Switch to full style
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/
Post a reply

The Cerakote King of Tacoma

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Having spent the weekend building and plumbing my spray area, I decided to get the airbrush and DuraCoat out. Since this is a new setup from my previous setup I wanted to test it out some some non guns items. Cabelas had a three pack of knives on sale that were perfect for this.

DuraCoat has a pallet of colors called “Tactical”. They are very flat matte and reflect less light than their matte clear coat.

Before

After
Last edited by dreadi on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Spray Coatings

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:41 pm

Cool!

What fun to play with :thumbsup2:

I'll see if I have some crutches you can make tactical (just kidding :bigsmile: )

Seriously impressed with your results, not flipping you spit with the crutch reference :thumbsup2:

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:41 am

I had a four color combination of those colors put on my M1A/M21-style rifle and optic. Even though the tactical ones are flat(er) IIRC the more coats used the shinier it gets.

7.62precision in AK did mine. It would be nice to have a local guy who can do stuff like this. Looking forward to seeing your (continuing) work (I've seen some of your other stuff)

Here's a link to the guy mentioned above; my rifle project is showcased under Rommel's Book (you can view it by selecting "Rommel's Book" from the menu on the right).

http://www.7-62precision.com/

I have an M4 I'd like to someday have done in a similar pattern but with more PNW colors. This pattern was meant to simulate an ATACS-AU pattern but with a touch more green. The M4 I'd like to see with colors more akin to ATACS-FG. He tried it on the AK shown under my gun, but the greens came out like big fields of green and I don't think he pulled it off as nicely.

I realize each project will have different costs depending on number of colors and the kind of surfaces on the weapon, but maybe once you get rolling you can show some finished projects and the costs charged?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:03 am

NWGunner wrote:Cool!

What fun to play with :thumbsup2:

I'll see if I have some crutches you can make tactical (just kidding :bigsmile: )

Seriously impressed with your results, not flipping you spit with the crutch reference :thumbsup2:

Thanks. I think you'd enjoy a DuraPearl on those crutches http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=889

jukk0u wrote:I had a four color combination of those colors put on my M1A/M21-style rifle and optic. Even though the tactical ones are flat(er) IIRC the more coats used the shinier it gets.

7.62precision in AK did mine. It would be nice to have a local guy who can do stuff like this. Looking forward to seeing your (continuing) work (I've seen some of your other stuff)

Here's a link to the guy mentioned above; my rifle project is showcased under Rommel's Book (you can view it by selecting "Rommel's Book" from the menu on the right).

http://www.7-62precision.com/

I have an M4 I'd like to someday have done in a similar pattern but with more PNW colors. This pattern was meant to simulate an ATACS-AU pattern but with a touch more green. The M4 I'd like to see with colors more akin to ATACS-FG. He tried it on the AK shown under my gun, but the greens came out like big fields of green and I don't think he pulled it off as nicely.

I realize each project will have different costs depending on number of colors and the kind of surfaces on the weapon, but maybe once you get rolling you can show some finished projects and the costs charged?

Your are correct. More layers means more sheen. Which colors did he use on your M1A?

The A-TACS FG looks like it does some interesting blending into different areas of light. I have a pallet idea based on a elk kill scene from two seasons ago.

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:33 pm

dreadi wrote: Which colors did he use on your M1A?

Brown and green :bigsmile:

No seriously... I dug up the old invoice... this was done some time ago... to see if I could find the names of the colors... no joy; that discussion was had with the painter in long-since deleted emails.

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Lol...yeah....One thing about Coyote Brown...doesn't look at all Brown to me.

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:56 pm

and look how dark their "OD green" is

Spray Coatings

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:01 am

The swatch for the Tactical OD Green is darker. Perhaps it gets darker with more layers that go on thinner than I was putting it on.

And now for something a bit different.

This is the third knife in the S&W set from Cabela’s. I purposely added more hardener than I normally do so I could get a higher gloss from Primary Red.

Before

After
Last edited by dreadi on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Graphite Black Cerakote upper and lower.

The upper receiver is the same one that I previously milled out the ejection port for 458 SOCOM.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Your milling looks outstanding! I couldn't even tell it was modified until I saw the other pics. Very nice work!

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:10 pm

That finish looks great Dana. Nice work. (and you know I'm a picky ass bastard who wouldn't say good job without meaning it - LOL)

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks, guys.

Yes, Mark. You’re one of my benchmark people.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:16 pm

If these guys can coexist, so can we.

Projects are on the horizon.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:34 pm

dreadi wrote:Image

Smells like Fjordforder . . . ? :party1:

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Nice stash :thumbsup2:

Let me guess, the Russian Army stuff is for Fjofo ? :bigsmile: