The big walnut slab project for MT home 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:ROFLMAO:

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coat 6 applied.
2 more coats then I'll let it sit for a couple weeks. Then wax.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:04 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

sportsdad60 wrote:
Coat 6 applied.
2 more coats then I'll let it sit for a couple weeks. Then wax.

Your process and hard work have really popped out the grain... :bow:
Can you get a close up to show how your work has changed it in detail? I am picturing how your gun stock pics showed the translucence of the outer layer of grain.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This piece doesn't have enough coats on it yet to pop out like my wood stocks. And it hasn't been waxed yet.
Matter of fact, it might get more than 8 coats, I just put the 7th one on and there are still some dull spots.
My wood is sucking up oil like a Fredricks of Hollywood model!
These last few coats are not wet sanded. Simply applied, left to stand for 15 min, and gently wiped off.

I took my professional Nikon and a bounce flash out to the garage just now before applying the 7th coat.
Here are some close ups. (Anyone else see a grizzly bear standing on his hind legs and attacking, LAST photo below? Maybe I shouldn't read too much into Ink blots, but the new design's name is Bear Paw)

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking good!

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my doubts when I read you were going to do this with a belt sander. Looks good.

Qwerschiun: I figured the belt sander to give you a somewhat wavey surface. When you run your hand down the table can you feel any wavey-ness? How flat were you able to achieve?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was on vacation while you were sanding your ass off, so I just caught this thread. Nice work!

As I was reading about all of your sanding, I was thinking "Dang, I have a drum sander I would have let you borrow" that would have been awesome for this project.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I had my doubts when I read you were going to do this with a belt sander. Looks good.

Qwerschiun: I figured the belt sander to give you a somewhat wavey surface. When you run your hand down the table can you feel any wavey-ness? How flat were you able to achieve?

I learned from the previous slab (which had to be 'repaired' by a couple of hours of random orbital sanding) to stop at 120 grain with the belt sander.
I also learned not to put ANY weight on the belt sander and do strokes, orbital in nature, not just back and forth.
There are some slight grooves even after 120 grit but not as bad as using 180 on the belt sander.

After the belt, I do 120 grit orbital sanding up to 240. No waves!

THis video was helpful

Last edited by sportsdad60 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmalleck wrote:
I was on vacation while you were sanding your ass off, so I just caught this thread. Nice work!

As I was reading about all of your sanding, I was thinking "Dang, I have a drum sander I would have let you borrow" that would have been awesome for this project.

Now THAT'S the way to do it!
Since I'm becoming addicted to this hobby, I may end up with buying one after our move to MT!

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
I learned from the previous slab (which had to be 'repaired' by a couple of hours of random orbital sanding) to stop at 120 grain with the belt sander.
I also learned not to put ANY weight on the belt sander and do strokes, orbital in nature, not just back and forth.
There are some slight grooves even after 120 grit but not as bad as using 180 on the belt sander.

After the belt, I do 120 grit orbital sanding up to 240. No waves!

I never had such problems with my 3" or 4" belt sanders. All the way up to 400. I find it odd that 180 was cutting grooves. Is your plate perfectly flat, with zero dents? You may benefit from a carbon plate. To me, it's the miracle aid for belt sanders.

https://woodworker.com/3-x-6-graphite-s ... archmode=2

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, she's all wrapped up waiting for the next load to MT. I finished it off with a random orbital polisher and Howard Restor-A-Shine Wood Finish Polish.
After removing it, I double cardboard wrapped it.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep me updated on any of your projects pablo, its gonna be a long 11 months for me. All my shit is packed now! (all my hobbies, hand loading and wood tools)

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one word for you: LUCKY!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2