Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Another cougar story from Oregon 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the cat kind of tale, not the ladies-of-a-certain-age kind. :wink05:

For anyone who hunts in northern Oregon, more info on what the mountain lions are up to in those parts.

A hunter near Mt. Hood recently encountered a group of 3 cats that showed little fear of humans. He ended up dispatching one of them after fearing he might be on their menu. More details -- https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/10/hunter_kills_advancing_cougar.html

A cougar killed a hiker in the Mt. Hood area a month or so ago.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Dude is lucky he saw the cats coming. Sometimes they do not give themselves away until the very last minute. By then, it may be too late.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:
Dude is lucky he saw the cats coming. Sometimes they do not give themselves away until the very last minute. By then, it may be too late.

Maybe they have had easy success several times, and decided they didn't need stealth?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Possible.

My head is on a constant swivel when I am out in the "wild". We are part of the food chain, like it or not.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago a friend & I were hunting up by Brown's Ck up in the Skokomish watershed and encountered 2 young Toms that had tracking & circling around us. We got back to back & leveled our guns at them just waiting for them to make their move. One jumped out at my friend & he shot it & the other one ran off.
That was the only encounter I'd had but times the hair on the back of my neck would stand on end knowing I was being watched by something.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 pm

I have cougars up on White Pass. I am not too concerned after all I live there and they know my scent...besides they have the hunters from the city to go after. Had one killing deer and elk a half mile above the cabin and yes I saw it when I was hunting. Usually it is the damned city folks that are the problem not the cats.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
I have cougars up on White Pass. I am not too concerned after all I live there and they know my scent...besides they have the hunters from the city to go after. Had one killing deer and elk a half mile above the cabin and yes I saw it when I was hunting. Usually it is the damned city folks that are the problem not the cats.

So they "know your scent" and leave you alone, and only attack "damned city folks?"

You must be like Grizzly Adams or something dude, the Cougars won't mess with you. :bow:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Does it seem lately there’s more frequent attacks? Maybe it’s more people in the woods. Or more incidents reported. From 1890-2011, there were only around 20 fatal cougar attacks in the US apparently.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kick start my heart wrote:
Does it seem lately there’s more frequent attacks? Maybe it’s more people in the woods. Or more incidents reported. From 1890-2011, there were only around 20 fatal cougar attacks in the US apparently.

I bet its more a combo of things, than any one in particular.

More people in the woods, more housing encroaching further and further into their habitat, less game, etc..

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm

L_O_G wrote:

I bet its more a combo of things, than any one in particular.

More people in the woods, more housing encroaching further and further into their habitat, less game, etc..

Agreed!

I’m actually surprised we haven’t had any in my neighborhood. The deer and elk come down here. I’ve seen a cougar couple miles back behind my place on. Forest service road. My theory is the local dogs. There’s several dogs that just wander the neighborhood. Mostly lab sized, and one giant Doberman. Maybe they spook the big cats.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More people out there. Most of them defenseless. Cats are getting less afraid.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

its dumbshits thinking its all about them

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There I'd definitely less game out there. Less game, less cougar food equals alternative food source. Stories bbn like this one very seldom gets much attention and very little news coverage.

People who venture out not being armed are sitting ducks, easy pickings for an adult cougar.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]