Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 An idea for next year's NYD Shoot 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I've encouraged my sons to set aside an ammo can and mark it NYDS.
Throughout the coming year, they'll fill that can with the calibers that they'd like to shoot.

This year our "to shoot" can contained 5.56, 9mm, .40S&W, 54R, 22LR, ... I think one more. I knew that I wasn't going to be shooting, so the Dread Princess was tasked with all shooting duties this year, and she either used our ammo or offered up from our can. During the hustle and bustle, she said she might have forgotten to offer our ammo to every owner of the firearm that she was getting the feel of.
cmica turned us down flat, and we didn't have 6.5 Creedmoor. We'll be making that up in savory cooked dishes several times over the coming year I hope. We've already added a few calibers to the list of ammo that will go in the can for next year.
I wasn't in there for most of the other shooting done by the Dreaded One, so I don't know how many or which folks let her shoot their ammo without taking some of ours in exchange.

Anyway, just wanted to suggest setting up a special NYDS ammo can and stocking it up over the coming year to show the appreciation to other folks for allowing us to touch their fine Tools of Freedom.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was actually considering something like this on the drive back (long, plenty of time).

I ended up having to park pretty far away comparatively, and space was at a premium, so I had ammo for every gun I shot, but people were more than happy to let me shoot theirs rather than see me run back and forth from my vehicle like some kind of gremlin.

I was wondering if we can have a table for "donation" ammo, which we would sort and keep track of. If anyone wanted to take a crack at a gun that they didn't bring ammo for they could pop over to the donation table and get X amount they think they need. People are encouraged to donate, and I would definitely be able to put up some to help get the pile started. This group is generous enough to make me look like a miser, so I'm not concerned about getting tapped out.

I would be willing to put some time into keeping track of it, and making sure any loose ammo is clean, sorted, and not all screwed up. I know I got a drawer in my sorter for odd number of rounds left in boxes, ammo I was using to benchmark dimensions, ammo I left on my table for some reason... all totally fine, just never ended up back in the box. Figure the NYS is a good way to give stuff like that a purpose for existence. Of course this would be kept seperate from NIB ammo or even ammo kept with all its friends.

Thoughts?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:23 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

entropicmass wrote:
I was actually considering something like this on the drive back (long, plenty of time).

I ended up having to park pretty far away comparatively, and space was at a premium, so I had ammo for every gun I shot, but people were more than happy to let me shoot theirs rather than see me run back and forth from my vehicle like some kind of gremlin.

I was wondering if we can have a table for "donation" ammo, which we would sort and keep track of. If anyone wanted to take a crack at a gun that they didn't bring ammo for they could pop over to the donation table and get X amount they think they need. People are encouraged to donate, and I would definitely be able to put up some to help get the pile started. This group is generous enough to make me look like a miser, so I'm not concerned about getting tapped out.

I would be willing to put some time into keeping track of it, and making sure any loose ammo is clean, sorted, and not all screwed up. I know I got a drawer in my sorter for odd number of rounds left in boxes, ammo I was using to benchmark dimensions, ammo I left on my table for some reason... all totally fine, just never ended up back in the box. Figure the NYS is a good way to give stuff like that a purpose for existence. Of course this would be kept seperate from NIB ammo or even ammo kept with all its friends.

Thoughts?

That's definitely an interesting idea. What could we do to avoid it just becoming a big grab bag for those who don't want to spend money on ammo to bring?

I brought a tall ammo can this year with some loaded AK and AR mags. Some extra loose .308, .45acp, .380acp etc even though I didn't bring any AK/AR's or guns in those extra calibers. The best advice I was given in the past was to bring a couple cool guns to share and plenty of ammo for the ones you want to try.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If everyone “pitches in” like most do... this shoot would be the most amazing event in shooting history.

It already ranks right up there already but as the original OP - the intention is to keep on giving.

Not everyone can save and bring tons of ammo but some can bring food, firearms, positive energy and one of the most important... time. Volunteering to help setup and cleanup. Help cooking and assisting as range help. It takes a community to put these types of shooting event for so many. Volunteering time is one of the most important.

I wholeheartedly agree that if everyone puts what they can into this event it will be so much better. Everyone has something to offer. Find what you can contribute and make these events so much better for the whole.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

entropicmass wrote:

Thoughts?

I am not opposed to the idea but doubt how it could be implemented effectively without abuse. If someone wants to shoot something i have and make plans to do it before hand (what do you want to try thread) i will gladly provide ammo. Thats just me though. Best way to implement would probably be "gate keepers" on either end who can keep an eye out for people that could be abusing it

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My personal idea would be in the event of a lack of tables: people that have smaller pickups could back up to the food/giveaway tables or close to the line. It would give extra space for whatever is needed.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a covered cargo trailer designated as playroom for kiddos. Dads and Moms can take turns shooting, munching or visiting.
We can even have teen daughters babysit for $$
Just throwing out some ideas to get ladies on the range instead of watching the kids at home.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

PrincesSKS wrote:
Maybe a covered cargo trailer designated as playroom for kiddos. Dads and Moms can take turns shooting, munching or visiting.
Just throwing out some ideas to get ladies on the range instead of watching the kids at home.

Save some $$ for more ammo, and just lock the kiddos in the cargo trailer. Just an idea.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More time for your Balrog to build an army..

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
PrincesSKS wrote:

Save some $$ for more ammo, and just lock the kiddos in the cargo trailer. Just an idea.

Duct tape has got to be cheaper than any sitter.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]