Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Missed a bear today, but learned some valuable lessons 

Been hunting a little after work the past couple weeks. I’d scouted this spot for deer before the season initially, but seen both deer and bear sign in the area. Well today I found some sign that a bear had been through the area I’d posted up for deer. Followed the trail and fresh poop to a huge clear cut.

On the far end of the clear cut I see movement below the ridge (brushy ridge with thick timber on the other side). It’s a big ol’ black bear. I creep forward quietly to set a better line of sight. That bear starts moving towards the top of the ridge There’s no time to grab my range finder out of my pack. I guess 200-250 yards. I figure with a 100 yard zero, aim dead on and I’ll still be safe. I got a head/neck shot (between bushes). My scope is cranked up to 10x. I hold steady resting on the top of a stump. Breathing is good. I slowly squeeze the trigger. BOOM! Then I see a very scared bear cover ground and into the brush faster than I could believe. Checked for blood. I missed.

Well, the hilly clear cut fooled me. What I thought was 200-250 yards, was 382 yards after I checked with my range finder. So instead of having to hold over 4”-9” (with my zero), I would have had to hold about 32”. That felt so heartbreaking missing that bear. But I also felt stupid and irresponsible. I couldn’t have stalked closer without making a ton of noise, and I didn’t have time to check distance. It definitely was an ego killer. I think I’m a pretty good shot. I’m not a good guesser of distance thought by eyeballing it. Not knowing correct distance and hold over made me miss. Not from skill at pulling a trigger and shooting accurately. That really drove me nuts.

So here’s some humbling lessons I learned today:
-Sometimes things are further away than they seem. Different terrains, elevation differences, and conditions (it was raining) make it harder to guess. It’s one thing at a rifle range void of brush, hills, etc. It’s another in the field.
-A bear still looks pretty big in a scope almost 400 yards away. I figured if it was further away, it would be hard to see.
-Have your gear ready. If that rangefinder had been in my pocket, I would have had time to use it.
- 308 isn’t as flat shooting as I thought. I should really study up more of a ballistics chart for the round I use, and get to know that info.
-You don’t usually have time for a follow up shot if you miss in Western Washington. That bear went into some really thick stuff in the blink of an eye.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry you missed, but GREAT write-up! :thumbsup2:

I suck at guessing distances, too. :wink05:

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

range several items in your field before the wait so wherever the critter passes you already have a close to known range

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

400 yards with 308 and no experience is an unethical try. Glad you missed.

Get within 100 next time. Wrong caliber and way too far.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, congrats! You got some shooting in. Lots of hunters can't say the same. What happened to you is all part of the experience. You will learn from it, I guarantee you will never forget it. The event is just another building block in becoming a better hunter/shooter.

I can pretty much also guarantee that it won't be the last time you miss. That's why it's called hunting. Things are rarely ideal or totally predictable. You put in enough time and do it enough all sorts of goofy things will happen.

I'm happy for you. You did your scouting. You saw legal meat, got to stalk and take a shot, and learned from the experience. Quit being hard on yourself. Enjoy the hunt. Get back out there and get him!!!!

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:

Not true at all.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the AAR. 308 with a 180 gr bullet is a fine black bear killer. Like just about every round out there, shot placement is critical.
All my game killed has been on steep terrain to rolling hills in Montana but I always used iron sites and if I couldn't get within 150 yards, well, the game would be there tomorrow.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Not true at all.

I agree for the most part, that the unethical comment is untrue, in this particular case. The OP appears to have known holdover was required for the shot, and simply didn't estimate the range properly. Not an easy task in the field, but one gets better at it as time goes on. Often times even with rangefinding gear (which not everyone has), there isn't enough time between spotting game and time to shoot to check the range. Especially when stalking moving quarry, you and the target may be constantly moving.

As far as the .308 goes, it's plenty enough medicine to do the job at 400 yards, with good shot placement.

I might however suggest zeroing the rifle at 200-225 yards. That gives a little more fudge factor for longer shots. Also, I think that it is genera!ly more common for the average guy to over estimate ranges than underestimate. A 225 yard zero will allow nearly point blank hold out to 300 yards, on game size targets, normally being about 8 inches low with most bullets. After that the trajectory falls off pretty quick and precise ranging is mighty handy.

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Last edited by Traut on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:54 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I'm glad you had a chance at a bear.

I agree with Traut. If you plan to shoot off hand, your better off having a 200yd zero.
I suggest you get a small chest rig and consider some shooting sticks. A small chest rig will give you space to grab your items very quickly and shooting sticks are great when you can't get prone or don't have some kind of rest in the field.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:50 am
Profile WWW

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Not true at all.

:plusone:

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:51 am
Profile WWW

I thought I’d be ok with a 100 yard zero. I mostly hunt on the peninsula. I’ve hunted for about 27 years now. In that time most critters I’ve taken were within 120 yards. Actually, most were within 40 yards. It’s just so thick over here.

Going forward that range finder will be in my pocket, and if I’m remaining stationary, I’ll range several things in the area to know distances. I wasn’t really expecting to come upon that bear when I did. I’ve seen sign in that area before, but never the bear.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

check out this page: https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

This should help

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:

Ignorant statement...

-- Travis A Kisner

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

foothills wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Ignorant statement...

Pretty much.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:

"I'm glad you missed?" Really?

It's been quoted too many times to make a mod edit relevant but that statement bumps up against the good old #8 rule. Totally unnecessary.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next