Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Drt, how does it happen 

I've seen most people shoot a deer or elk and have to go chance it, these pro peoples are dropping deer at 600+ yards and instantly they are dead

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the deer I have killed havent went more than 2 yards. Shot placement is the primary factor. I'm not just talking about a double lung and heart shot either. Blast through a should and they will go down. Shoot them through the spine and they drop, etc. Bullet style, weight, caliber, all play into as well, but I probably dont have to explain how all those factors affect the efficacy of the shot.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:04 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I see the same on coyotes - on TV they can be running any which way and they can get them DRT.

Rarely seems to happen in the field for me, they always run at least a little bit with .223 and noslers.

I hope my new 6.5 creedmore will perform a little better.

Maybe they're using rounds that are a bit overkill for effect too? Or they pick the ones that are DRT and ditch videos of ones that run? You never know.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I will submit that it's a simple matter of efficacy due to experience and expertise in addition to making the published content more marketable.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:10 am
Profile WWW

Sorry, I should have been more clear on what I meant, late night indulgence would be to blame. What I mean is how the hell does animal #1 get a good gut shot and it jumps up and runs for 60 yards but animal #2 is dead before its head hits the ground, even if it's the same shot placement, at the same distance and caliber. I understand cavitation but shooting into the gut damages organs that dont cause instant death if ruined.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:10 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear on what I meant, late night indulgence would be to blame. What I mean is how the hell does animal #1 get a good gut shot and it jumps up and runs for 60 yards but animal #2 is dead before its head hits the ground, even if it's the same shot placement, at the same distance and caliber. I understand cavitation but shooting into the gut damages organs that dont cause instant death if ruined.

Ah, I misunderstood you.

I've wondered the same thing because I have experienced the same thing. I can only guess that it has to do with tiny differences in the animal or the actual bullet/placement/angle of impact etc.
Maybe a fragment hits something important one on animal and not another because it hits at an upward vs downward angle. Some animals have a stronger desire to live too, but you'd think those differences would be minor.

I would think a scientific answer would require an autopsy of sorts on each animal.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Animals are extremely resilient. I've seen a buck take a 30-378 through both lungs and heart to the point where when he was found, there was nothing but a red bubbly mess where both should have been. Fucker ran for 200 yards without a heart or either lungs. Yet I can also tell you a 300 win mag punch through the should doesnt result in DRT, but does crumple him up and they dont go anywhere. Some animals are tougher than other I suppose. True DRT is pretty hard to accomplish is the sense rhat you're looking for.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at how humans react to being shot. Those FBI agents in Miami a couple of decades ago pumped round after round into a guy(s) and he still ended up charging. Yet some people drop and die with a single similar shot.

Is it that those folks/animals have an adrenal gland advantage?

Some folks/animals have a stronger desire to live?

Reminds me of the guy from the concentration camps, Viktor Frank and his book "Man's Search for Meaning". You gotta have drive. And some do.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:51 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I was checking out frangible projectiles at SHOT... There was one booth that Mr MadPick and I stopped at that showed a phenomenal DRT ratio, but who knows how many non-DRT hits were not included.

They showed coyotes and at least one black bear curling up or stiffening up dropping on the spot. I am looking for the name of the exhibitor. gah... Maybe Mr MadPick remembers the name. The video was amazing.
This isn't the same as what you'd be looking for for a meat animal of course.

I lean towards the explanation of "identical" shot placement and trajectories having vastly different results being caused by there being no such thing as identicality on such terrifically complicated system as an animal's body and then adding in the variables external to the animal.
The only semi-sure DRT is a brain shot, but I've seen smaller animals up to coyote size take one right in the grey matter and still get some leg motion that moves them 20-30 feet. Porcupines are the worst for that. Their brains are small to begin with, so what seems like a perfect brain shot often just gets their attention for awhile.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
Maybe Mr MadPick remembers the name. The video was amazing.

Sorry, I don't remember the vendor name.

But I think they were selling hunting accessories and gadgets, not ammo or guns.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:42 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

MadPick wrote:
PMB wrote:
Maybe Mr MadPick remembers the name. The video was amazing.

Sorry, I don't remember the vendor name.

But I think they were selling hunting accessories and gadgets, not ammo or guns.

Ah, I thought it was one of the frangibles... Nope, just remembered. It was Mojo. Looking for it now.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:52 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

So sorry... Not frangible. Thought it was an amazing collection of DRT though.
Had a discussion with another frangible exhibitor later regarding the immense damage that their copper jacketed frangible would do to an animal.

https://youtu.be/JWWjjW4SLuw

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's some pretty SHITTY SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:::::

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next