Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:10 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Remington 870 Magnum Fiasco 
Author Message
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Sat May 4, 2013
Posts: 4372
dreadi wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Glue and pin/brad. Will hold.


Perhaps. However, I'm not putting my name on a cracked/repaired forend of that nature. Maybe if it was at the rear but, this is at the front. You'd feel horrible if your nut busted your wood in the midst of trying to pop your wad.

That’s the right call Dana. Reputation is way more important than a few bucks.


Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:37 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 21357
Real Name: Paco X
Arisaka wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Glue and pin/brad. Will hold.


Perhaps. However, I'm not putting my name on a cracked/repaired forend of that nature. Maybe if it was at the rear but, this is at the front. You'd feel horrible if your nut busted your wood in the midst of trying to pop your wad.

That’s the right call Dana. Reputation is way more important than a few bucks.


I agree. And I am not pushing Dana to cut corners, hide things, or anything of that sort.

I personally would have no trouble trusting a fix like that AFTER I shouldered and shot 25-50 magnum rounds (pain) and saw nothing indicating failure. Waiting for other woodworkers/870 experts to weigh in on this. Most stress during racking, no?

_________________
Wear a lousy mask and no one says a thing.

Wear a neck gaiter and everyone suddenly is a filtration efficacy and efficiency expert.


Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:29 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14055
Real Name: John
dreadi wrote:
usrifle wrote:
That Corncob crack can be fixed pretty easily, it's not much effort.
How can you say that without knowing any details about it?


Because i have glued and pinned stocks before, and that forearm will never see the shock or recoil forces a stock will.
I glued and pinned an M1 Garand stock that was was split from the underside front of the trigger housing opening to the top rear of the receiver cutout.
I fired hundreds of rounds through that rifle after that with no issue. If the repair is done properly, that area will be stronger than the surrounding wood.

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma, Washington
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 6717
usrifle wrote:
dreadi wrote:
usrifle wrote:
That Corncob crack can be fixed pretty easily, it's not much effort.
How can you say that without knowing any details about it?


Because i have glued and pinned stocks before, and that forearm will never see the shock or recoil forces a stock will.
I glued and pinned an M1 Garand stock that was was split from the underside front of the trigger housing opening to the top rear of the receiver cutout.
I fired hundreds of rounds through that rifle after that with no issue. If the repair is done properly, that area will be stronger than the surrounding wood.


That's awesome.

_________________
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/


Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Kirkland
Joined: Sun Apr 7, 2013
Posts: 2982
Seems like that’s a decision between the customer and the gunsmith...some customers might want the repaired original. Others might want the plastic replacement. Either way, happy customer cause they get what they want.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:23 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma, Washington
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 6717
edogg wrote:
Seems like that’s a decision between the customer and the gunsmith...some customers might want the repaired original. Others might want the plastic replacement. Either way, happy customer cause they get what they want.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


and the best part of that is, I'm the smith and the customer.

_________________
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/


Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Spanaway WA
Joined: Wed Jul 6, 2011
Posts: 5461
Real Name: Hugo Stiglitz
You may get a 590A1 soon for a touch of love BUT do NOT let the Mossy near the 870s or you will wake up to a bunch of Tri-star and NEF Handi rifles.....I warned you.

I have trying to settle a Gang War in my safe between a Mossy Cruiser & 590A1 and it has NOT been pretty....


Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:36 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Sat May 4, 2013
Posts: 4372
dreadi wrote:
edogg wrote:
Seems like that’s a decision between the customer and the gunsmith...some customers might want the repaired original. Others might want the plastic replacement. Either way, happy customer cause they get what they want.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


and the best part of that is, I'm the smith and the customer.

Well then, you can do whatever you damn well please!


Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:50 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Kirkland
Joined: Sun Apr 7, 2013
Posts: 2982
Arisaka wrote:
dreadi wrote:
edogg wrote:
Seems like that’s a decision between the customer and the gunsmith...some customers might want the repaired original. Others might want the plastic replacement. Either way, happy customer cause they get what they want.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


and the best part of that is, I'm the smith and the customer.

Well then, you can do whatever you damn well please!
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:45 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 21357
Real Name: Paco X
Man you do good work, no doubt about that. Your integrity is without question.

_________________
Wear a lousy mask and no one says a thing.

Wear a neck gaiter and everyone suddenly is a filtration efficacy and efficiency expert.


Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma, Washington
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 6717
zombie66 wrote:
You may get a 590A1 soon for a touch of love BUT do NOT let the Mossy near the 870s or you will wake up to a bunch of Tri-star and NEF Handi rifles.....I warned you.

I have trying to settle a Gang War in my safe between a Mossy Cruiser & 590A1 and it has NOT been pretty....
I can separate from East from the West. But I don’t know if contraception will be viable without neutering.


BLACK HAMMER ARMS
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

_________________
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/


Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Sat May 4, 2013
Posts: 4372
dreadi wrote:
zombie66 wrote:
You may get a 590A1 soon for a touch of love BUT do NOT let the Mossy near the 870s or you will wake up to a bunch of Tri-star and NEF Handi rifles.....I warned you.

I have trying to settle a Gang War in my safe between a Mossy Cruiser & 590A1 and it has NOT been pretty....
I can separate from East from the West. But I don’t know if contraception will be viable without neutering.


BLACK HAMMER ARMS
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

If something has to be neutered, make sure it is a rock-crunching mossberg, and not a classic wingmaster.


Last edited by Arisaka on Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:21 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Downtown Newcastle
Joined: Sat Mar 5, 2016
Posts: 2900
Real Name: Traut
THE Cerakote King of Tacoma wrote:
There are elk waiting for me to show and drop in my lap. ......... The sooner the elk gets killed, the sooner I can get back to this project.

Wow, so this is gonna take awhile! Hope they don't die of old age first! :popcorn: :bigsmile:

Spoiler: show
IF you get an elk, I'll dig up a rifle for you to Cerakote. Spoiler/spoiler, gonna do it anyway eventually, just thought the incentive couldn't hurt. Good luck Bro.

_________________
I always thought growing old would take a lot longer.....

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.


Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma, Washington
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 6717
Yes, it’s definitely taking a while. Too much going on in the BHA world. Like this tub of stuff

Image

_________________
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/


Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma, Washington
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 6717
The past ten days have been overly busy with a foster Malinois we took in. He required a lot of time so I don’t get as much work done as I normally would have. He with another foster now that is also an experienced trainer.

However, somethings have been in motion.

This barrel needed work before finishing.

Image


This gun will be featuring Elite Blackout.
Image


And the first coat of BLO has been applied to the stock.
Image


Dog tax.
Image


BLACK HAMMER ARMS
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

_________________
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/


Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron

Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.754s | 17 Queries | GZIP : Off ]