Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Look what followed me home! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
The E4OD is electronically controlled. No vacuum modulator. The vac pump is for the brake booster, cruise control, and to make the blend doors easier to operate in the HVAC system

My vacuum pump went out on my drive up to Nanaimo two weeks ago. I drove all the way back this morning without a working brake booster. Tomorrow I’ll pull it and take it back to autozone for a swap (lifetime warranty). While I’m in there I’ll check for the vacuum reservoir. I can’t remember if the van has one or not. My gas truck had one that rusted out so I went without for years. Finally replaced it and didn’t notice a difference. There’s only a couple odd situations where the gas engine doesn’t provide enough vacuum to power everything. On the diesel the vac pump runs continuously so there’s not much need for the reservoir. The brake booster itself is supposed to hold enough for a few brake applications and has a check valve in case there’s a leak in the rest of the system

White smoke is probably coolant but it could also just be moisture in the pipes from sitting. My Peterbilt blows loads of white smoke when it gets back on the road after sitting on a job site working the crane and mostly idling. Maybe getting it out for a long drive would blow everything out.

Yup. No vacuum modulator. But there is this controller up on the firewall. I read, in passing... And now I am too tired to remember where, or exactly what was said... But I did read that this has something to do with controlling the E4od. And if you look at that round white piece that is on it, it looks like a possible broken off vacuum line.

The E4od is also controlled by the FIPL. The diesel engine's version of the throttle position sensor. I have tested mine the best I could, and it seems to be close to what it should be. I could be wrong. And/or it might not be close ENOUGH.

The vacuum reservoir... It will take me 10 minutes to make and install a new reservoir. Need it... Don't need it. Doesn't matter, I'll replace it. No point in leaving a major vacuum leak, when it is so easy to fix. If I were not going to replace the can, I'd at least pull the line and plug it.

The white smoke. If it were coolant it would smell sweet, and the coolant level would be getting lower. Plus, there would probably be bubbles in the radiator. The coolant would begin to look muddy. None of these are the case. The smoke smells acrid, like fuel that has gone through the combustion chamber and not fully burned. Coolant level is staying put. No bubbles, surges or discoloration in the coolant.

With a diesel the white smoke can also be exactly as I described... Too much fuel in the combustion chamber, and not all of it is getting burned. It's common for diesels to smoke a bit of white smoke when they first start up. But once warmed up, it goes away. Mine is like this always, no matter how long it runs.

Timing the Injector Pump. If it is timed too fast, you get black smoke. Timed too slow, you get white smoke. Mine is set, if anything, just barely too slow. Lines are almost lined up. I'll try turning the pump to the left so that the timing increases. That is a major job, so it will probably wait till monday.

If I had a couple hundred dollars to spare, I'd top up all the fluids, make sure the brakes work, then drive it to the nearest diesel station and fill it up. Then I'd take a long highway ride, run out the fuel, fill it up again, and run that out. I do have a hunch that doing that will probably take care of a goodly bit of the white smoke. I'm not going to be able to afford that for a while. So I'm working at being able to just make a couple short trips, to get a better feel for it.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, finally I got some more work done on the truck.

A combination of throwing out my back, and having to recover from that... Bad weather. And just life circumstances, doc appointments, dentist appointments, etc... Kept me from making any more progress on this.

Monday, it turned sunny, very late in the day.

Yesterday, it was sunny when I got up. I was NOT going to waste that opportunity! Took a handful of excedrin for the back, and got busy.

First thing I did was to test the old injectors. Using my DIY pop tester. Man, those things really sucked! All but 2 of them leaked. 3 of them popped at a little over 1400 pounds. 1 popped at 1600. 3 popped at 1800. 1 popped at 1900.

Glad I replaced those.

