Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 73  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of them!

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been working on this 2000 GMC truck that i bought here a while back
Parking brake hasnt been working, cables were rusted to shit so i replaced them a couple months back...
Still no luck on that parking brake so i thought "well, maybe something else down the line is bad", and popped the wheels and rotors off. Backing plates were pretty rusty, springs and stuff was on it's way out, one of the wheel seals was slowly leaking...
So i figured while im up in it i better replace the bearings too...
Ordered new parking brake shoes and hardware, new backing plates, seals, bearings, rear end gasket.
Went to town on it this afternoon. All was fairly easy until i got to the bearings. Bloody hell. I had the bearing puller and slide hammer rented from the parts store. Left side went relatively easy, had to heat up the end of the hub and it gave pretty quick, couple of minutes with the slide hammer and it was out.
Right side put up a good fight. About 20 minutes of beating on it, heating on it, cussing at it... but come out it did. Probably going to have pretty sore wrists tomorrow....
Glad i changed them bearings out, before the change when i spun the axles i could hear quite a bit of chatter, now there isnt any. Parking brakes are still a mistery, ran out of daytime. But i got her all sealed up, just need to refill the rear end with gear oil and throw the wheels back on and play with them cables.
Haven't had my ass handed to me by a car like this in a while.
And i snagged a new (open box) double din toch screen stereo for this truck for $40 off CL, 2 minutes away from home.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice CL snag! :thumbsup2:

“ Haven't had my ass handed to me by a car like this in a while.” :ROFLMAO:

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its taken more hours than I want to count but getting close to having my fence built

Pallet rack beams for posts, 6" concrete curb, 6' fence boards

Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is an excellent fence design! You eliminated the weak links of rotting posts and fence slats rotting due the end-grain being in contact with the ground. That fence should last a good long time!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
That is an excellent fence design! You eliminated the weak links of rotting posts and fence slats rotting due the end-grain being in contact with the ground. That fence should last a good long time!

I'm hoping, 1 and done with this fence. :bigsmile:

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:29 pm

I was doing a load of laundry the yesterday.... went to put the load in the dryer - noticed that the lint filter that sits right inside and below the door wasn't going into place/fully seating as it should.... Got a flashlight and stuck my head in to investigate --- massive build up of lint in there.....

So -- a few weeks back I had seen a vid by 'Words of Advise' - a furnace/ac/washer/dryer repair guy - that was talking thru how to fix 'most' problems on a dryer --- as luck would have it, he was working on the EXACT model dryer that I have! He mentioned how lint would build up there and cover the moisture sensor and cause to not work properly and showed how to dismantle the dryer. So, I was 'kinda' confident that I could take it apart and deal with it.....

But --- I was too lazy to dig that far into the dryer - so I tried 'easier' ways to get the lint out --- chop sticks, rulers - what ever I could find to fit in the ~5/8" slot that the filter sits in.... nothing really worked. Thought maybe the crevice tool for the vac would fit in there --- nope - too wide..... Then I remembered that that I had picked up a set of vac tools at a garage sale long ago that haven't been used.... went and dug around the garage for them and found the 8" long x ~1/2" crevice tool that looked like it should work. Put it on the end of the vac.... only to be annoyed that now the tool fixed to the vac hose wouldn't fit inside the door opening and work into the filter slot.... Kinda bummed.... but then I THOUGHT thru the problem..... Insert the crevice tool FIRST and THEN attach the vac hose! Such a simple solution for bigger problem..... Worked great - got 'most' of the lint out of the slot and filter seated the way it should. Huge bonus that the moisture sensor actually works properly again!

I'm still a bit annoyed at how much lint is still visible and stuck to all the sides of the air chase.... thinking I 'should' go back and pull the front panel off to clean it out --- part of my OCD kicking in.... Kind of surprised there is no mention of this 'routine' maintenance that 'should' be done --- even more surprised that I've made it 22 years on this dryer without it being an issue --- I can only imagine how bad some other dryers are built up with lint....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:52 am

Got sidetracked yesterday.... what I 'thought' would be a simple fix is turning into what will be a multi day ordeal with low odds of success..... and really messy to boot.

