Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Combat Shooting Basics 

I've posted this a few times over the years, and have been asked to post it again. All my classes are based on this philosophy. These are needed skills...in my opinion, basic necessary skills.

Here's my take on what constitutes combat shooting basics...

Speed and accuracy work together, which is to get hits as soon as possible.
Pressing the trigger at the speed needed to control the sights to hit your target is what it's all about.

If the threat is in anyway difficult to hit, you will need to slow down on the trigger and focus more on sight alignment.
If the threat is close and easy to hit, then this is no time for a bullseye type group, in fact, you need to be pounding shots into the threat as fast as possible and stop the threat NOW!
Most of the time you will be somewhere between the two above examples.

Practice this process slow at first....you can't train the brain with speed.

Your decision on how fast vs. how slow to press the trigger, how much front sight vs. combat look through and/or body index is based on two things, your perception of the threat situation AND your perception of your skill with your equipment.

If you practice only one trigger press and sight alignment you are a target shooter and not preparing yourself properly for the street, and doing yourself an injustice.
Recognize the need for different levels of trigger press and sight alignment, practice at those levels and in between. In the fight have the ability to adapt to the situation smoothly not to just survive, but to decisively win.

NRA Life Member

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like that. Makes a lot of sense.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

speed and accuracy are mutually antagonistic.
there are 3 stops to the threat (difficulty level/time-to-complete is inversely related to effectiveness *per round*):
1. always effective = electrical stop (hit the off switch on the computer/ "T-zone"/brain)
2. usually effective = mechanical stop (drain the fluid from the system) holes close together in most parts of the body are not as effective as holes farther apart
3. sometimes effective = psychological stop, put a lot of rounds on threat while simultaneously gaining tactical advantage, such as distance/cover
At a given distance, do you know how many seconds you need to draw and complete a T-zone shot?
If not, or the time is "too long" in your judgement, then, while you practice that, ensure that you also practice draw+5 rounds in a body-sized target in 3-5 seconds.
If you are not there yet, or can only practice *one* stop, go for the psychological stop, and practice until you can draw, put 5 rounds on body-sized target, while moving to cover, with 0 misses, in 3-5 seconds.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm

I used to belive they were solid mutually antagonistic, but not as much anymore.

Years ago when my dad was going through his bout with Parkinsons, he was on a program at OHSU with experimental medication...anyway, was able to talk to the docs about how the brain works in taking in, retaining, and spitting the info back out...in essence, how to train the brain.

After years of applying it to firearms training, I saw a marked improvement in not only skill retention but with accuracy and speed. Yes, its still mutually antagonistic...but not as much as I once thought. It can be improved upon. The main two limitations are physical ability and how healthy the brain is.

As for placement of shots on the target...keep your shots above the nipple line and no wider than the head, as that's where all the torso vitals are.

If you don't get the snot locker, as you said...and I very much agree after assisting with autopsies for some years...I like a spread of shots. I prefer 6" which is why I train with and use in all my classes...6" circles...but no larger than 8". By not taking out the brain one must lower the blood pressure of the threat so they faint really really fast...ya can't do that with all the shots going in one hole.

With proper training of the brain, from concealment I've been getting seasoned shooters putting 3-5 rounds in a 6-8" circle in under 4 sec., and more often than not...that's on the first day.

The one thing that hinders more people in their shooting training, is thinking they can't do a certain thing because they were told/taught they couldn't.

If rutilate is reading this...he was calling BS on one of my drills...that being able to make a shot in the 6" circle, while being aimed in at 1/3 sec. After 3 tines he was down to .24 consistently...and out to 10 yards.

I tell all my students, take that small box, drag it into the woods, set it on fire, collect the insurance and go get ammo and train.

Sometimes I really feel the way some if us were trained years ago has been a major road block to being efficient.

NRA Life Member

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The body cannot go where the brain has not been.
mindset > practice > gear.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:52 am

Anytime one uses a firearm, it is another repetition to train the brain.

There's no such thing as "Muscle Memory " it is the subconscious that you're using. The thing with the subconscious, it doesn't know right vs wrong, it just takes in what the conscious side gives it. Which truly makes the saying...practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Example, first time you drove a stick shift...learning was probably slow and awkward. Now, you can drive around a business or residential area looking for an address, while up and down shifting, and not think a thing about it...that's the subconscious.
Docs said, if you could hear the conversation between the subconscious and the conscious, it would go like this; Hey conscious, I got the car, you just find the address.

This is why it is so important to train slow at first...as I put it, painfully slow, to make sure the subconscious is being trained properly. It will only spit out what was put it...it's either quality in and quality out, or garbage in and garbage out.

There should be no difference between practice, training, or casual shooting...all the same things must occur to keep the brain going in the right direction.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Cerberus Group on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another car driving analogy (useful because almost universally relatable, and because statistically you are far more likely to be injured in/by a car vs a firearm):
When you first start driving, your mental focus is on safe operation of the machine. As you gain experience, you begin to be able to scan for traffic conditions/threats. This dual focus in the defensive shooting/war fighting discipline is often called situational awareness. Without it, mechanical aptitude is unlikely to save you.
You win every gunfight you don't have to engage in, and survive every auto accident you avoid.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking forward to seeing what I can get out of the Run the Gun pistol class in September.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:57 am

The most recent review of Run the Gun was posted on here a few days ago, it should give you an idea of what to expect. That being, skills that I'm finding are not being worked on to the point where, as quantsuff pointed out, you can focus on your surroundings, and not concern yourself with what's in your hands.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=93258

NRA Life Member

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]