in smaller sections so they can be pulled up one at a time to stow things underneath. I have a electric trolling motor and a 15hp suzuki 4 stroke also.

I know its too heavy for you, but its very nice for our needs.

It is too heavy for me, but some pics would sure be handy! I like seeing Jon Boats and such converted or decked out for purposed fishing. Always amazed at the ingenuity of some people.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10 ft, lightweight aluminum boats are very unstable. I pulled a guy out of lake tarboo this year who bent over the side to wash his hands, and his 10 ft aluminum boat puked him over the side. Had to yank him into my 9 ft Livingston. He was a fat bastard too.

No way I would take kids out on a 10 ft aluminum boat

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

Livingstons are everywhere and a good boat, just too heavy for what Im looking for. Great idea though. Wanting to be able to get it up and on to the top of my truck. My wife may be able to help at times, but that isnt a lot of help. Livingstons are great little boats, just pretty damn heavy.

Sounds like you need to stop lifting Keystones and start lifting weights! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, there are ways around the weight issue when you need to lift a Livingston by yourself. You can mount some wheels on it to roll it to where you want, and you can use a ramp and a come-along to get it up onto your lumber rack. I don't know that you're going to find many lightweight boats that you can lift yourself and still provide the stability of a Livingston. Most of those small, light craft have a tendency to flip easily. I do like that one you posted though; if you end up buying it, be sure to post a review!

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:29 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Weld 2 rollers on top of your lumber rack at the back and mount a small winch at the front by your cab. Let the winch do the lifting for you. 10ft Livingston would fit nicely up there.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Weld 2 rollers on top of your lumber rack at the back and mount a small winch at the front by your cab. Let the winch do the lifting for you. 10ft Livingston would fit nicely up there.

This is absolutely the way to go. You'll never regret having a Livingston. You can literally stand on the gunwhale/side and it won't tip over. I've got wheels on mine that make it super easy to move down to the water. Two rollers on the tailgate and into the bed it goes. If you are going to be standing, or have little kids hopping around in the boat, you can't beat the Livingstons.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Why do you want to stand? I use a kyack. I can car top it since my old cars have gutters or I can put it on top of one of my 4wd or even lash it to a small trailer plus it is easy to paddle. Heck you could even go with a canoe and mount an outrigger.......that would allow you to stand and cast.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:33 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm being jager likes to get a little tipsy when fishing. Tipsy + canoe/kayak = bad times. :bigsmile:

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
I'm being jager likes to get a little tipsy when fishing. Tipsy + canoe/kayak = bad times. :bigsmile:

While it is entirely true, that while fishing the very first thing I catch is a buzz, I do have a reason. I want to be able to blowfish with it to. Near me is one of the only Western lakes with carp, and I want to stunt their population. Kayak doesnt fill that role. Also, good fishing kayaks are $1k easy, so not exactly cheap.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only a scuba diver would Bowfish out of a 10' aluminum boat. If you decide to do that, I would really like to be there on the beach with a lawn chair and a cooler of beer to watch.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Only a scuba diver would Bowfish out of a 10' aluminum boat. If you decide to do that, I would really like to be there on the beach with a lawn chair and a cooler of beer to watch.

Dude, click the links above. Not a 10' aluminum boat. I have no desire for one as stated above as they are NOT stable. Maybe, maybe a 10'ish flat bottom Jon Boat.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, sorry bud. My friends in Moses lake who are serious bowfishermen told me a 14' is minimum. A 16' is much better. If you take a couple of friends, then an 18'. This is based on stability, and on having enough room to shoot.

If you like swimming a 10' is probably fine.

Just passing on the advice of people with more experience than me.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next