I used my electric chainsaw last weekend to slab some logs -- worked great - just chewed right thru them. I noticed a lot of build up on the chain and it looked pretty dry... odd because it was using up the oil.... Pulled the bar and cleared out the oil holes and grooves.... didn't fix it -- poked wires into the oil ports to clear.... still no luck... So, I start to dig into it pulling it apart.... goddamn those McCullochs are such a chinese puzzle box.... I figured the pump was still good since the saw would blow oil out the fan output vent -- figured it had to be a hose leak (figure the saw is 20+ years old) -- took it apart enough to get deeper into see whats going on - destroying a snap ring in the process since I don't have a pliers :frust: Got in deep enough to get the oil tank out only to have the hose break... I've got hoses to replace it, but the goddamn design of the 'hose thru a hole in the tank' --- I have two size hoses with the right ID --- to OD on one is too small and too big on the other to fit the hole in the tank --- need to figure that one out..... Thats the input hose to the pump..... I realized that the real problem is most likely with the output hose..... that is BURIED behind EVERYTHING - its going to take a full disassembly to get to and replace.

I'm pretty confident that I can find another snap ring.... but I'm thinking my odds are only ~20% that I'll be able to disassemble and get it back together again and working..... Its a shame because its a beast of an electric say --- 14 amp motor and solidly built. Good thing is that I have no $ into the saw if I kill it (or give up on it) so I'm just without a chainsaw.... Good news is two of my neighbors have picked up battery saws now, so I'll just have to sharpen a chain if I need to cut something --- they always fuk up their chains....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:16 am

Fukking with the chainsaw again today..... was able to remove the oil pump for it and sure as shit the tube was broken.... Trying to figure out how to get into it to replace this other tube --- its getting more baffling.... it 'looks' like there is a sub structure that should just lift out, but it doesn't move for shit --- I have no idea how they made it this strong when I only see one small screw ---- that is a tamper proof torx that I can't get out --- left to remove..... Realizing that the only hope to get it apart is to remove the chain brake spring and drum ----no idea how to do that.... Can't find any diagrams because its so old.... Thinking the odds of getting it back to operational have dropped below 5% at the moment ---- I'm gonna be so pissed to toss a killer corded chainsaw because of a 25cent tube.... :cussing: :angryfire: :cussing: :angryfire:

Anyone need a 14 amp electric motor for a project???

Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:02 pm

Goldwing maintenance. Brakes flush, coolant flush, oil change, final drive oil change, sparkplugs, TPMS bypass - sounds like nothing too extensive but I'm done with the day big time.

Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Fukking with the chainsaw again today..... was able to remove the oil pump for it and sure as shit the tube was broken.... Trying to figure out how to get into it to replace this other tube --- its getting more baffling.... it 'looks' like there is a sub structure that should just lift out, but it doesn't move for shit --- I have no idea how they made it this strong when I only see one small screw ---- that is a tamper proof torx that I can't get out --- left to remove..... Realizing that the only hope to get it apart is to remove the chain brake spring and drum ----no idea how to do that.... Can't find any diagrams because its so old.... Thinking the odds of getting it back to operational have dropped below 5% at the moment ---- I'm gonna be so pissed to toss a killer corded chainsaw because of a 25cent tube.... :cussing: :angryfire: :cussing: :angryfire:

Anyone need a 14 amp electric motor for a project???

Put it back together (if you can) and just squirt some all on the chain before/after a cut. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain...but you would probably still be using it next year and your blood pressure would be lower.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 15-round mag has an uncomfortable gap so I made a space filler.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:24 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice, Chuck. What material did you use, and how is it attached?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Nice, Chuck. What material did you use, and how is it attached?

A piece of scrap 2X1 sanded to shape and glued with E6000. FDE custom mixture by the wife.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Slick. Nice work.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 73  Next