But as you know, even after replacing them the engine ran really rough. Loped so badly the entire truck rocked with the lope. White smoke like a cloud making machine.

~~~

So the next job up was to advance the injection pump timing.

To do that, you have to take stuff out of the way. Then make a wrench to fit the three nuts you have to loosen. Then figure out a way to get the housing to spin against all the force that is holding it in place. Those steel lines to the injectors being the worst of that.

I got the stuff disassembled. Made the wrench, got the nuts loose... No way was I going to be able to spin that and hold it in place while I tightened the nuts back up. So, I stuck the open end of a wrench on a square point on the body of the pump. And ran a ratchet strap from the box end of the wrench, over the fender and down to the passenger tire, where I hooked the other end to the wheel.

Ratcheted that until I had moved the pump far enough. And tightened the nuts again. It worked!

Now, I have seen a lot of videos by now. I have seen some trucks running almost as bad as mine, and then seen them after they advanced the timing. But none of those ran anything like as badly as mine did.

They all advanced the timing the thickness of a dime. Then tried it again. That was enough for most. Some had to do it again for the thickness of a dime again. And still some had to do it for three thicknesses. Well, mine was running so badly that I just went for two thicknesses right away.

BAM!!!! Thing smoothed right out! Almost all the smoke is gone.

Here's the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2y2ZuXGiV8

Now...

It took 20 to 30 cranks to get it started. There is one guy who over-timed his, and then had the problem of hard starting when cold. When warmed up, it starts right up. (Once warmed, mine starts without even one full crank-over.) So I am wondering if I over-timed it.

But there is still smoke. Very little compared to what it was like before. Quite a bit more, if you step on the throttle.

While the smoke could STILL be just the fact that there is a bunch of cleaner in the fuel that is being burned...This still leads me to leaving it where it is for now, and running it for a while to see what happens.

I am really hoping to have this thing on the road by next monday or tuesday.

~~~

This morning, I went out to start it. Intending to see again, what it starts like when cold.

Cranked it and cranked it and cranked it.

At about the place where it started cold yesterday, it started acting like it was actually trying to start.

I continued this for a while... And continued. Dang it, it wants to start, why won't it just start????

Then remembered that I had laid a plastic chicken feed bag over the intake, before I shut it up, yesterday. This is to keep rain water from getting into the intake.

So... Yeah, I was starving it for air. LOL

Took that off, and in about two to three cranks she started up. Acting like you would expect it to act after being starved for air. (If it were a gas engine, it would be acting like it had flooded,. and you finally got it started. To give you an idea.)(Including plenty of smoke.)

So, I screwed up a pristine cold start. Didn't get exactly the info I wanted. LOL

But in thinking about it, I think that had the bag not been there, it probably would have started at about the same place that it started yesterday. If anything, maybe just a bit sooner.

So, gonna have to let it sit and get good and cold again, and try again tomorrow.

Today... I am having to walk and move real carefully again, because I hurt my back again yesterday.

Had I stopped at just the truck work, I would have been fine. But I needed to swap/rotate the tires on the car.

It's been driving like there were loose lug nuts on the front passenger side.

In swapping the tires, I discovered the tread on that tire was separating. Several bulges. Plenty enough to give all the trouble I have been having with it.

Apparently the PO had put new tires on the rear, because those looked almost brand new. I just swapped those to the front. Then put the spare, (Also looks almost new), and the driver's front, onto the back.

Point is, my back is hurting again. I've got to be careful.

But... I am going to try to get some work done on the headlights, at the very least.

Here is a pic, to start with...
Attachment:
hlightbacks.png

There is a black plastic plate that goes all the way across the front. Under the grill. This plate is the mounting plate for the lights and the parts of the grill that surround the lights.

It has been broken, on the driver's side. You can see the fiberglass repair that was attempted.

Good try. As, I have to say, are all the other 'repairs' that I have found so far. MUCH better than you see from the average DIY'er. In fact, if I had the fiberglass stuff myself, I might actually try to repair that again, with the fiberglass. I would fiberglass front and back of that plate. Plus, I would fiberglass in place, washers where the holes are.

But it didn't actually hold, and the hole where the mount/adjuster clips into, has become wallered out. Plus, there are other cracks that aren't obvious, but they ALL add up to it being impossible to mount and adjust the headlight.

The best thing for this would be to find one in a junkyard and just replace that entire plate. Not likely I am going to make it to a junkyard any time soon.

So I am going to make a pattern from the passenger side. Cut a piece of tin, to match that pattern. Flip that... And bolt it to the driver's side.

That is what I will be working on today. Trying not to move around, any more than I have to.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn, Jeff, you’re a busy boy!

Good progress with the truck. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8