Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:02 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 PSA: Working with cyanoacrylate II: Laminating a thumb 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a bunch of pen barrels glued up to make a variety of pens and part of the process is truing the ends of the wood perpendicular to the end of the barrel without removing too much material while doing so. So, I'd finished all of the blanks (8), and was starting to round the corners which technically isn't necessary, but it makes it easier to get it started on the lathe so you're not hitting 4 hard corners, you're hitting 8 not so hard corners, so there's less chip out and breakage.

I had a nice piece of black locust burl for one of the new style bolt action "tec" pens (it comes with a stylus to use on your phone or tablet), and I knew there was a dodgy piece partially cracked off that I'd need to super glue before I turned it, but normally you don't need to worry about it when truing the blanks. Except today... I got three of the four hard edges softened and went to do the fourth, and POP! comes a triangular piece and I thought it'd gone down the throat of my disk sander's vacuum port and figured it was gone & I'd have to redo the whole thing. But, when I went to start chamfering the next piece, something was in the way. The missing piece was wedged between the sanding guide and the disc.

I took the chip and tried to use "super thin" super glue to fix it, except I neglected to take into account how fast it will traverse a crack and squeeze out the other side. Now, I was trying to only hold it in place with my thumb nail, and not the pad of my thumb, but it sure enough stuck that piece of wood to the end of my thumb nice & tight. Took me about 10 minutes of slowly working it with a single sided blade to get it off without tearing a hole in the pad of my left thumb. I think I only removed the first couple of layers of skin, because so far, there's no pain.

The full extant of the lamination.

After a bit of work

Almost there

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You couldn't just use acetone?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:

I could have, there's a can of it in close proximity, but I also knew I'd weaken the glue joint on the wood, and I didn't want to do that. I knew from experience that I could work this off my thumb with minimal damage to the pad, and zero damage to the joint.

The part where I feel stupid is there are in even closer proximity, latex gloves I could have worn which would have prevented this completely, no matter how much I managed to get on my thumb.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
Selador wrote:

I could have, there's a can of it in close proximity, but I also knew I'd weaken the glue joint on the wood, and I didn't want to do that. I knew from experience that I could work this off my thumb with minimal damage to the pad, and zero damage to the joint.

The part where I feel stupid is there are in even closer proximity, latex gloves I could have worn which would have prevented this completely, no matter how much I managed to get on my thumb.

Now THAT is dedication to the art! :bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DOH! Maybe you can use the extra appendage to your advantage somehow?

Divided we fall.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]